2021 Free Agent Thread

NcFinest9erFan

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I would like to re-sign Williams (duh), Moseley (RFA), K. Williams and one of Sherman/Verrett.

Guys like Tartt and Jones would be good to bring back but doesn't seem possible and you can replace those guys.

Then I want an update at C, whoever that may be. 

Yeah, I love for Sherm to stay and play FS but I think like most of us, he'll follow the money and saleh to DET. We will miss his leadership.

Love Jones but man seems like every year some ankle injury bugs him. I wouldn't mind it if he came back on a cheap deal. Same for Tartt but like you said he's replaceble.

Alex Mack is probably my #1 Center crush. Corey Linsley from GB is schedule to be a FA so he's probably another guy to look at.

If Ford retires or gets cut, Shaq Barrett would be nice but he's gonna be looking for a big pay day.  Aldon is another guy but again what will his market look like?

Thoughts on Haason Riddick? 10 sacks on the year although five came last week lol.

I don't expect us to be big in FA at all.

We've got to extend Warner this offseason, Bosa next offseason, so a lot of money to be tied up to that.

Likely means we can't afford the solid but bound to be a bit overpaid UFA's like Juice, DJ Jones, Tartt, K'Waun Williams, Hyder, & Sherman

I expect most of our replacements to be in-house or in the draft. And probably try to hit on a bargain bin FA 

I think we'll re-sign Trent Williams since he's elite and its a premium position....maybe get Verrett & Reed in a incentive-laden deal that protects the team from injury issues....bring back one or two of Blair/Jordan/Ansah for edge depth we'll probably bring back most if not all of our RFA/ERFA's 

List of all our FA's here

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/san-francisco-49ers/

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I don't expect us to be big in FA at all.

We've got to extend Warner this offseason, Bosa next offseason, so a lot of money to be tied up to that.

Likely means we can't afford the solid but bound to be a bit overpaid UFA's like Juice, DJ Jones, Tartt, K'Waun Williams, Hyder, & Sherman

I expect most of our replacements to be in-house or in the draft. And probably try to hit on a bargain bin FA 

I think we'll re-sign Trent Williams since he's elite and its a premium position....maybe get Verrett & Reed in a incentive-laden deal that protects the team from injury issues....bring back one or two of Blair/Jordan/Ansah for edge depth we'll probably bring back most if not all of our RFA/ERFA's 

List of all our FA's here

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/san-francisco-49ers/

Agreed. I see Trent and Fred as 1A and 1B. After that then we can go from there with probably Verrett/Sherman.

If our biggest FA add is Alex Mack, I'd be contend.

8 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Agreed. I see Trent and Fred as 1A and 1B. After that then we can go from there with probably Verrett/Sherman.

If our biggest FA add is Alex Mack, I'd be contend.

I said this in another thread, but Mack makes waaaay too much sense if he chooses to continue his career. I would be a very big fan of that signing, now if we could just find an above average Guard, we would be set on the o-line.

I would also like Kerrigan to com in and split time with Hyder (if -re-sgined) opposite Bosa. Release Dee Ford, that's a no brainer at this point.

CB is my biggest worry, while I think Moseley will be easy to re-sign and Verrett shouldnt command to much, those are two shaky options heading into the season. I think Sherman will price himself out and we will need to look to the early rounds of the draft and some bargain FA's to strengthen that position.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I said this in another thread, but Mack makes waaaay too much sense if he chooses to continue his career. I would be a very big fan of that signing, now if we could just find an above average Guard, we would be set on the o-line.

I would also like Kerrigan to com in and split time with Hyder (if -re-sgined) opposite Bosa. Release Dee Ford, that's a no brainer at this point.

CB is my biggest worry, while I think Moseley will be easy to re-sign and Verrett shouldnt command to much, those are two shaky options heading into the season. I think Sherman will price himself out and we will need to look to the early rounds of the draft and some bargain FA's to strengthen that position.

If we did land Mack, I wouldn't mind Richburg back to compete at G/restructure his deal to do so.

Kerrigan would be nice. Heck, I didn't even notice if he played much Sunday?

I truly believe that CB will be address in the first round. I think we'll end up getting a vet QB via trade. With how frustrated Kyle is on Sundays, I wonder if that will push him to go after a Vet instead of roll with a rookie? a Rookie who may or may not play in year one?

