Official 2021 Off Ball Linebacker Thread

MOSteelers56

• 2 weeks later...

I like Emmett Rice a lot more then I thought I would,  after virtually not knowing anything about him before today.

Diagnosis well,  solid tackler,  and pretty athletic.   His transitions and footwork are pretty awkward though,  kind of takes away some from his pure movement skills 

On 12/23/2020 at 1:50 PM, onejayhawk said:

Who are the better day #3 prospects? Unless a player is Luke Keukely, most teams want to wait a couple of rounds for non-EDGE LB. 

J

Paddy Fisher. Jack Sanborn if he declares. Garrett Wallow. Jahad Woods if he doesn’t go sooner. Ventrell Miller (upside). 

I think I love Zaven Collins, even if he's viewed more as an edge. I'll take him at any 4-3 LB position as long as our DC can avoid putting him in man coverage, and he might actually be ok at that once coached up. His zone drops are way smoother than Paddy's.

Edited by Jeezla

14 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I think I love Zaven Collins, even if he's viewed more as an edge. I'll take him at any 4-3 LB position as long as our DC can avoid putting him in man coverage, and he might actually be ok at that once coached up. His zone drops are way smoother than Paddy's.

I want him as a 3-4 ILB. If you put him next to a guy that can cover in man to let him play as a giant rover, you've got yourself a super star. I want him really badly to be a Steeler. 

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I want him as a 3-4 ILB. If you put him next to a guy that can cover in man to let him play as a giant rover, you've got yourself a super star. I want him really badly to be a Steeler. 

If the Steelers took him, it would probably be as a Bud Dupree replacement. Cam McGrone seems like more of a typical Steelers ILB.

Edited by Jeezla

Just now, Jeezla said:

If the Steelers took him, it would probably be as a Bud Dupree replacement

I think he'll take his role as hyper athletic, hard hitter, but I think his fit is at ILB as opposed to EDGE. I don't think Collins is best suited to rush the passer as much as Bud did for us. Plus our rookie fill in for Bud, Alex Highsmith, is already showing serious pass rushing chops. 

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think he'll take his role as hyper athletic, hard hitter, but I think his fit is at ILB as opposed to EDGE. I don't think Collins is best suited to rush the passer as much as Bud did for us. Plus our rookie fill in for Bud, Alex Highsmith, is already showing serious pass rushing chops. 

I liked Highsmith a lot. Thought he looked like a poor mans Josh Allen, in a good way.

Check out Cameron McGrone if you haven't watched him. I think I like him more than Dylan Moses.

Edited by Jeezla

38 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Yeah, I kinda see him as this super utility LBer.  Kinda like Anthony Barr, although less abilities in man coverage.  But that kind of player you're going to move around the defense.

• Like 1

This looks like an exceptional LB class to me with 4 potential stars: 

JOK

Collins

Parsons

Browning

All 4 have pretty unique skill sets as well, with Collins and Parsons bringing great athleticism + size and JOK and Browning offering phenomenal coverage.  Really excited about this group

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

- Pete Werner at some point in his career will be an All-Pro

- Justin Hilliard will be a starter this time next year

I was keying on the OSU LBs during the Clemson game, in hopes of catching some good film on Browning.  Browing didn't do a dang thing, but Werner kept popping off the screen to me.