Missed Connections: WRs, what are they and how can we get some? {The Shrine of Jefferson}

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Please ignore all my Reagor over Jefferson takes. 

Much appreciated 

You're not happy that we drafted a kick returner and a worse slot receiver in Reagor? That's amazing, considering 90% of this board wanted nothing do with Jefferson and pounded their chests that he was AT BEST a decent slot receiver. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Scalamania said:

You're not happy that we drafted a kick returner and a worse slot receiver in Reagor? That's amazing, considering 90% of this board wanted nothing do with Jefferson and pounded their chests that he was AT BEST a decent slot receiver. 

Will forever be shocked at this boards evaluation of Jefferson in pre-draft process... I'm fine if the majority of this board believed in this flat out wrong judgment but unfortunately our DANG GM DID.

• Like 1

The year is 2047, there are only two corporations left after the Great Merger Wars of the 30s.
With resources growing thin, a select class of people were ascended to their rightful place at the top of the species.
For their brains, and foresight would help lead this world back.

This new ruling class was not based on religion or race, but on a select few individuals who vocally liked Justin Jefferson slightly more then the "eh he's fine" of the rest of a small internet subforum. This damning indifference rang loudly as a damnation of Jefferson, and led these individuals to be branded then led through the streets every draft week til the end of their miserable days so we may yet again observe their sheer stupidity and learn from it.

• Like 1

So now Justin Jefferson is the best receiver in this draft class based on on about 3/4ths of a rookie season?

Some of you are so reactionary. 

Jefferson’s advantage over Reagor was his polish coming out. The only other receiver you could say is more polished is Jeudy. LSU knows how to coach receivers.

Reagor hasn’t looked quite as fast so far this year as he did in college. Don’t know if he added weight or time off with an injury is partly to blame, but it think he’s getting back to it. Even still he’s shown he can burn guys deep. He’s a more versatile weapon that you can get creative with than Jefferson. He’s an elite returner. Give him some time to sharpen his routes/releases. Davante Adams wasn’t this elite receiver when he came in to the league. He greatly improved with his releases and route running and is now easily top 3. Also we don’t do a good job getting our receivers YAC whether it be bad screen set ups, bad route combinations, or a QB who can’t put it where the receiver can catch it. Watch Reagor get those opportunities and thrive. Don’t know if it will happen with Pederson as HC though.

Anyways... if Jefferson is easily the better receiver in year 3 and 4 then okay, but the best receiver in a draft class doesn’t always have the best year and Reagor has missed time in camp and a good chunk of the season with injury. Plus, it was a shortened camp and he needed that time to learn more than Jefferson did. Give it time y’all. 

• Like 1

And, I don’t know about most people on here, but I had Jefferson just behind Reagor and Ruggs. Thought Jalen lacked the polish, but liked his ceiling more and thought his deep threat and return ability fit what we needed more. I did think Jefferson was more of a slot and still do think that’s his best spot, but early returns on him are even better than I thought they would be, but I knew he would have a top 2 or 3 season if he landed in a good spot.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
12 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

So now Justin Jefferson is the best receiver in this draft class based on on about 3/4ths of a rookie season?

Some of you are so reactionary. 

Jefferson’s advantage over Reagor was his polish coming out. The only other receiver you could say is more polished is Jeudy. LSU knows how to coach receivers.

Reagor hasn’t looked quite as fast so far this year as he did in college. Don’t know if he added weight or time off with an injury is partly to blame, but it think he’s getting back to it. Even still he’s shown he can burn guys deep. He’s a more versatile weapon that you can get creative with than Jefferson. He’s an elite returner. Give him some time to sharpen his routes/releases. Davante Adams wasn’t this elite receiver when he came in to the league. He greatly improved with his releases and route running and is now easily top 3. Also we don’t do a good job getting our receivers YAC whether it be bad screen set ups, bad route combinations, or a QB who can’t put it where the receiver can catch it. Watch Reagor get those opportunities and thrive. Don’t know if it will happen with Pederson as HC though.

Anyways... if Jefferson is easily the better receiver in year 3 and 4 then okay, but the best receiver in a draft class doesn’t always have the best year and Reagor has missed time in camp and a good chunk of the season with injury. Plus, it was a shortened camp and he needed that time to learn more than Jefferson did. Give it time y’all. 