13 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

If we did land Mack, I wouldn't mind Richburg back to compete at G/restructure his deal to do so.

Kerrigan would be nice. Heck, I didn't even notice if he played much Sunday?

I truly believe that CB will be address in the first round. I think we'll end up getting a vet QB via trade. With how frustrated Kyle is on Sundays, I wonder if that will push him to go after a Vet instead of roll with a rookie? a Rookie who may or may not play in year one?

Yeah, I am very torn on the QB issue. As much as I believe Zach Wilson would be amazing under Shannahan, I do think those two early pick could be better spent elsewhere and would benefit our team greatly, especially if it is keeping Jimmy G on his feet.

As for Veterans, I would love to see Stafford under Shannahan, but his is at the backend of his career, probably give us 2-3 years tops. Dalton would cost too much at this point, Winston may be able to resurrect his career here, not too many great options after that.

I still think Jimmy G can bring us to a SB, but he needs the pieces around him to be above average to great. Zach Wilson would be great for the future, but I would expect a rough first season.

2 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Yeah, I am very torn on the QB issue. As much as I believe Zach Wilson would be amazing under Shannahan, I do think those two early pick could be better spent elsewhere and would benefit our team greatly, especially if it is keeping Jimmy G on his feet.

As for Veterans, I would love to see Stafford under Shannahan, but his is at the backend of his career, probably give us 2-3 years tops. Dalton would cost too much at this point, Winston may be able to resurrect his career here, not too many great options after that.

I still think Jimmy G can bring us to a SB, but he needs the pieces around him to be above average to great. Zach Wilson would be great for the future, but I would expect a rough first season.

I still want to believe in Jimmy and blame the ankle issue but my fear is he comes back in 2021 and he doesn't improve still. As we all have seen, he makes throws that make you go ok then he makes throws that makes you shake your head....

Overall, my personal issue is that I want a SB win and I want it now.

Edited by NcFinest9erFan
  • Like 2

QB 

We are going to have to make some sort of move here, but I don't think that we are turning over the room. We are either going to keep Jimmy and have two new backups, or keep one of the two backups and get a new starter + additional backup.

I'd be interested in guys if they are much cheaper than Jimmy and largely lateral moves in my opinion (Winston, Rivers). Would love to get Dak, but that's going to be crazy high priced. 

If we are looking at backups, I actually am interested in Mariota for some reason (have never been a fan). Fitzy, Tyrod, Dalton are all guys that make sense potentially as just competent back up types, and Hoyer, Barkley, Schaub are all guys with experience in Shanny's scheme. I think I'm out on Trubisky, but I wouldn't hate it if that is a move we made...I just think that he's not very good. 

I would expect us to be active here for at least one person in some capacity. 

RB 

I think you can make a reasonable case that we could buy super cheap and bring a guy in. Before his injury, Rex Burkhead would have definitely been a Shanny guy. Not sure if that is the case any more with the injury. I wouldn't mind bringing Hyde back, who had no market this year despite a solid season with the Texans last year and when playing, he's not been bad or anything this year. I don't expect us to bring Coleman back and Mostert has been injury plagued throughout his career, so wouldn't at all be shocked if we added someone. 

WR

This is a big one for me as I really want a better WR3. I love Bourne; guys stays healthy and he makes some  big catches. But he is what he is. In a perfect world where nobody gets hurt, he's fine. But the world doesn't work like that, and as a safety precaution, I would almost write down Deebo to miss two games every year. So I want a guy that can accept a WR3, 50% of snaps role but still step into a WR2 role and not kill us when that time comes. This is typically going to be veterans who may want a shot at winning. Guys who don't need as much money, and are older. I'm looking at Marvin Jones, AJ Green, TY Hilton. There are other guys who would interest me who are younger as well; Keelan Cole, Josh Reynolds, but I think your better options are the older guys. That being said, I don't find it likely Hilton plays anywhere but Indy. Jones and Green both have some injury history, and I'm not quite sure that Green isn't completely done as is. 

Special note - I have to imagine that Shanny would love him some Curtis Samuels, but I think he's going to get paid. 

