What to do at qb next year?

Vladimir L

I'm still with trading for Stafford.

I'm having a hard time believing we need a young rookie QB with the dline playing like this.

We could and should be trying to have a veteran QB on deck that doesn't get in the defense way and spend first rounders on weapons, not QBs.

We need a Brad Johnson 2002 Bucs QB or barely alive Manning when Broncos last won it. Ok, reaching, but you get my point.

Our window is 2-3 years then we have to pay this defense.

I want nothing to do with Stafford. I know there is a guy this team can find to groom. You don’t have to force a selection but the draft will fall and there will be a QB to add to the QB room but I think we will be seeing more Haskins I think the Smith thing is being downplayed so we can maybe get extra reps for Haskins and maybe set in a gameplan. There’s more then likely someone else avalible which comes with less injury concerns and without his contract. Personally I think a QB falls in our laps in the top 2.

• Like 2

Stafford couldn’t win back when the Lions had a good team. Stafford is a stat-padding loser and always has been. Smith and Lance are what I see happening next season or potentially Trask or Jones. They have to get a young QB if they’re moving on from Haskins. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Trey Lance was the #2 or #3 but he is falling would rather use the #1 pick for a guy who can come in right away.

for Lance though I might be down. 

We aren’t picking a guy who can come in right away. Alex Smith is going to be the starter next year unless he retires. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Stafford couldn’t win back when the Lions had a good team. Stafford is a stat-padding loser and always has been. Smith and Lance are what I see happening next season or potentially Trask or Jones. They have to get a young QB if they’re moving on from Haskins. 

Kyle Allen is only 24.

You let Alex Smith go.

You see if you can trade Haskins, but you won't get crap for him so he stays at least until trade deadline.

You scour the free agent market.  Stay away from Newton reunion, otherwise turn every leaf.  There are some interesting situations out there and there might be a good option.  What will happen in New Orleans?  What will happen in Philly?  What about Dallas?  

If you want to draft a second tier guy in the draft I think you have to trade down if possible 5-10 spots and take him there and end up with an extra second.  You absolutely do not trade up for one of these project qbs.

Free Agent/Allen/Haskins

Free Agent/Draft/Haskins/Allen(IR)

Allen/Draft/Haskins

In terms of the Stafford talk, he gets hurt too often for my taste.  I think he is good, but he isn't elite.  He will cost too much for that.  We need great if we spend that kind of money.  This was essentially the problem with the Alex Smith trade.  You don't spend that much on good.  

If Alex Smith is healthy, bring him back. 

Multiple things I think need to happen. 

1. Have to see what Charles is going to bring to LT after his first year with the team. If he is not quite ready, I know for sure that I dont want to see Christian at the LT spot. But I think there are some talented LT's in the draft. 

2. It may seem that LG is still an issue. 

3. Trevor Lawrence would be out of reach based on the wins we seam to be accumulating. I am not impressed with Justin Fields, and I am not sure about the kid from BYU. 

4. Haskins is not going to recoup what we spent. He has been tainted and shown to be very inexperienced. Thanks Bruce. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mike23md said:

If Alex Smith is healthy, bring him back. 

Multiple things I think need to happen. 

1. Have to see what Charles is going to bring to LT after his first year with the team. If he is not quite ready, I know for sure that I dont want to see Christian at the LT spot. But I think there are some talented LT's in the draft. 

3. Trevor Lawrence would be out of reach based on the wins we seam to be accumulating. I am not impressed with Justin Fields, and I am not sure about the kid from BYU. 

4. Haskins is not going to recoup what we spent. He has been tainted and shown to be very inexperienced. Thanks Bruce. 

Dan forced his puppet to draft Haskins for his kid ! Hate Bruce but he was handcuffed there.

Charles is going to be our pro-bowl L G. QB, I want a mobile QB . League seems to be going that direction. Take a shot with Trey Lance if available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike23md said:

I think Charles ends up at LG.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Arms are too short  oh wait-thought you were saying L T.. I agree - LG !

So if Charles arms were an inch or two longer he’d be a LT candidate?

I’m not sure based just on that I can rule him out as being our future LT. I think he’ll be starting at one of the positions on the left side next year, but I’m not going to rule out LT just yet and won’t until it doesn’t happen.