I don't disagree with most of the stuff in here but Reagor's #1 trait was his speed and separation, he's shown none of that so far. Maybe it's the lack of TC, maybe it's the injury, maybe it's the system or maybe his speed and separation aren't as good as everyone thought. 

The big outlier to me when talking about Reagor is seeing what Aiyuk is doing in SF. He's missed time, he's got a garbage QB throwing him the ball and he's still producing. He looks fast, he gets separation - he looks like the WR we expected when we drafted Reagor. 

I actually feel bad for Reagor - I believe that he wants to prove everyone wrong but assuming Jefferson continues to shine he and the organization are always going to have to answer the Jefferson question. 

Edited by Scalamania
27 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

I don't disagree with most of the stuff in here but Reagor's #1 trait was his speed and separation, he's shown none of that so far. Maybe it's the lack of TC, maybe it's the injury, maybe it's the system or maybe his speed and separation aren't as good as everyone thought. 

The big outlier to me when to Reagor is seeing what Aiyuk is doing in SF. He's missed time, he's got a garbage QB throwing him the ball and he's still producing. He looks fast, he gets separation - he looks like the WR we expected when we drafted Reagor. 

I actually feel bad for Reagor - I believe that he wants to prove everyone wrong but assuming Jefferson continues to shine he and the organization are always going to have to answer the Jefferson question. 

I think Reagor would look far better in comparison if the scheme and how he used made any sense. Like he’d at the very least have some padded stats if they scheme him plays like they do Ward. They use him like Hopkins gets used in Arizona because he’s not all that fast.

You got a guy who can outrun mostly everyone, make guys miss in space...why aren’t they doing those quick bubbles they give Ward to Jalen? Surely he could do something with that.

I seriously have zero hope for this staff, but if they are now turning to Hurts. Let’s get some options, let’s get some RPO. Reagor is quick enough and strong enough to be that pass read over the middle. Bonus: get to see our franchise back used like one for once.

I think Reagor can still be good, but JJ is on pace for 1,385 yards and 9 TDs, and it's not like he's doing it as the plug and play in a killer offense or for a HOF QB. That would be more production than Diggs ever gave them, and no player since the merger has had that many yards as a rookie. The only ones over 1,300 are Boldin, Moss and OBJ. You can pretty safely say this kid is going to be a very good WR for a long time. Hopefully Reagor is as well once he gets more practice and a better offense, but it's TBD, while for JJ it's really not. He is very good, and I bet he will remain very good. WR learning curve is pretty quick, there are exceptions (Davante Adams, Parker) but a large majority of good WRs drafted high produce right out of the gate in this league.

The good news is despite awful circumstances, and 7 games, Reagor has already outproduced Agholor and JJAW so I definitely don't think we're looking at a bust of that magnitude. Gotta take the Ws where we can get them.

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I think Reagor can still be good, but JJ is on pace for 1,385 yards and 9 TDs, and it's not like he's doing it as the plug and play in a killer offense or for a HOF QB. That would be more production than Diggs ever gave them, and no player since the merger has had that many yards as a rookie. The only ones over 1,300 are Boldin, Moss and OBJ. You can pretty safely say this kid is going to be a very good WR for a long time. Hopefully Reagor is as well once he gets more practice and a better offense, but it's TBD, while for JJ it's really not. He is very good, and I bet he will remain very good. WR learning curve is pretty quick, there are exceptions (Davante Adams, Parker) but a large majority of good WRs drafted high produce right out of the gate in this league.

The good news is despite awful circumstances, and 7 games, Reagor has already outproduced Agholor and JJAW so I definitely don't think we're looking at a bust of that magnitude. Gotta take the Ws where we can get them.

Man, that is setting the bar so low lol. Just sad. I will be more interested in how he looks with Hurts. Maybe Hurts will bring some life to the offense but it is a tough first matchup.

42 minutes ago, EAGLES3658 said:

Man, that is setting the bar so low lol. Just sad. I will be more interested in how he looks with Hurts. Maybe Hurts will bring some life to the offense but it is a tough first matchup.

Even if Hurts is not the answer I think odds are very high the O improves. Carson was playing as bad as you can, and more importantly Hurts’ legs help take some pressure off the pass blocking and gives ARs more time to separate. Tough matchup this week and next vs good Cards pass D, but I think we see the offense move a bit more even if Hurts is not so good. If he is good? Who knows, hopefully we don’t actually win but I’d love seeing some 30 burgers.