TE 

Biggest question for me is Jordan Reed, but even if he's back, I wouldn't expect the team to be in on this market that much. The only other guy that really would interest me would be someone like James O'Shaughnessy. If he's cut, we can bring back Toilolo as well (he also wouldn't mess with our comp pick formula), though Trey Burton may be a solid combination of blocking + receiving. 

DL 

I expect that Hyder has priced himself out of our range, but I think we will likely bring back Willis. Takk is obviously a guy that we had a lot of interest in, so don't be at all shocked if we make that play again with an off season to heel. A lot of our potential activity in this area could depend on whether or not Ford can pass a physical. If he can't, he's on the books and we can't get rid of him. If he doesn't, I wouldn't be shocked if we restructure him or cut him out right. Restructuring him saves more cap immediately, but hits us with dead money in 2022. A personal favorite of mine is Okwara in this class, vastly underrated player, but without money, I would expect us to remain on the cheaper side here and probably add to this position through the draft. So Willis, Takk. I could see us bringing in Bruce Irvin. Mario Edwards. Smoot has actually had a handful of sacks this year, but he's a younger guy you may want to try and swing on if he's affordable. Charles Harris is another. I think that we are mostly good on the interior; I expect DJ to be gone, but Daniels / Kinlaw to take over the middle with guys like AA / Givens / Blair / etc rotating into the middle. Not impossible that Street or Solly aren't back either. 

LB 

Al-Shaair needs comp for sure. He's awful. But otherwise, I think that this is pretty stable. Al Shaair could get competition from a vet minimum guy or a UDFA so I don't believe that we are wading into these waters. Walker or Nzeocha will be back for special teams value, and I think that DFF has a really strong shot at being the LB3 and potential coverbacker. 

CB

Hot damn, this is a mess. Sherm has already acknowledged he's likely not back, and that makes sense. JV entirely depends on the contract. Are any of us buying that he's going to stay healthy for 2 years in a row if we bring him back? Because I'm kind of not. But jettisoning both of those guys leaves us in an insane position. e-man will be back, but I don't know that he's actually any good and I value him more as the top backup outside corner than a starter. Williams is the easiest corner to replace given he's slot exclusive, but I Think that also could make his market crater as well. So out of the three main CB FAs, I think he's the most likely back. We almost have to add one in the draft + add a free agent. Thankfully, if the team continues this trend of trying to go all in on the pass rush / front seven, then you don't need to break the bank here. We have seen that philosophy work with a crazy pass rush with 4 working with meh corners. Guys like Dre Kirkpatrick on a short term deal make a ton of sense; he shouldn't cost a ton. Ross Cockrell is a zone corner who's not having a good season, but was actually pretty solid ealrier in his career and was good as recently as 2 years ago with the Panthers. He's a guy that you can target for sure. Then there are a number of name guys who barely got opportunities this year. Corner is a  really interesting market. Don't be shocked at all if we land one or two "names" for like the vet minimum next season. 

I don't expect us to be in on this market much, if at all. I think Cyprien / Harris is likely back as one of the back up safeties, then we could draft a guy as the other back up, or have a vet minimum back up compete with a UDFA type. Colbert obviously has familiarity with the team; Will Redmond isn't very good but basically plays this exact role for GB as a top back up, so he's a guy that would make a lot of sense. 

As mentioned by others,  I don't expect us to be busy in this regard at all and I'm kind of hoping we stick to minimums and guys who are cut. Honestly, we should come out of this FA period with no less than 3 comp picks, I think. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't expect much of any changes on the offensive line, especially with the starters (assuming Trent re-signs). I think that there's a good chance that we are running with what we have. McKivitz is getting much needed experience now, and played every snap against a tough Washington defense without giving up a pressure. Brunskill isn't great at center, but I wouldn't at all be shocked if Richburg retires that we kept him there and just re-signed Garland to back him up. Otherwise he'll likely slide into a top back up role. The only addition I could see happen would be Alex Mack if Richburg retires. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I wouldn't expect much of any changes on the offensive line, especially with the starters (assuming Trent re-signs). I think that there's a good chance that we are running with what we have. McKivitz is getting much needed experience now, and played every snap against a tough Washington defense without giving up a pressure. Brunskill isn't great at center, but I wouldn't at all be shocked if Richburg retires that we kept him there and just re-signed Garland to back him up. Otherwise he'll likely slide into a top back up role. The only addition I could see happen would be Alex Mack if Richburg retires. 

yep and again I'd be more than happy if Mack is our BIG splash in FA.

