The search for a new Defensive Coordinator

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

This article has some good stuff. Thanks. I failed to see anything in there about Rod however. More Guenthers schemes, soft edges with no fill. 

I did find the quotes tasty 

To get a different perspective on the biggest issues with the Raiders defense, I spoke to a coach from a team that faced the Raiders this season about the biggest weaknesses that this team saw and how they wanted to attack it. The first issue is an obvious one: talent. The Raiders defense is devoid of overall speed and playmakers. However, there were also some consistent schematic issues that showed up week to week.

One of the first players the coach brought up was Abram. He said the staff thought he was “dirty and couldn’t cover.”

The Raiders desperately need a defensive coordinator who can get the unit to play at around a league-average level. The bar isn’t that high, but from the outside looking in, the job isn’t particularly attractive.

Good coaches don’t just want to be average, they want to put together elite units. But that’s going to be hard to do with the defensive talent that the Raiders have on the roster right now. 

The overarching theme in this is the Raiders have little talent. 

On 12/17/2020 at 1:05 PM, big_palooka said:

The last quote is what I find most interesting.  Gruden wants an average defensive unit and that is why we have gone with the perceived safe picks.  This is also why it is going to be hard to get a good DC.  Gruden will probably stay away from a young new DC also because that would be a perceived threat.  I believe our options are going to be some established DC that gets fired and we know what we are getting.  I would not expect anything exciting.  I could be wrong and I hope I am wrong but for 3 years I have been saying the same thing and there is no evidence to show otherwise.

18 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Is the Falcons are dumb enough to not retain R.Morris Jon has to make that call. Dude showed yesterday that he can come up with a scheme to contain the Chiefs and has turned around that Falcons defense that was giving up 30 points a game to 20 a game. 

Falcons are definitely much better than their record. It's crazy that the 17th scoring offense and 19th scoring defense has won only 4 games.

Edited by oakdb36
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 4:05 PM, big_palooka said:

This article has some good stuff. Thanks. I failed to see anything in there about Rod however. More Guenthers schemes, soft edges with no fill. 

I did find the quotes tasty 

I agree with the view of the overall talent level of the Raiders defense but someone like Abram. He finished 7th in pro bowl voting.

https://sports.yahoo.com/six-raiders-finish-top-ten-202253506.html

Edited by Bitty 2.0

On 12/17/2020 at 1:05 PM, big_palooka said:

Facts. We literally don't have even one player that commands double teams in the front 7 or a guy that can take opposing weapons out of the game on the back end. We need difference makers on defense if we're ever going to be even halfway decent. 

31 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Facts. We literally don't have even one player that commands double teams in the front 7 or a guy that can take opposing weapons out of the game on the back end. We need difference makers on defense if we're ever going to be even halfway decent. 

That has been my feeling for a while now.  The past two off-seasons I have wanted this team to do whatever it takes to get a player that commands a double team.  Spend the money or the draft capital.  If you put a player like Chris Jones on our line I believe it completely changes the level of play for every other man on that line and it trickles down to the LBs and DBs.  One difference maker and then we can see what everyone else has.  Getting rid of Guenther was step one.  Getting a good DC is step two.  Step three we add a difference maker on the line.

• Like 1

Hiring Philips would be an instant morale boost to this kick in the gut time for Raider Fans. I’d be stoked if we hired Philips. Absolutely stoked. He tends to flame out if you keep him around too long, but usually his first few years net an Elite Defense almost every single time. Think of him as a Jack Del Rio type of hire. Del Rio was never meant to be a long term solution. He was a solid experienced coach, with a proven track record, that can change the culture of a team. Philips would be a great DC pick for this team and could really turn around this horrible defense we have had for a decade now. 

We have not had an Elite D since the 80’s. Not in my lifetime. Philips is great at turning defenses around almost instantly. 

Edited by BayRaider

On 12/28/2020 at 11:02 AM, drfrey13 said:

That has been my feeling for a while now.  The past two off-seasons I have wanted this team to do whatever it takes to get a player that commands a double team.  Spend the money or the draft capital.  If you put a player like Chris Jones on our line I believe it completely changes the level of play for every other man on that line and it trickles down to the LBs and DBs.  One difference maker and then we can see what everyone else has.  Getting rid of Guenther was step one.  Getting a good DC is step two.  Step three we add a difference maker on the line.

This is essentially the anti-argument to trading Khalil Mack. Given Gruden traded him, I don't think we are targeting that type of a player unless we happen to hit in the draft... and our GM hasn't really been targeting upside guys early (Quinton Bell and Maxx Crosby come time mind as athletic risk/projections in the 7th and 4th, maybe that Clemson LB Muse we took as well).

2 hours ago, Trojan said:

This is essentially the anti-argument to trading Khalil Mack. Given Gruden traded him, I don't think we are targeting that type of a player unless we happen to hit in the draft... and our GM hasn't really been targeting upside guys early (Quinton Bell and Maxx Crosby come time mind as athletic risk/projections in the 7th and 4th, maybe that Clemson LB Muse we took as well).

I think the argument to trading Mack is that this team wasn't going anywhere with him. Which is absolutely true. Everyone wants elite players. It's having them at the right time in your team building phase that matters the most.

Wade Phillips is a catchy name and has had a lot of success in his career. But thinking he can come in with the current slate of talent and the defense would transform is misguided. There is some question about the fit of some these players. Wade has also had some elite pass rushers coming into the job that made his life easier. He wouldn't have that here.

I also question a 3-4 defense which is his preferred alignment. A 4-3 IMO allows you to play faster at LB which matches better with what they are competing in the AFC with.