Week 6: Packers (4-1) at VIKINGS (3-2)

swede700

11 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Maybe we're just spoiled then by having 2 unquestionably great defensive backs on our team and I've just set the same standards for the other 2. I realize other teams have it a lot worse.

that's a ridiculous and non attainable expectation, by definition.

you can't have everyone being elite.

It's going to be the best Offense we faced until now this year.

And the best DL. Mike Daniels is a beats and we probably need to double team him most of the game.

Game plan against the Packers D will be crucial here. Get the ball out of Keenums hands quickyl. I'd use quite some bootlegs, move those LB's away from the trenches. They're not that good in space. Attack the secondary. And get your damn TE involved. GB can be killed with TE play over the middle. Engage/release, pass. 5-10 yards every play.

This game is going to show me what Shurmur is capable of. Had a great gameplan agasint (depleted) TB defense, was meh against Steelers and Lions. Will have to bring the best he's got against the Packers.

This is a make or break game. We win, we are in the mix. We loose, we are 1-2 in the division with 2 played at home, 3-3 overall with 4 at home and a back-packed schedule later in the season.

7 hours ago, swiss_vike said:

And the best DL. Mike Daniels is a beats and we probably need to double team him most of the game.

Game plan against the Packers D will be crucial here. Get the ball out of Keenums hands quickyl. I'd use quite some bootlegs, move those LB's away from the trenches. They're not that good in space. Attack the secondary. And get your damn TE involved. GB can be killed with TE play over the middle. Engage/release, pass. 5-10 yards every play.

This game is going to show me what Shurmur is capable of. Had a great gameplan agasint (depleted) TB defense, was meh against Steelers and Lions. Will have to bring the best he's got against the Packers.

This is a make or break game. We win, we are in the mix. We loose, we are 1-2 in the division with 2 played at home, 3-3 overall with 4 at home and a back-packed schedule later in the season.

That's actually not really true anymore. In years past this defense was pretty slow in space and struggled with tight ends but this year both of those issues are seemingly remedied. We play a lot of 3 safety sets now so we cover TE fairly effectively and are faster on outside runs. It helps that although Clay Mathews has a reputation of not being a good run defender it hasn't been the case this year. Also Blake Martinez has quietly been having a really good year at ILB. Jason Witten did have a fairly effective day when we went zone and he sat in the soft zones but even then I don't remember him catching a pass in M2M coverage or any big gains. 

The secondary and especially the corners have really struggled. Davon House is average at best and Kevin King is a rookie who has shown flashes but also can be had. Randall can be ok at times but doesn't seem to ever turn his head to the ball. Rollins is just bad. If he is on the field covering Diggs and Thielen I would take advantage of that match up all day long. Kevin King is currently in concussion protocol and if he can't go it will be a huge loss to the Packers who will then have to settle for Rollins and UDFA to fill in as 3rd corner. Ha Ha has struggled this year for some reason as well. 

15 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

The secondary and especially the corners have really struggled. Davon House is average at best and Kevin King is a rookie who has shown flashes but also can be had. Randall can be ok at times but doesn't seem to ever turn his head to the ball. Rollins is just bad. If he is on the field covering Diggs and Thielen I would take advantage of that match up all day long. Kevin King is currently in concussion protocol and if he can't go it will be a huge loss to the Packers who will then have to settle for Rollins and UDFA to fill in as 3rd corner. Ha Ha has struggled this year for some reason as well. 

we'll need any advantage we can find. we're going to have to knock Rodgers around too, how has the GB protection of him been lately?

8 hours ago, swiss_vike said:

Green Bay has given up 20 receptions on 30 targets to the TEs for 0 TDs and 167 yards.  Last years Packers could be had by the TE.  This years Packers not so much.

There's a difference between a high standard and expectation of being an elite NFL player (like Rhodes and Smith).  Yes, it's acceptable to have a high standard, but I don't believe it's fair to expect Rhodes'-level performance in a Zimmer defense in a players' first full year starting, especially as a DB.  That's not a fair standard for comparison. 

In comparison to other DBs selected around where he was over the past several years, he's arguably light-years ahead of them or at least in the conversation:

2014 - Justin Gilbert (#8), Kyle Fuller (#14)

2013 - Dee Milliner (#9), DJ Hayden (#12)

2012 - Morris Claiborne (#6), Mark Barron (#7), Stephon Gilmore (#10)

The only one clearly ahead of him is the guy taken in 2011...Patrick Peterson.  

1 hour ago, disaacs said:

There's a difference between a high standard and expectation of being an elite NFL player (like Rhodes and Smith).  Yes, it's acceptable to have a high standard, but I don't believe it's fair to expect Rhodes'-level performance in a Zimmer defense in a players' first full year starting, especially as a DB.  That's not a fair standard for comparison. 

In comparison to other DBs selected around where he was over the past several years, he's arguably light-years ahead of them or at least in the conversation:

2014 - Justin Gilbert (#8), Kyle Fuller (#14)

2013 - Dee Milliner (#9), DJ Hayden (#12)

2012 - Morris Claiborne (#6), Mark Barron (#7), Stephon Gilmore (#10)

The only one clearly ahead of him is the guy taken in 2011...Patrick Peterson.  

Oh, I agree, but he said it was "non attainable".

I would have to agree that by definition not every player can be elite. You can certainly expect more out of a player based on draft status, but to expect every top 15 draft pick to become Rhodes or Smith level players just can't happen. If the number 11 pick becomes a middle of the pack #2 corner on a top 5 defense I don't think that's a bad thing. 

Waynes is a very good run defender, has made a few splash plays, and also has some lapses in coverage. I'll take it. I wouldn't be opposed to upgrading, but it certainly isn't high on the list of Vikings personnel priorities from my perspective.

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

we'll need any advantage we can find. we're going to have to knock Rodgers around too, how has the GB protection of him been lately?

Its been worse than in years past but that has mostly been an injury problem. Last week we got everyone but our LT back and this week the thought is Bakhtiari will be back as well. If that's the case this will be the first game where the entire starting O line plays.

This is a very talented offense overall though with multiple good to elite pass catchers at TE, RB, and WR. If anyone watched the Cowboys game Aaron Jones is a rookie RB that had a big game and looked really good. Expect for the Packers to test him against much stiffer competition in the Vikings defense this week. If he has another big game running the football you can expect the Packers offense to be near unstoppable unless more injuries occur. 

The advantage you will have is your WRs against a pretty weak corner group. The only caveat is that the Packers have a group of really good pass rushers so getting the ball out fast and to the right read is a must. 

Archived