1. 1. Player Of The Game?

• Aaron Rodgers
    • Aaron Jones
    • Davante Adams
    • Nick Perry
    • HaHa Clinton-Dix
    • Other?

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Just read an article quoting some of Bakh's locker room comments from yesterday. Sounds like a guy who, at the earliest, isnt playing until Week 9 after the bye. Just disappointing. Guy must have a helluva hamstring pull/tear.

Without him, not sure how we stop Griffen this week. Offense is going to be extremely limited.

His injury is the most puzzling I can remember. Finished out the game, got 3 consecutive limited practices in during ATL week, questionable with a game time decision for that game. To me that means it wasnt a serious injury. Now they've asked him numerous times if he had a setback on his road back, and he says no, but I think he's lying. I think he hurt it worse on the field in ATL trying to go in that one. It has been 5 weeks now, for an injury he was practicing 3 days after hurting, this cannot be all from doing the splits vs Seattle anymore.

19 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

His injury is the most puzzling I can remember. Finished out the game, got 3 consecutive limited practices in during ATL week, questionable with a game time decision for that game. To me that means it wasnt a serious injury. Now they've asked him numerous times if he had a setback on his road back, and he says no, but I think he's lying. I think he hurt it worse on the field in ATL trying to go in that one. It has been 5 weeks now, for an injury he was practicing 3 days after hurting, this cannot be all from doing the splits vs Seattle anymore.

Yea it would be one thing if after the injury, he missed practice for 3 straight weeks, but the literally practices every day, at least on a limited basis and has been for 5 weeks. That makes no sense.

28 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

All of this data is encapsulated in DVOA. MIN also gave up 7 more points than season avg to Pittsburgh and GB held Seattle to 10 fewer points than their season avg. You are cherry picking to fit your constant, silly agenda. 

Last year means absolutely nothing. It couldn't be less important.

Fact is, MIN and GB defenses are performing similarly so far this season. To think otherwise is to deny reality. 

How do you factor in the offensive performance and how it affects the defense?  It seems like a big factor, but virtually impossible to show with numbers.  Here are a few:

giveaway turnovers: Green Bay - 5 (tied for 8th fewest)                         Min -  4 (tied for 6th fewest)   

----Not really a difference here.

takeaways: Green Bay - 9 (tied for 6th most)                                            Min - 5 (20th) 

----Green Bay has a huge advantage here

time of possession/game:  Green Bay - 30:20 (12th)                             Min - 29:55 (16) 

----Basically the Viking defense is on the field an extra 25 seconds per game....maybe I'm wrong but that seems like it shouldn't matter.  Maybe an extra 3-4                                         plays/game?

average starting field position/drive on defense:  Green Bay - 27.04 (8th)           Min - 26.48 (6th) 

------not much difference here with a total of half a yard.

It seems like the offenses of each team are 'helping' their defenses equally, with Green Bay giving our offense a much bigger advantage with the turnovers.  

MN definitely needs to be more opportunistic on defense with takeaways. The opportunities have been there. MN had several badly dropped Ints against Detroit and Chicago. Detroit game might have had a different outcome had MN made those plays. Minimizing the pressure from the edge will be key for GB. MN has struggled to get push up the middle.

14 hours ago, strat1080 said:

That is the great myth of Peyton Manning. The Colts invested heavily into 1st round picks at RB, WR, and TE yet still fielded credible defenses. The Packers in the meantime have actually been worse than those Colts teams on the defensive side of the ball and haven't invested heavily in offensive skills position. We have a bunch of WRs and TEs that can't get open. I totally agree with Colin Cowherd that this team is basically just an average team. Aaron Rodgers makes guys like Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, and James Jones have more TD production than the Julio Jones, AJ Greens, and Beckham's of the league.

I don't even care about the first part, but this is terrible. You dont think Jordy is any good or would be any good on any other team, maybe just maybe if we had a TE that had success on another team, like Bennett it would be backed up by stats. This might be the worst take I have ever read.

While I don't like the post, it is hard to argue against the fact that Rodgers makes everything better.

That's why I really want him to get a weapon on offense that is a known talent.  Like one of those good WR's coming into free agency.  I like Watkins because he has the skills, should have some knowledge and is still young.  Just hitting his prime.  I'd like him over a draft pick that will take 2-3 years to develop.  

So Stefon Diggs isn't practicing today. Hasn't practiced all week. He said earlier in the week he "plans" to play but it's starting to look more likely that he won't be playing this weekend. Would be a huge boost for GB since they're also looking at not having King and Burnett

Just now, deltarich87 said:

So Stefon Diggs isn't practicing today. Hasn't practiced all week. He said earlier in the week he "plans" to play but it's starting to look more likely that he won't be playing this weekend. Would be a huge boost for GB since they're also looking at not having King and Burnett

It would be nice to even the two out.

34 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

While I don't like the post, it is hard to argue against the fact that Rodgers makes everything better.

That's why I really want him to get a weapon on offense that is a known talent.  Like one of those good WR's coming into free agency.  I like Watkins because he has the skills, should have some knowledge and is still young.  Just hitting his prime.  I'd like him over a draft pick that will take 2-3 years to develop.  

"Known talent"... how are jordy or davante not known talents? The problem with Green Bay's offense is that it has a lot of talent and all that talent can go off any given game because of how amazing the trigger man is.

The reason Jones, Beckman, Green are "amazing" is because they are their teams' passing offenses. All have average to above average QB (yes even Ryan, without jones and Kyle drawing up plays he is above average) and those QBs feed them touches.

These guys would see minimal gains in Green Bay because the ball is spread around. Heck all of Bennett's red zone TDs everyone was hoping for are going to Jordy and Davante (I'm assuming because defenses are scheming to take Bennett away). Which would happen to Jones... Rodgers would go to an uncover Richard Rodgers before forcing into double coverage Jones.

The Packers have often leaned on the concept of having a very deep and talented WR crew over a single stud like Julio Jones. This makes sense since GB will rarely if ever be drafting high enough to get a player like him. It also fits with MMs philosophy of attacking match ups. Our 3rd WR is better than your 3rd CB.

And as noted by Green19, each week a different guy goes off. That's a good way to balance an offense and to challenge a defense. While many here lament Cobb's production/paycheck ratio, he's been incredibly effective in some games - like the playoff vs the Giants. SB caliber teams don't have one guy who kills ya- they have a plethora of ways to attack and if you put too many resources in defending one player, Rodgers will make you pay in another.

The idea behind GB's offense is Rodgers is the star player. Those WRs are the star players on their offense. They need to be because their QBs can't elevate others... so they need to beat double teams, etc.

With Rodgers... or Brady or Peyton etc, an offense can have the "lesser talented WRs" because the star QB is going to help them reach their ceiling. So where Allison may only be a marginal WR with Eli, Andy, and even Ryan... he'd be an amazing 3rd/4th with Rodgers. Jordy might be a great WR on another team... he is borderline Hall of Fame with Rodgers. It's why I think jordy and Cobb took lesser deals to stick in GB... it's probably why Adams will too.

New England has been doing this for years with Brady. And if you notice GB does the same thing as NE... they invest in the defense and bank on their QB to make due with "lesser talent".

6 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Well if Diggs is out I really don't think there should be an issue defensively. House should be fine vs Theiland (sp?)

Thielen btw no D. I see Vikings fans do it. He's their Devente Edems.

Archived