2K20: Game #14 - Kansas City at New Orleans

onejayhawk

15 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I'm watching replays of Hardman's toe dragger. It's a great play by Mecole, but how in the world did Mahomes put it there? All the focus is on the catch, but the throw is obscene.

J

Mahomes doing Mahomes things under pressure 

The snap counts are in. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/21/kansas-city-chiefs-miami-dolphins-snap-counts-week-15/

Two things jump out. The OL played the entire game intact. Fisher was abused the whole game by Trey Hendrickson, but Wylie did very well at RT, causing Cam Jordan to lose his cool and get ejected. The OL also did a fine job blocking for the run. Clyde and Bell had over 140 yards and neither broke a long run. 

Also significant is that five DB all played more than 90% of the snaps, including L'Jarius Sneed who is a rookie. Five DL played over 50% of the snaps. Mike Danna was not one of them but Turk Wharton was. It's an interesting mix, since Wharton is a standout run defender. Alex Okafor, who is not a good run defender, also played more than 50%. Clark, Smith and Kpassagnon are the other three. Nnadi, Thornhill, Pennel, Danna, Gay, and Fenton all played less than 1/2 of the snaps, Fenton getting just three. DeAndre Baker played only special teams. 

In other news, The Chiefs finish a perfect 8-0 on the road. Clyde is likely out for the regular season but could be back for the playoffs. RB goes back on the draft board.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/21/kansas-city-chiefs-clyde-edwards-helaire-ankle-hip-injuries-regular-season-playoff-outlook/

J

25 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Clyde is likely out for the regular season but could be back for the playoffs. RB goes back on the draft board.

Nah. CEH is lucky. Could have been so much worse, which is what I feared when watching. We'll see how he bounces back. We still have Bell and SB mvp D.Williams. Maybe a 6 or 7rd pick at best.

Tommy Townsend, the punter, was named special teams player of the week. He placed three of six punts inside the 20 and also launched a 61 yard kick.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/23/tommy-townsend-named-afc-special-teams-player-of-the-week/ 

When we analyze the impact of the 2020 draft, some UDFA will figure in the conversation. Townsend is one of the guys who will figure prominently.

J

On 12/22/2020 at 6:56 PM, kingseanjohn said:

If anyone at the Chiefs wants to sign me to scouting/personnel, my PMs are open. 

McGuire signing confirmed as per NFL transaction notifications.

BTW: Spencer Ware was signed to Chicago's PS yesterday as well.

On 12/23/2020 at 7:50 AM, onejayhawk said:

Tommy Townsend, the punter, was named special teams player of the week. He placed three of six punts inside the 20 and also launched a 61 yard kick.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/23/tommy-townsend-named-afc-special-teams-player-of-the-week/ 

When we analyze the impact of the 2020 draft, some UDFA will figure in the conversation. Townsend is one of the guys who will figure prominently.

J

I always forget that he’s a rookie, dude looks like a pro already 

43 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I always forget that he’s a rookie, dude looks like a pro already 

True that.

Sneed is also looking very comfortable for a rookie. It has been a long time since we had a CB with his physicality. Sneed lists at 6'1", 195 but he plays bigger. \

J

2 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

True that.

Sneed is also looking very comfortable for a rookie. It has been a long time since we had a CB with his physicality. Sneed lists at 6'1", 195 but he plays bigger. \

J

Wharton ... first time in a while the Chiefs found an UDFA who could become more than ST/rotational depth in a while. I still think Pringle could take over for Robinson  ... but more? Dirty Dan is the last one I remember ... signed back in 2014.

Waters was an UDFA back in the day. He made Pro Bowls. 

Turk Wharton is a true gem. His hand work is unreal given his level of experience. He has size/strength issues, but an offseason conditioning program will help that.

You will note that the lack of LB had us playing over 90% of the Saints game with 5 DB. Yet, Alvin Kamara did not eat us alive. Part of that was playing with a lead but part was Wharton playing over half the snaps at DT. He's even better against the run than Pennel.

J