Official 2021 Off Ball Linebacker Thread

MOSteelers56

On 2/28/2021 at 10:38 PM, jrry32 said:

I think so. I am very high on JOK, but he has some limitations on positional and scheme fits.

I would honestly be shocked if JOK didn’t go before him. JOK is also a world-class athlete, has elite tape and instincts in space, and is a ridiculously clean prospect from a character standpoint.

I know people think I’m nuts, but I like very rigid fits in a defense. JOK can do a bunch of things, but he really only does them from the STAR linebacker position. I’m good with that. Play him on the strong side and don’t ever bring him off the field. He’s your nickelback/SAM linebacker and it keeps you from having to constantly morph into your sub package.

Parsons is also at his best playing outside the box in space, but he had more size to eventually grow into someone that can play all over a defense. If you love upside, take Parsons. If you love a dude that is fundamentally close to perfect, take JOK.

I would bet JOK goes first at this rate. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Looks like Parsons essentially admitted to some of the stuff teams may have concerns about. Using being young as an excuse for his actions. He could just be referencing the Ohio State incident.

“Obviously, people had some concerns about things that had happened,” Parsons said.

“But at the end of the day, I was a kid. I was 17-18. We all made mistakes when we were 17-18. I’m not going to let it control or dictate the person I am now. I’m not going to let something that happened four years ago dictate who I’m becoming and the father I want to be.”

Sounds great. And I don’t really care that much about his off-field allegations compared to the other scumbags in the NFL.

That said, you have to be Jachai Polite/Derrius Guice levels of stupid to not have a great rehearsed response for questions you know are coming. 

• Like 1

Werner reminds me of a bigger/longer Cole Holcomb. Holcomb was an underrated athlete coming out of UNC and has been good for WFT. 
Ran a 4.51 at his pro day along with these numbers. 

Broad Jump:  132 inches

20 Yd Shuttle: 4.14 seconds 
Three Cone:  6.77 seconds

Nick Niemann: solid 4th or 5th Rd sleeper option? 

Led the Hawkeyes in tackles and probably the most productive P5 lber tha doesn't get talked up.

6'3, 234lb, 1.48 10 yard split is crazy along with a 6.67 3 cone.  Elite short area quickness guy. Maybe needs to add some strength but has a chance at a 3 down role.

Derrick Barnes of Purdue seems to be a player flying completely under the radar here. He played inside and out over his career there and played at a fairly high level at both. Very physical in the run game, shows the ability to drop in zone coverage and was a very good blitzer when asked. Going to be a good pick for somebody in the middle rounds. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 12:58 AM, lark25 said:

Nick Niemann: solid 4th or 5th Rd sleeper option? 

Led the Hawkeyes in tackles and probably the most productive P5 lber tha doesn't get talked up.

6'3, 234lb, 1.48 10 yard split is crazy along with a 6.67 3 cone.  Elite short area quickness guy. Maybe needs to add some strength but has a chance at a 3 down role.

I saw this image and thought...WHOAH...he got a big booty...

Nick-Niemann-e1617210116783-1024x682.jpg

Then saw the other helmet. Hehe.

He's going to be a classic jack of all trades, master of none type I say. He has good athleticism, good field awareness, good coast-to-coast coverage etc, but he's not going to be good enough to start 3 downs. He may be a situational 3rd down LB. It's really good he can play in and out. It's good that he scores well athletically. But he's not that physical, so I do expect him to be limited.

UNDERRATED though, for sure. I'm with you. I'd pick him in mid or late rounds.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Man the range of opinions on this dude is something

From an athletic perspective, absolutely. From a consistency and instincts perspective...LOL.

I've seen every snap of his career.