Week 15: Panters at Packers

packfanfb

Now that we are back in control of the No. 1 seed, a few things need to happen in order to keep it, with the first being: Beat 4-9 Carolina. Here we go. 

What: Rhule's Panthers v. Pettine's Packers

Carolina Panthers head coach Matt Rhule press conference after All-Access  Live :: WRALSportsFan.com

National Football League GIF by NFL - Find & Share on GIPHY

When: 8:15 PM (EST), Saturday Night Football -- NFL Network

Where: Lambeau 

Let's Go. (GIFs for GB/Carolina suck, so we got pictures instead)

Green Bay Packers vs. Carolina Panthers: Week 10 game photos

Watch it again: Packers outlast Panthers in the snow

Chilly temperatures evoke memories of Panthers' playoff trip to Green Bay -  Acme Packing Company

Best win by Packers over Panthers at Lambeau?

Fun Story: The Packers lead the overall series against Carolina 10-6. The Packers are 4-2 against Carolina in Green Bay, with losses in 1999 and 2008. For those who remember, the 1999 game was during the Ray Rhodes "era" and it is the only game in my life that the Packers have lost at Lambeau when I was in attendance (I've been to roughly 15 or so games). The ending of the 1999 game was an example of maybe the worst clock management by a head coach I have ever witnessed. Basically, the Packers had the lead 31-27 with about 7 minutes left. In vintage GB defense fashion, we proceed to give up a 7 minute drive to Steve Beuerlein & Co., and on 3rd and 13 with 54 seconds left, Beuerlein hits Walls for a 8 yard gain, down to the 5 yard line, setting up 4th and goal (penalty earlier made it 1st and goal from the 13). Now, the clock is running after the catch and the Packers have 3 timeouts. It's 4th down, Carolina has 1 timeout left, and literally the Panthers cannot get a first down (absent a penalty). So, Rhodes calls a timeout to preserve time in case Carolina scores right? It's win-win in that if Carolina scores, Favre gets about 45 seconds or so so try to get a game-tying FG with 2 timeouts, and if Carolina doesn't score, you just kneel on the football twice and win, so of course he calls the TO, right? 

Wrong. The wondrous Ray decides "F it" and lets the clock run all the way down to 5 seconds, and then Carolina uses their last timeout. Then with 5 seconds left, Beuerlein runs the QB draw from the 5 (which of course our D isn't ready for) and he walks in for a game-ender. I still vividly remember afterwards, Rhodes, in response to being questioned about not using a TO, saying "Well, we wanted the game to end on that one play." Well, (1) it would have anyways, and (2) it did, and you lost. Thankfully, Ray was gone soon thereafter. 

That's my story for the day. Go Pack. 

Edited by packfanfb

Glad this thread is up nice and early, we've got to get into postseason form.  Also, I see by some of the comments that it's 5 o'clock somewhere.

A Saturday night game at Lambeau is unique, let's make it one to remember.  There is snow in the forecast although I don't know at what time of day.  Last season when we beat them, the snow started right into the 3rd quarter and by the end of the game, put a nice light icing on the victory cake.  Why not twice?

Edited by Refugee

16 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This team = Green Bay

This team is also better than the Panther

This team is also better than the Titan

This team is also better than the Bear

assuming KC beats NO, all they have to do is TCOB vs the bear and the panther, and we don't have to remember the titan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

assuming KC beats NO, all they have to do is TCOB vs the bear and the panther, and we don't have to remember the titan

Titan have the 30th ranked pass defense.

I am unsure why we are so nervous about that game. Yes, they are the best remaining team we face - but their defense is significantly worse than our's and our offense is ever so slightly better than their's.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I am unsure why we are so nervous about that game. Yes, they are the best remaining team we face - but their defense is significantly worse than our's and our offense is ever so slightly better than their's.

Because Derrick Henry can determine the outcome of this game. He can either keep sustained drives for the Titans by rushing for 10-15 yards at a time then fall down or he could break 30-40 yards while throwing guys like sullivan and king into the 3rd row with stiff arms and make this a shoot out.

DVOA

GB Offense (2) vs CAR Defense (25)

GB Defense (20) vs CAR Offense (10)

Elementary Analysis

GB Offense will score like the 5th best offense (average of 2nd best offense vs 8th worst defense): 28.2

CAR Offense will score like the 12th best offense (average of 10th best offense and 13th worse defense): 25.1

Factor in 3 points for home:

GB: 30

CAR: 23

26 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

have you seen this team play the titans?

Sometimes it goes great, sometimes it goes oh so horribly wrong.

GB hasn't beaten a half-decent team since they played the saints, and they lost to the vikings in that span.

Clearly you're very high on this team, and while this isn't the same overperformance that we saw last year, this is still a team that against a tougher schedule would have a few more losses.

Edited by skibrett15

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

yes. in person. was a lovely game day experience

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201212230gnb.htm

yeah, i was recalling the one before that.  The gabbert game I must have missed.

Oh, that wasn't even the gabbert game (which I see now was preseason).

I was remembering this one, the 21 points in the 1st Q
https://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=400874572

Edited by skibrett15