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I still want to believe in Jimmy and blame the ankle issue but my fear is he comes back in 2021 and he doesn't improve still. As we all have seen, he makes throws that make you go ok then he makes throws that makes you shake your head....

Overall, my personal issue is that I want a SB win and I want it now.

Yep, Unfortunately, I dont think a rookie nor any veteran that is attainable will provide any better chance next season for a SuperBowl over Jimmy..........ok, maybe Stafford

• Like 1

My re-signing priority list

The Exclusive-Rights No-Brainers: 

• Emmanuel Moseley - 2021 starter
  • Dan Brunskill - Competes for starting RG spot or backup center, back up tackle
  • Kevin Givens - Competes for starting spot next to Kinlaw
  • JaMycal Hasty - Competes for backup duties behind Mostert
  • Austin Walter - Good PS / 4th string RB

The Must Haves:

• Trent Williams - #1 priority this offseason
  • Jason Verrett - 2021 starter
  • Ben Garland - Quality depth along the interior
  • Taybor Pepper - Weird that a LS is in this category but the 49ers can't figure this position out for some reason

The Wants:

• Kyle Juszczyk - Would love to have back on a team-friendly deal
  • Kendrick Bourne - He deserves to be on the team but at the right price
  • K'Waun Williams - Too good to let go, but it might be time
  • Jordan Reed - 1 to 2 year prove it deal would be great
  • Kerry Hyder - Probably too expensive now, but I would love to have back.
  • Jeff Wilson - Not sure he's worth the original round tender of $2.4 mil, but I'd love to see a long-term deal worked out for a smaller cap hit.
  • D.J. Jones - With his 2020 play, I can't see him commanding big money on the market. Might be able to get him back cheap

The Bubble:

• Richard Sherman - As good as gone. But would love to have back on a team-friendly deal
  • Robbie Gould - $5 mil for a kicker is too much for the 49ers right now. There are other good options on the market that could be cheaper
  • Ronnie Blair - Would love to have him back, but I don't know how healthy he is right now. Will he be ready to go for TC?
  • Hroniss Grasu - Very low priority. I'd offer a contract to be on the PS if he's still eligible 
  • Jamar Taylor - Would love to have him back but he might start the year on PUP. Maybe we can get him for cheap and stash him until mid 2021
  • Jordan Willis - If we can get him back for under $1 mil, I'd do it. More than that, I'd walk away.
  • Nick Mullens - Right now, he's not worth the original round RFA tender of $2.4 mil. If we can get him back for cheaper, fine.
  • Ross Dwelley - Would like to have him back but not for $2.4 mil RFA tender. Same deal as Wilson
  • Marcell Harris - Same as Dwelley and Wilson
  • Ken Webster - ERFA but he hasn't done much of anything. His biggest benefit is he would cost league minimum for 2021 as depth
  • River Cracraft - Same as Webster
  • Dion Jordan - Same as Willis

No Thanks:

• Soloman Thomas - Unless we can get him back for a super cheap deal, I'm out.
  • Jaquiski Tartt - It's time to walk away
  • Tevin Coleman - Not worth it
  • Tom Compton - No
  • Zeke Ansah - Was never really that good to begin with
  • Jerick McKinnon - No juice left in his legs
  • Tony Bergstrom - No thanks
  • Ahkello Witherspoon - Time for a change of scenery
  • Dontae Johnson - Please god, just go away
  • C.J. Beathard - It's time to cut him loose
  • Joe Walker - There are 50 Joe Walkers available every offseason
  • Trent Taylor - Time to go somewhere else.
  • Like 2

Juice is going to be interesting. I'm sure Shanahan wants him back but if they believe in Hokit, then that could make Juice expendable.

K'waun Williams I see coming back. He's just on another level compared to anyone else on the team in the slot. Do you think Beasley or Kupp have their way if Williams is playing? I don't think he's even going to cost all that much. Verrett will depend strictly off the type of market he has. As shown when healthy, he's still a pro bowl level player but there is HUGE risk there.