The search for a new Defensive Coordinator

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Kris Richard as a DC/defensive play caller (Seattle 2015-2017, Dallas 2018-2019)

2015: 2nd in ypg allowed, 1st in ppg allowed, 23 takeaways, 36 sacks

2016: 5th in ypg allowed, 3rd in ppg allowed, 19 takeaways, 42 sacks

2017: 11th in ypg allowed, 13th in ppg allowed, 25 takeaways, 39 sacks

2018: 7th in ypg allowed, 6th in ppg allowed, 20 takeaways, 39 sacks

2019: 9th in ypg allowed, 11th in ppg allowed, 17 takeaways, 39 sacks

Kris Richard a good name, former Raider too. I like Richard or The DC from Tennessee 

10 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Wade Phillips is an all timer. But his approach grows stale after 2-3 seasons (see Rams) And none of his guys ever amount to anything in the coaching ranks. So your idea is misguided.

Dennis Allen was on Wade's staff when Phillips was HC of Atlanta (I think the start of Allen's career)
Todd Bowles coached secondary under Wade in Dallas
Jeff Fisher got his start on Wade's staff in Philly
Mike Nolan went from ST to LB when Wade took over in Denver
Vance Joseph got his first not-assistant position job as secondary coach under Wade Phillips in Houston

That's 5 guys he developed early that are defensive backgrounds that at one point eventually ascended to head coach.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

He has the size and where he's a little slow as a 3-4 DE he's fast for a 3-4

It's not just about frame though, he has never shown when playing inside for us the ability to dominate guards with speed or shoot through the A or B gaps as far as I have seen. He does play with good leverage at end and he is disciplined in the run game but he doesn't seem a natural 34 type to me TBH. He maybe can play well there but it's another big question mark for me.

12 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

We invested a lot on defense the past 2 drafts, we need coaching to develop these players and put them in situations to thrive. Our playcalling never had a chance 

You blame play calling for players not being able to get off blocks or not knowing their assignments? Is play calling what caused Abram to run off script and leave the best TE in football wide open in the end zone? Is play calling the reason the Dline can't win upfront and create pressure? 

Stop making excuses for the fact that there is a talent problem on defense. There is some "potential" if coached up but there are a lot of below average players on that side of the ball.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I don't care how old Wade is if he can get us to 11th or higher it's a win.

I'd love to see a list of player he had to work with for context. We know he had Donald in LA. He had Von and Ware in his time in Denver. Watt and Antonio Smith in Houston

He can scheme with the best of them, but Wade has never had a lack of pure pass rushing talent. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trojan said:

Dennis Allen was on Wade's staff when Phillips was HC of Atlanta (I think the start of Allen's career)
Todd Bowles coached secondary under Wade in Dallas
Jeff Fisher got his start on Wade's staff in Philly
Mike Nolan went from ST to LB when Wade took over in Denver
Vance Joseph got his first not-assistant position job as secondary coach under Wade Phillips in Houston

That's 5 guys he developed early that are defensive backgrounds that at one point eventually ascended to head coach.

I get your point. I was speaking more recently. And none of those guys immediately stepped into the DC role following Wade moving out and had success. That was more what I was alluding to. I don't think you bring in a 73 year old coach for 2 years and trust someone on his staff takes over with great success.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I get your point. I was speaking more recently. And none of those guys immediately stepped into the DC role following Wade moving out and had success. That was more what I was alluding to. I don't think you bring in a 73 year old coach for 2 years and trust someone on his staff takes over with great success.

It’s a fair point. If it was up to me I’d rather we went with a younger guy with a longer shelf life who can develop a system and a culture over time.

But at this stage though I can definitely see the appeal in a stop gap guy who will give you a couple of solid years, even he’s not laying any future foundations. The defense has been so bad for so long that even a flash in the pan couple of years of mid-level success under Wade Phillips is a very appealing proposition. 

5 hours ago, Nightmare said:

It’s a fair point. If it was up to me I’d rather we went with a younger guy with a longer shelf life who can develop a system and a culture over time.

But at this stage though I can definitely see the appeal in a stop gap guy who will give you a couple of solid years, even he’s not laying any future foundations. The defense has been so bad for so long that even a flash in the pan couple of years of mid-level success under Wade Phillips is a very appealing proposition. 

Wade would be risking his reputation with this roster as it sits currently. He'd have little to work with.

23 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Wade would be risking his reputation with this roster as it sits currently. He'd have little to work with.

It’s possible (probable?) he would seek assurances that there will be some investment on that side of the ball. I’d imagine all the respectable names we sound out about the DC position will do similar, as our salary cap spend ratio between offense & defense is ridiculous.

31 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

We need good coaches.

Looks like Mike Nolan won’t be back in Dallas next year. Not one I find particularly appealing, but another “name” for consideration. 

I was like, yeah.... good coaches and Mike Nolan really don't git together. He's cheeks 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I'd love to see a list of player he had to work with for context. We know he had Donald in LA. He had Von and Ware in his time in Denver. Watt and Antonio Smith in Houston

He can scheme with the best of them, but Wade has never had a lack of pure pass rushing talent. 

I'll stick to notable names (not just HoF players):

New Orleans: Rickey Jackson was the only big name I saw

Philadelphia: Reggie White, Eric Allen 

Denver: Greg Kragan, Steve Atwater, Karl Mecklinburg, Dennis Smith

Buffalo: Bruce Smith, Jim Jeffcoat, Phil Hansen, John Holecek, Bryce Paup, Kurt Schulz, Ted Washington, Antoine Winfield, Pat Williams, Sam Cowart

Atlanta: Keith Brooking, John Holecek, Mark Simoneau, Ray Buchanan, Pat Kearney, 

San Diego: Igor Olshanskey, Jamal Williams, Stephen Cooper, Donnie Edwards, Randall Godfrey, Ben Leber, Shaun Phillips, Quentin Jammer, Drayton Florence, Shawne Merriman

Dallas: Jay Ratliff, Anthony Spencer, Akin Ayodele, Kevin Burnett, DeMarcus Ware, Terrance Newman, Roy Williams 

Houston: Johnathan Joseph, Antonio Smith, JJ Watt, Conor Barwin, Bryan Cushing, DeMeco Ryans, Glover Quinn, Kareem Jackson, Quentin Demps

Denver: Von Miller, Antonio Smith, DeMarcus Ware, Chris Harris Jr, Danny Trevathan, Aqib Talib, TJ Ware, Darian Stewart, Shaq Barrett, Brandon Marshall

LA Rams: Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Mark Barron, Robert Quinn, Connor Barwin, Corey Littleton, Trumaine Johnson, Nickell Roby-Coleman, LaMarcus Joyner, Ndamukong Suh, Alec Ogletree, Eric Weddle, Clay Matthews. 

Some were prime, some were twilight, but virtually all of them were overall far better lineups than we have.

• Like 1