Official 2021 Off Ball Linebacker Thread

MOSteelers56

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Get him and JOK on a team with a DC who gets creative and watch both feast.

Exactly. They're both really good prospects. I really want Zaven on the Steelers. JOK's good too, just not exactly what we need. He would be a really fun player, though.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 12:15 PM, LinebackerGod said:

I would honestly be shocked if JOK didn’t go before him. JOK is also a world-class athlete, has elite tape and instincts in space, and is a ridiculously clean prospect from a character standpoint.

I know people think I’m nuts, but I like very rigid fits in a defense. JOK can do a bunch of things, but he really only does them from the STAR linebacker position. I’m good with that. Play him on the strong side and don’t ever bring him off the field. He’s your nickelback/SAM linebacker and it keeps you from having to constantly morph into your sub package.

Parsons is also at his best playing outside the box in space, but he had more size to eventually grow into someone that can play all over a defense. If you love upside, take Parsons. If you love a dude that is fundamentally close to perfect, take JOK.

I would bet JOK goes first at this rate. 

linebacker....god? 

God?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 10:32 AM, QBIso said:

Despite his lack of athleticism, Werner is at his best in space. He's excellent at setting the edge in the run game and using his smarts and length to disrupt passing concepts in zone drops. I think he's ideally fit to play in space for a team that stays in zone primarily. He can't cover in man, but boy can the dude disrupt concepts in zone.

I don't think Werner is going to test well at all. Will it be undraftable numbers? No, but I think the combine won't do him any favors. I hope I'm wrong because I love his game, but I have a feeling his numbers are going to look like 4.8ish in the 40 and then even worse in the 3-cone.

Boy this post did not age well. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 1:15 PM, BRANDON26841X said:

FWIW, players and coaches have raved about Werner's athleticism for years. It's basically the one thing they always bring up with him; he's one of the fastest linebackers on the team. There is a reason they had him playing the LB / nickel / safety spot at SAM last season over a guy like Baron Browning; he was and still is their best coverage LB. 

With the amount of hype they've given his speed (he played some deep safety at times last season) I wouldn't be shocked at a 4.58 type 40, but I think it's a safe bet he runs at least in the 4.6's. Athleticism and speed and the subsequent versatility he has is the best part about Werner's game

I could be wrong but I recently read in his entire career Werner never gave up more than 15 total yards receiving in a single game. And that in the championship they put him covering davante smith in the slot