Official 2021 Off Ball Linebacker Thread

MOSteelers56

On 1/4/2021 at 1:24 PM, Jeezla said:

I'd take Baron Browning over Bolton

I agree, Browning has some big time upside and can play inside or outside.  Athletically he is better than Bolton is.

Bolton is good but Monty Rice is more athletic.  Sure Bolton has not had the injury issues Monty has but if people love the athletic ability of Bolton, Rice I believe is a faster linebacker and quicker.  KJ Britt also is more athletic than Bolton also but not sure he is coming out early or not.  Collin Miller before his awful injury was doing some great things on Nebraska, too bad he got hurt he was really playing well.  

There always seems to be a super productive ILB for Missouri, Cale Garrett and Michael Scherer were two who had great production for multiple seasons on Missouri and neither one has done much at the next level.  Terez Hall has flashed at times in the NFL and I like his power and tackling more than Bolton honestly.  But many teams want that fast athletic linebacker, will see at the combine just how athletic Bolton is, he is compact and built well but not sure he is a super high level athlete or not.  

In terms of a run and hit linebacker Ernest Jones has some promise and is very quick to the ball and Erroll Thompson can lay people out, is bigger but in the right system could be very productive especially at ILB in a 3/4.  

22 hours ago, Jeezla said:

How big is the gap between Parsons and Zaven? Athletically and as do it all LB's?

Parsons is a front 7 guy at his best near the los. He's hard to block with his lateral quickness and physicality in traffic. He's also got great pursuit speed. Athletically able to get it done in coverage but I'm not sure he has much experience there.

Collins is sudden and fast in space where he can run and track freely. Despite his size though he's not that great in traffic, not especially physical and isn't generally winning those physical confrontations. Big time downhill guy when he does read it but he's guessing a lot and doesn't break down in space all that great atm.

For me, both 1st rounders. Parson's top 15, Collins late first.

• Like 3

On 1/4/2021 at 12:37 PM, MSURacerDT55 said:

- Pete Werner at some point in his career will be an All-Pro

- Justin Hilliard will be a starter this time next year

I really like Werner. I think he'd fill well in our scheme. I liked his film better than Moses's, Bolton's, and McGrone's. (McGrone is seriously athletic, though.) For people looking for undersized and very athletic Wills, I recommend you check out Grant Stuard from Houston and Tony Fields from WVU.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 2:24 PM, Jeezla said:

How big is the gap between Parsons and Zaven? Athletically and as do it all LB's?

Micah Parsons is your more traditional off-ball LBer, where as Zaven Collins is more a swiss knife.  I kinda view Collins as what people thought Anthony Barr was coming out of UCLA.  Don't think he's quite as fluid as Barr, but in terms of role/utility I think they're cut from similar cloth.

17 hours ago, Jeezla said:

My current top 10 

1 Micah Parsons
2 Cam McGrone
3 Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
4 Zaven Collins
5 Dylan Moses/Baron Browning
7 Jabril Cox
8 Nick Bolton
9 Pete Werner
10 Jahad Woods

Stacked class. I don’t know much about Woods.

How do you think McGrone stacks up against Devin Bush as a prospect?

13 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

McGrone is **** compared to Devin Bush, not even close to the same level as a prospect in my opinion.  Good player but he is no Devin Bush, only issue with Bush is that he gets hurt but when he is out there he is athletically superior to McGrone who also has some injury issues from time to time.  

53 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Bush had much better instincts/knowledge of what opposing offenses wanted to do, but I think McGrone is naturally better at getting off blocks and sifting through traffic. I don't think McGrone will run 4.4's, but he looks like a 4.55-4.59 guy. I'm not really sure how McGrone's pass coverage compares to Bush, because there just isn't enough McGrone tape. I think McGrones ceiling might be higher than Bush, but his floor is also much lower.

Edited by Jeezla