The search for a new Defensive Coordinator

With all due respect.... and I really mean that.... some of the ideas given here are down right scary.  With all the draft picks spent on Defensive Talent the last 3 years why would we massively change the scheme.... albeit to a scheme that doesn’t fit the players?  

Why would we want a DC who runs a zone coverage scheme.... when Mullen and Arnette are substantially better in man?  

Why would we can’t to go 3-4 when Ferrell isn’t ideally suited for 3-4 DE and Crosby isn’t a good 3-4 OLB and certainly not a good 3-4 DE.

What kind of longevity could Wade Phillips give us?  How can you build a defense around a DC’s scheme when he’s likely to only be around 1 year and at best 2?

Stay the course with the 4-3 and man coverage.

Bring in a young innovative mind who can work with what we have.  All these washed up options sicken me. 

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

With all due respect.... and I really mean that.... some of the ideas given here are down right scary.  With all the draft picks spent on Defensive Talent the last 3 years why would we massively change the scheme.... albeit to a scheme that doesn’t fit the players?  

Why would we want a DC who runs a zone coverage scheme.... when Mullen and Arnette are substantially better in man?  

Why would we can’t to go 3-4 when Ferrell isn’t ideally suited for 3-4 DE and Crosby isn’t a good 3-4 OLB and certainly not a good 3-4 DE.

What kind of longevity could Wade Phillips give us?  How can you build a defense around a DC’s scheme when he’s likely to only be around 1 year and at best 2?

Stay the course with the 4-3 and man coverage.

Bring in a young innovative mind who can work with what we have.  All these washed up options sicken me. 

Are we sure that wade can't run a variant of a 4-3? Most defenses are nickel in base anyways.

10 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Are we sure that wade can't run a variant of a 4-3? Most defenses are nickel in base anyways.

Very valid question.... I’m certainly no expert on his defense.  He’s a great defensive mind.... if he could run a 4-3 and we knew he could give us 3 years of service I’d sign up for his bandwagon right now.

but We need longevity.... so we can draft for the future and sign players to multi year deals and know the system will fit them next year.

6 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Very valid question.... I’m certainly no expert on his defense.  He’s a great defensive mind.... if he could run a 4-3 and we knew he could give us 3 years of service I’d sign up for his bandwagon right now.

but We need longevity.... so we can draft for the future and sign players to multi year deals and know the system will fit them next year.

For sure. I mean I'm also game to bring in Morris or a host of other guys. 

I’m kinda Surprised none of the top college DC’s have been given any consideration.

Jim Leonard of Wisconsin

Brent Venables of Clemson

Jimmy Lake of Washington 

Dave Aranda Of LSU

or Derrick Ansley, who was mentioned.

I really give zero F’s that these guys would cost 3.5-4.5M/year.  Zero F’s!

after seeing how we wasted 50+M on horrible signings and the fact that coaches don’t count against the cap yet would improve the team substantially.

if we have 9.5M for Carl Nassib we should make room to throw 4M at a solid DC.

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

For sure. I mean I'm also game to bring in Morris or a host of other guys. 

Morris? No thanks!

Unless he’s been running man coverage the last few years..... cuz the last thing I want is to waste Mullen and Arnette(and I.Johnson) in a zone scheme. 

10 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m kinda Surprised none of the top college DC’s have been given any consideration.

Jim Leonard of Wisconsin

Jimmy Lake of Washington 

Dave Aranda Of LSU

after seeing how we wasted 50+M on horrible signings and the fact that coaches don’t count against the cap yet would improve the team substantially.

Lake is now the HC of Washington and Aranada is the HC of Baylor. 

So they'd cost way too much because we'd have to buy them out. 

Just now, Blazer026 said:

Lake is now the HC of Washington and Aranada is the HC of Baylor. 

So they'd cost way too much because we'd have to buy them out. 

I didn’t realize Lake got promoted.... scratch them off the list...... thanks.

either way I’d rather have a young innovative and adaptable college DC then some retread that’s scheme doesn’t fit our personnel.

I think college coaches have to be more adaptable by nature.  They have to adjust to what talent they have.... and coach them up.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Jim Leonard of Wisconsin

Jimmy Lake of Washington 

Dave Aranda Of LSU

I like all those names, but mostly think whomever is hired will have Gruden ties, hence Ansley.

12 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Doesn't he always run a base 3-4 type defence though?  I know we're in Nickel a lot but he had two edge guys rushing standing up with the rams last going off and not sure who fits that profile here, Beasley and McKinley may be poor man's options, Crosby and Key possibly but unlikely Ferrell........ Hurst, Hankins and Irving maybe form the line?? Great coach but seems we'll need a lot of new faces to form an adequate group.........

Ferrell would be better as an 3-4 DE