Week 15 GDT - Dallas Cowboys vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Because of the changes to the fifth year option, I legitimately think that there could be some question on whether or not we pick up McGlinchey's after this season. I'd probably err on the side of picking it up, but I get how it's at least a conversation now. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Because of the changes to the fifth year option, I legitimately think that there could be some question on whether or not we pick up McGlinchey's after this season. I'd probably err on the side of picking it up, but I get how it's at least a conversation now. 

What did they change with the option?

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Isn't it like 10m? 

Hard pass from me

Just now, Justone2 said:

It was only guaranteed for Injury right?

Honestly with a position like T and McGlinchey i think a new contract would make more sense than the option.

Previously it was only guaranteed for injury. It is now fully guaranteed. So it's going to start making more sense to turn down the option and then just franchise tag someone to keep flexibility if they perform well in the 4th year. 

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

Hard pass 

We can find someone else to be mediocre in pass protection and not pay them so much 

You aren't paying him just to pass protect. You pay him because he is one of the best run blockers in the league. He should be better in pass pro to deserve a big contract but replacing him isn't that easy.

Edited by Justone2

2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

You aren't paying him to pass protect. You pay him because he is one of the best run blockers in the league. He should be better in pass pro to deserve a big contract but replacing him isn't that easy.

It's actually an interesting conundrum from an on field standpoint because we actually did a complete 180 from Brown to McG...discounting Browns injury history, I'd rather have him and his skillset 

Just now, Forge said:

It's actually an interesting conundrum from an on field standpoint because we actually did a complete 180 from Brown to McG...discounting Browns injury history, I'd rather have him and his skillset 

In term of the actual player over a long time give me McGlinchey. In terms of pure skillset in a vacuum give me Brown. 

Just now, Justone2 said:

In term of the actual player over a long time give me McGlinchey. In terms of pure skillset in a vacuum give me Brown. 

If we are discounting the injuries, I want the superior pass blocker every time without fail. Far easier to scheme around a subpar run blocker than pass blocker. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

If we are discounting the injuries, I want the superior pass blocker every time without fail. Far easier to scheme around a subpar run blocker than pass blocker. 

Honestly with Brown its not just the injuries. They guy routinely showed up overweight every single year. For a whole career i trust a guy like McG far more than Brown. If you just look at pure skillset i think Browns run blocking was so bad for us that it almost became a bigger liability than McGlinchey's pass blocking(Not just looking at this year which has been really not good).