The search for a new Defensive Coordinator

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'll stick to notable names (not just HoF players):

New Orleans: Rickey Jackson was the only big name I saw

Philadelphia: Reggie White, Eric Allen 

Denver: Greg Kragan, Steve Atwater, Karl Mecklinburg, Dennis Smith

Buffalo: Bruce Smith, Jim Jeffcoat, Phil Hansen, John Holecek, Bryce Paup, Kurt Schulz, Ted Washington, Antoine Winfield, Pat Williams, Sam Cowart

Atlanta: Keith Brooking, John Holecek, Mark Simoneau, Ray Buchanan, Pat Kearney, 

San Diego: Igor Olshanskey, Jamal Williams, Stephen Cooper, Donnie Edwards, Randall Godfrey, Ben Leber, Shaun Phillips, Quentin Jammer, Drayton Florence, Shawne Merriman

Dallas: Jay Ratliff, Anthony Spencer, Akin Ayodele, Kevin Burnett, DeMarcus Ware, Terrance Newman, Roy Williams 

Houston: Johnathan Joseph, Antonio Smith, JJ Watt, Conor Barwin, Bryan Cushing, DeMeco Ryans, Glover Quinn, Kareem Jackson, Quentin Demps

Denver: Von Miller, Antonio Smith, DeMarcus Ware, Chris Harris Jr, Danny Trevathan, Aqib Talib, TJ Ware, Darian Stewart, Shaq Barrett, Brandon Marshall

LA Rams: Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Mark Barron, Robert Quinn, Connor Barwin, Corey Littleton, Trumaine Johnson, Nickell Roby-Coleman, LaMarcus Joyner, Ndamukong Suh, Alec Ogletree, Eric Weddle, Clay Matthews. 

Some were prime, some were twilight, but virtually all of them were overall far better lineups than we have.

No: pat swilling?

11 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I'd love to see a list of player he had to work with for context. We know he had Donald in LA. He had Von and Ware in his time in Denver. Watt and Antonio Smith in Houston

He can scheme with the best of them, but Wade has never had a lack of pure pass rushing talent. 

I'm researching now looked at the Saints so far he had 1 first round pick on the DL in his 5 seasons as DC.

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Wade would be risking his reputation with this roster as it sits currently. He'd have little to work with.

That's what you say now until he develop guy's the way they should have been and become house hold names. The raiders have been poor at developing their talent for a long time.

14 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

That's what you say now until he develop guy's the way they should have been and become house hold names. The raiders have been poor at developing their talent for a long time.

Exactly Perfect example buck vs rod. Rod imo set the dline back this year.

9 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I would pray this scenario exists. Because you are correct, they've been awful at developing talent. But none of it really developed anyplace else, so did they evaluate talent properly to start with?

Outside a couple role players (Harris, Autry, Joseph). What other former Raiders have elevated their careers after leaving?

8 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Exactly Perfect example buck vs rod. Rod imo set the dline back this year.

What did Bucker do any differently? They were still bottom of the league in sacks and pressures. I think the expectations were higher for Rod because of his career success. But maybe the talent just isn't there?

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

What did Bucker do any differently? They were still bottom of the league in sacks and pressures. I think the expectations were higher for Rod because of his career success. But maybe the talent just isn't there?

Same exact talent got us over 30 sacks last season from what I can recall.  Only new names are Collins and Nassib, they had 10 sacks combined last season.  I'd rather have Buckner.  I still want Wade Phillips either way.

17 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'll stick to notable names (not just HoF players):

New Orleans: Rickey Jackson was the only big name I saw

Philadelphia: Reggie White, Eric Allen 

Denver: Greg Kragan, Steve Atwater, Karl Mecklinburg, Dennis Smith

Buffalo: Bruce Smith, Jim Jeffcoat, Phil Hansen, John Holecek, Bryce Paup, Kurt Schulz, Ted Washington, Antoine Winfield, Pat Williams, Sam Cowart

Atlanta: Keith Brooking, John Holecek, Mark Simoneau, Ray Buchanan, Pat Kearney, 

San Diego: Igor Olshanskey, Jamal Williams, Stephen Cooper, Donnie Edwards, Randall Godfrey, Ben Leber, Shaun Phillips, Quentin Jammer, Drayton Florence, Shawne Merriman

Dallas: Jay Ratliff, Anthony Spencer, Akin Ayodele, Kevin Burnett, DeMarcus Ware, Terrance Newman, Roy Williams 

Houston: Johnathan Joseph, Antonio Smith, JJ Watt, Conor Barwin, Bryan Cushing, DeMeco Ryans, Glover Quinn, Kareem Jackson, Quentin Demps

Denver: Von Miller, Antonio Smith, DeMarcus Ware, Chris Harris Jr, Danny Trevathan, Aqib Talib, TJ Ware, Darian Stewart, Shaq Barrett, Brandon Marshall

LA Rams: Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Mark Barron, Robert Quinn, Connor Barwin, Corey Littleton, Trumaine Johnson, Nickell Roby-Coleman, LaMarcus Joyner, Ndamukong Suh, Alec Ogletree, Eric Weddle, Clay Matthews. 

Some were prime, some were twilight, but virtually all of them were overall far better lineups than we have.

So what I'm reading here is that we need to cut ties with some underperforming players and invest it all in the defense with some big name signings and trades.

40 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Same exact talent got us over 30 sacks last season from what I can recall.  Only new names are Collins and Nassib, they had 10 sacks combined last season.  I'd rather have Buckner.  I still want Wade Phillips either way.

2019, Benson Mayowa had 7 sacks. Second on the team to Crosby's 10. You'd rather have Bucker due to recency bias. If you gave Rod talent to work with, he'll produce. Has his entire career. 

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

2019, Benson Mayowa had 7 sacks. Second on the team to Crosby's 10. You'd rather have Bucker due to recency bias. If you gave Rod talent to work with, he'll produce. Has his entire career. 

People also forget that like 60% of Crosby's production came in 2 games and we struggled most of the year (outside of a few games) to rush the passer. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

And we booted mayowa and overpaid Nassib booted buck for rod booted booted pj for Collins and we have 15 sacks total with 3 games left. Rod couldn’t even get His homie Collins he pounded the table for to produce. Yea we were better with buck. We can’t even dominate vs weak teams now

34 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Benson has 4 sacks this season, on par to have maybe 5ish?  Buckner got some really good production out of him.  Crosby looked so much better last year too.  I don't even know what happened to Crosby.  He was so much better at blowing up the quick screens and just playing with his ears pinned back.  The DL looks consistently out of place and is terrible at setting edges.  It's all a crap show.  Bring me Wade Philips!

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

https://twitter.com/FB_FilmAnalysis/status/1339630458556968960?s=20

Rod coaching the DL to get worked?

Edited by Jerry
  • Like 1