2018 NFL Draft Prospects - picks and draft board pg 1

WizardHawk

Re: DLaw

I understand he is breaking out an all, but I feel more comfortable knowing it isn't completely out of no where.  After missing most of the year he flashed a lot of potential in the playoffs against the Lions his rookie year I believe.  

The next year he was slow to start but then had the streak of like 8 sacks in 7 games straight.

He was hurt with a bad back most of last year.

And now seemingly healthy he has burst on to the scene with a league setting pace, and has been known to get better towards the end of the year. 

Sure it will suck to sign DLaw big and him struggle with injuries again.  Hopefully we could structure a deal like Sean Lee's which would give us some protection.

It would suck the most to see DLaw walk and become a War Daddy for another team after hearing Jerry Jones jabbering for one all off season. When after his rookie, 2nd year, what we have seen in practice, and the way he is literally winning games for us now.. We have had PLENTY of proof that he can be worth a big contract.

Obviously it isn't without risk, we'll have to watch how the rest of the season unfolds, but it's his health not talent that is most worrisome. When healthy, going back to his rookie year, he's had superb ability.

Right now I think the biggest risk is him being a Redskin next year. After that is his health. 

I would not want to see him walk out and play well someplace else, either. 

I only fear that a restricting contract would make us divert resources from elsewhere - Martin? Byron? Cut Dez or Tyron? Dak holding out next year cause we cant pony up for him? 

Byron, maybe not a huge loss.

Maybe you could rework Tyron instead of cut him. Dez, too.

But somewhere in that 12 to 16 a yr he will get, you will have to rob peter to pay paul. And this has stung us before, especially when paying out for what you believe is in his future. Like with Austin, Barber, Ratliff, Davis, paying up for steady improvement until a breakout contract year gets costly and hurts the cap situation, and makes it hard to retain the core group.

It will be a huge decision. Franchise tag may work better to see what the future may hold. Or even a transitions tag to see if we can net a pick or match the offer. But to just make it a clear cut new fat contract is as big a worry to me as letting him sign someplace else.

I love the approach to FA that Dallas has had the last half decade. I believe in building through the draft. I also believe that part of building through the draft is retaining the draft picks that you hit on.  DLaw falls under this for me.  As long as he stays healthy this year that is.  Signing your top picks who have done well, like DLaw, IS building through the draft. 

Secondly, I would choose, if I was forced to,(I think the Cowboys are set to afford both so this is a non issue IMO) DLaw over Byron Jones every day of the week.  

I am not as big of a hater as a lot of people are in here but.... DLaw is a DL. Jones is a DB. Meaning Jones is part of the "Secondary" defense. Meaning he only comes into play IF the QB doesn't get sacked and IF the ball comes his way when it is thrown. Or on run plays IF the runner gets by our line AND our LBs then he comes in play. Almost like he's only, oh what's a good word, ...  A safety. A good opposite for the word "secondary" is the word "primary."

If given the choice I would always choose a good player on my primary defense(DLaw) over a good player in my secondary(Jones).  Think about it.  How good was Jones last night when Palmer was being engulfed?  And how good was that secondary when he had time?

I agree, although its the prototype chicken or egg question.

In a 3 man rush, was Lawrence getting home because the coverage was good? Or was the coverage good because Lawrence was getting home? It requires both to be a good D imo. I dont care if you have Ware and Taylor on the edges, if you cant cover my receivers Ill take quick hitches and slants all day long to beat the rush. But if you cant rush me, i dont care how good your coverage is, no one can cover for that long - someone will break open.

Like I said, Byron, maybe not too big of a loss. Nor Hitch, if Smith can step his game up.

My bigger concern is how we can afford to retain all the other homegrown players if we are forking over 1/3rd of the cap space left to a single player. As it is, Martin wasnt happy with our offers. Lee should be coming up soon if im not mistaken? Dak is.going to want to be paid before his contract is due, given he is playing how he is. Zeke, we have that fifth year that buys time. But if Lawrences contract is loaded up at rhe back, as likely so, and Byron gets paid, Dak gets paid, Martin too, at some point we are going to be really hard pressed to retain someone like Zeke or hell even Collins if he keeps playing like this. 

Its a hard balance. Im no cap guru, I just know that, as I kept teling my russian princess mentality money grubbing ex wife, all wells run dry if you drink from them enough.

1 hour ago, romo2bryant said:

I think he is, but I also thought Gurley was also so...

I may be.biased. But I think Zeke has the edge against both Barkley and Gurley. 

Gurley has a lot more burst and explosion.

Barkley has the most outstanding balance ive seen in  while.

Fournette has more leg push and power.

But Zeke has the best blend of all attributes. All of those mentioned have a blend of those. But Zekes blend is just at a much more all around high level.

Coupled with having the best vision of any runner to come out since LT, and having a well rounded set of both blocking and receiving skills, he has been the best overall RB prospect. 

11 hours ago, DaBoys said:

So is Saquan Barkley better than Zeke?  He can do the hurdle, get hit in the air, stay on his feet and keep running thing too.

Like I said in College thread...I'd take Barkley over Zeke everyday, twice on Sunday. Taking nothing away from Zeke, who is outstanding. Barkley separates himself with speed (have heard 4.35ish) , balance, shiftiness, and in passing game. As far as other attributes, Barkley is on par or close to any back in the game. 

Archived