Week 15: Panters at Packers

packfanfb

3 hours ago, Reaper said:

Doing carne asada and smoked queso for dinner; smoked ribs and 3 types of wings for an in game snack. 

Nice. I’m breaking down a few ducks with a friend, going to confit the legs for later(fancy) and build up a nice duck gumbo with the rest. It’s strange to have a Saturday game day but I’m officially off work for a while and can catch up and do some cooking with chosen family.  It’s a good day. 

• Like 1

I have a Weber Genesis Gas Grill.  And I smoke on it often.  No offense to Traeger, I'm sure they are good.  But I can do a lot of basic smoking with just this one $20 unit.

Smoke tube.  I have a tube that lasts for 4 hours.  Light it, blow it out, put on the meat.  Make sure the grill is off and just let the meat cold smoke.

Maybe I do a 4 hour smoke, maybe its 8 hours (2 tubes full of pellets).  

Chicken stays juicy and doesn't dry out.  Pork is amazing.  Even fish is great.

Once the smoke it done, I turn the grill on to about 250 and cook my meat slowly.

And as a bonus, since I'm using the kettle to smoke, when I grill simple burgers or steaks, they get a little bit of that smoke taste from the kettle.

I'll get a Traeger some day.  But till then the $20 smoke tube is pretty amazing.

16 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Two traegers; a big green egg and a Weber kettle

Yeah, not a huge fan of the Traegers. They are fine for what they do, I'm just not a pellet guy. I've had about 6 Weber WSMs over the years, but I just upgraded to a Humphreys cabinet smoker. Best investment Ive made in a long time.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Reaper said:

I have two of them personally I wouldn’t buy one both were gifts. I prefer my green egg over every other smoker/grill I’ve used.

One of my employees has had problem after problem with his Traeger and his issues aren't the repeated issues you read about in the BBQ groups on Facebook. I'll stick to my Weber kettle...

Also, my employer just got one of those huge grills that can feed the whole town. Can't wait to smoke some baby backs and shoulders on that thing!

Is Panther edible btw? Anyone know?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

Nice. I’m breaking down a few ducks with a friend, going to confit the legs for later(fancy) and build up a nice duck gumbo with the rest. It’s strange to have a Saturday game day but I’m officially off work for a while and can catch up and do some cooking with chosen family.  It’s a good day. 

Duck is delicious im pretty jealous.

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

Make sure you save as much fat as possible...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Duck is delicious im pretty jealous.

Your spread sounds top notch, no need to be jealous. I’ve been using my Weber for smoking but I’m pretty novice with it. Things like ribs and shoulder are pretty forgiving and come out great. Haven’t tried a brisket yet which takes more control.

40 minutes ago, Joe said:

Make sure you save as much fat as possible...

Definitely.  That’s were the confit comes in but after that duck fat is gold on everything, especially potatoes. Plus you get some cracklings after rendering. 

68, Zack Johnson, 6’6 guard and team Sasquatch gets the call up over Braden for this one. I could see him getting a few snaps as an extra lineman on some short yardage situations.

Don’t know if he’s any good but it’s always a plus to have a Wookiee getting of of the bus. 

2 hours ago, Reaper said:

I have two of them personally I wouldn’t buy one both were gifts. I prefer my green egg over every other smoker/grill I’ve used.

Oh theyre beginners in the smoking game for sure. But i feel like, while not being 100% foolproof its a simple way to get some nice meats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

68, Zack Johnson, 6’6 guard and team Sasquatch gets the call up over Braden for this one. I could see him getting a few snaps as an extra lineman on some short yardage situations.

Don’t know if he’s any good but it’s always a plus to have a Wookiee getting of of the bus. 

I liked his highlight reel as much as I liked any OL highlight reel, for what ever that is worth.