Baker Mayfield vs Lamar Jackson

patriotsheatyan

Shouldn’t you at least put Pt.2 in the title? I think Baker is ahead in the passing department at the moment, but Lamar is still far more impactful IMO.

Though considering his age and work ethic, I believe Lamar is still developing as a passer and will be better next season. Like Baker, this season, I think Lamar next season will adjust to the defensive adjustments made against him this year and make improvements to his mechanics that will pay dividends next year. That said Stefanski is far better at building a passing scheme than Roman so I think that could also play a part in this evaluation moving forward.

I think Lamar wins this, but it’s at least a worthwhile debate this season.

• Like 1

Baker is in one of the best situations for a young QB. He has solid coaching, an elite running game, a great o-line that's tough as nails, weapons on offense, etc....great job by Cleveland giving him every opportunity to succeed.

Lamar is also in a pretty good situation for his strengths, but I believe Baker is in an even better environment. 

I will say- up until Monday I thought Baker would be a top-10ish QB, but it was impressive watching him will his team back over and over again. I saw a franchise QB, so the sky's the limit for the kid.

Lamar was dominant as well. So, this is really close; I'm going with a push, but if you put a gun to my head I'd chose Lamar just because I like him more as a person. Lame, I know- and obviously I don't have a deep insight into either of their personal lives to judge too harshly, but f it- we're casting votes on a football forum so does it really matter?  

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 2

As others have said, Lamar is just the far more impactful player overall right now. I will say, Baker is slowly impressing me more and more. I wasn’t a big believer after his rookie and his sophomore seasons, but he’s been solid this year. I still don’t know that he’ll ever be an upper tier qb but he can be solidly above average for a good little while in this league.

• Like 1

I’m not bumping that other thread. Baker managed to overthrow a Hail Mary with the longest recorded pass in NFL history. There’s this myth he doesn’t have a strong enough arm. I think it’s because he’s short so people assume that.

Pretty sure Chuck Clark died on this play too.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/baker-mayfields-overthrown-hail-mary-is-the-longest-pass-ever-recorded-in-an-nfl-game/

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m not bumping that other thread. Baker managed to overthrow a Hail Mary with the longest recorded pass in NFL history. There’s this myth he doesn’t have a strong enough arm. I think it’s because he’s short so people assume that.

Pretty sure Chuck Clark died on this play too.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/baker-mayfields-overthrown-hail-mary-is-the-longest-pass-ever-recorded-in-an-nfl-game/

I shouldn't have to say this, but arguing (once again) that Baker's arm strength shouldn't be criticized in a thread where nobody is criticizing his arm strength (once again) is silly

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I shouldn't have to say this, but arguing (once again) that Baker's arm strength shouldn't be criticized in a thread where nobody is criticizing his arm strength (once again) is silly

I think a lot of the built up frustration from a good portion of Browns fans culminates from the 1.0 version of this thread that criticizes Baker and comments like you heard from the brain dead Brian Griese on MNF just before that pass that he then doubled down on even after that throw about Baker not having a good arm. It's not directed at anyone in particular, but more or less a "general education" of other fans who may not know this.