2018 NFL Draft Prospects - picks and draft board pg 1

WizardHawk

On 9/17/2017 at 9:35 PM, Calvert28 said:

Im actually hoping this game has convinced the FO to see if they can pick up Kenny Vaccaro from NO for like a 4th or something.

Depending on price, I'm all for it. It appears Frazier isn't going to be the answer. Only 10 snaps last week (28 on season) in a shorthanded secondary. Heath has played ever snap this season, that's not a good thing. 

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

Depending on price, I'm all for it. It appears Frazier isn't going to be the answer. Only 10 snaps last week (28 on season) in a shorthanded secondary. Heath has played ever snap this season, that's not a good thing. 

Yea I wouldn't pay anything more then a 3rd for him. And that's if everything checks out. 

On 9/17/2017 at 7:35 PM, Calvert28 said:

Im actually hoping this game has convinced the FO to see if they can pick up Kenny Vaccaro from NO for like a 4th or something.

He's certainly on the trading block. As mad as the Saints are with him (which makes ZERO sense, by the way), I'd be willing to bet that they'd let him go for less than that just to prove a point.

4 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

He's certainly on the trading block. As mad as the Saints are with him (which makes ZERO sense, by the way), I'd be willing to bet that they'd let him go for less than that just to prove a point.

Better for us. If we are able to get him. He's not a complete liability in coverage. Also has some play making ability. But he is a true box safety that would go a long way in helping us patch up our defense. Especially if Carroll and Cheeto get hurt again. It could afford Jones to be moved to the outside. Which would at least not leave us with a huge, huge hole.

3 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

FWIW, Vaccaro was #12 on the Dallas BB in 2013. 

I just don't see us giving up a draft selection for him. Just hasn't really been the M.O. of the front office the last several years. 

27 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

I just don't see us giving up a draft selection for him. Just hasn't really been the M.O. of the front office the last several years. 

With the extra picks next, if the FO were to break mold, I would think this would be a pretty good time to see it. Ultimately though, I agree that the chances are slim. Beyond their usual way of doing things, Vaccaro's injury history and pending FA come into play. 

I have spent a large portion of my day off today doing  two things -

Waiting for the Destiny 2 servers to come back online

and watching Sam Darnold tape

I dont see what so many see on Darnold. I see a kid with a lot of mental and physical toughness (which is a huge factor on NFL success imo, and in the opinion of Steve Young whos 3 qualities to look for are Physically tough, mentally tough, and the ability to trust them). But I do not see too much else.

He has a decent touch on his throw, decent placement and accuracy. Fairly good mechanics that wont need much fine tuning either.

Can definitely make hard throws - deep outs, posts between the safeties, curls against man coverage, etc.

But where is the stand out qualities that you want in a top QB pick?

Footwork leaves him in prime position to drive the ball into tight holes, but he misses often. His placement is well above average, yet he doesnt often lead his target with much success. A lot of his deep throws are won solely on his receivers abilities and not so much on his ability to place a deep throw where his man can win it uncontested.

When running double cross pass concepts, he frequently struggles to make a quick and decisive throw. He holds the ball and looks like he doubts himself for a moment. He makes this same hesitation on hi lo reads and in out options. Sure, you can train this out of him, but this isnt something you see of top QB selections who succeed early.

He does not trust his pocket either. He stands tall and delivers, but rushes his throw when the pocket grows sloppy. In the NFL this often translates into turnovers - ask Luck and Bortles who both struggled with this in college and again in the NFL. In college it was not costly because corners are slower are talent levels are lower, but in the NFL it is turnover city.

He can really arch his throw to the second level, but takes too much off on those throws. In the NFL where many linebackers can run and jump like college safeties, this isnt going to end well.

There are qualities in Darnold you want to see in a QB. Absolutelty. But I do not see a guy worth tanking for. Too many hurdles to overcome and things to drill him out of for me to be sold on him as the next big thing pocket passer. I see more Sam Bradford here than Peyton Manning. Bradford has had a decent little career for himself and is no slouch, but Im betting if the Rams could have a do over they would not have selected him first overall.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:19 AM, Calvert28 said:

Better for us. If we are able to get him. He's not a complete liability in coverage. Also has some play making ability. But he is a true box safety that would go a long way in helping us patch up our defense. Especially if Carroll and Cheeto get hurt again. It could afford Jones to be moved to the outside. Which would at least not leave us with a huge, huge hole.

Well it seems like Vaccaro had a big into yesterday, which may have pushed up his trade stock a bit perhaps.

4 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Well it seems like Vaccaro had a big into yesterday, which may have pushed up his trade stock a bit perhaps.

Vaccaro is not much different from Barry Church, and we let him walk. You think we would trade for a player with slightly better cover skills who provides the same role?

Archived