2021 Free Agent Thread

NcFinest9erFan

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Juice is going to be interesting. I'm sure Shanahan wants him back but if they believe in Hokit, then that could make Juice expendable.

K'waun Williams I see coming back. He's just on another level compared to anyone else on the team in the slot. Do you think Beasley or Kupp have their way if Williams is playing? I don't think he's even going to cost all that much. Verrett will depend strictly off the type of market he has. As shown when healthy, he's still a pro bowl level player but there is HUGE risk there. 

The thing with guys like Kwaun is where ever Saleh ends up, I'm sure he's going to make getting guys he's familiar with a priority. And I'm sure he'll throw money@guys like Kwaun & Tartt to make it happen. More money than we'll be able to adford I'm betting.

Edited by 757-NINER

23 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

The thing with guys like Kwaun is where ever Saleh ends up, I'm sure he's going to make getting guys he's familiar with a priority. And I'm sure he'll throw money@guys like Kwaun & Tartt to make it happen. More money than we'll be able to adford I'm betting.

This is a good point. Williams is super effective at short zone and crashing the LOS. If we transition to a different scheme where those skills aren't as useful for our nickel corner, both Williams and Taylor might not be as good of a fit for us. 

26 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Fair enough , but I'm not sure how much K'waun will get elsewhere.

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

This is a good point. Williams is super effective at short zone and crashing the LOS. If we transition to a different scheme where those skills aren't as useful for our nickel corner, both Williams and Taylor might not be as good of a fit for us. 

Williams is going to be a top level slot corner in whatever scheme. Nothing he doesn't do well. 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Fair enough , but I'm not sure how much K'waun will get elsewhere.

Williams is going to be a top level slot corner in whatever scheme. Nothing he doesn't do well. 

Man coverage would be the only area I can think of, but that may just be due to the fact the 49ers don't ask their nickels to do much of it. Williams is definitely a top-flight Nickel, but he's also 30, so he may not command top dollar. 

38 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

If Saleh goes to Detroit, which many are expecting, I don’t know if he’ll have the ammo to make those moves though. From the quick look I just had, Detroit is right up against the cap in 2021 as well. Obviously we won’t know until the official cap number is announced, but it doesn’t look like they have a lot to play around with either.

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Man coverage would be the only area I can think of, but that may just be due to the fact the 49ers don't ask their nickels to do much of it. Williams is definitely a top-flight Nickel, but he's also 30, so he may not command top dollar. 

It's also a position that you can get strong play for pretty negligible cost. Taylor was actually really good this year and was brought in on the vet minimum. Failed outside corners turn into serviceable slots all the time, and it's an area where you aren't completely out of step getting competent play from a rookie. Slot corners are fairly easy to get okay play from, so honestly I'm not sure how much teams "value" elite play from that position. 

It's an interesting situation with Williams because he's the most expendable, but because of his niche, definitely has the best shot at not being cost prohibitive. 

Just now, Forge said:

It's also a position that you can get strong play for pretty negligible cost. Taylor was actually really good this year and was brought in on the vet minimum. Failed outside corners turn into serviceable slots all the time, and it's an area where you aren't completely out of step getting competent play from a rookie. Slot corners are fairly easy to get okay play from, so honestly I'm not sure how much teams "value" elite play from that position. 

It's an interesting situation with Williams because he's the most expendable, but because of his niche, definitely has the best shot at not being cost prohibitive. 

Yeah slot is an area I don't know a ton about. But, I agree with what you're saying. Taylor was a bust before coming to the Niners and he was essentially a shutdown Nickel and we didn't see much of a drop off between him and Williams. Is that a product of the position, skill, or production of the scheme? No clue. 

If Taylor didn't tear his ACL, I'd be all for signing him over Williams this offseason. But with the ACL, PUP is probably his most likely outcome, so it's either sign Williams, sign a FA, or draft one. 

9 hours ago, Forge said:

I didn't know, he's actually under contract. I can't imagine the raiders keep him at ten million, but he's not actually a free agent

Yea I think he hits the market in 2022 I believe.

I think there's alot there to work with though. Two years under Gruden should definitely prepare him Shanny's scheme. 

The idea of trading for him has definitely crossed my mind, even before last nigh. Don't really know what it would take compensation wise but he's definitely another guy I would love to see get with Kyle and see if he can unlock his massive potential. 

• 2 months later...

It seems like we've mostly been discussing our own guys so far in this thread, but a few external guys I would like to see us bring in are Levi Wallace (7th round shadow pick) and maybe someone like Carl Lawson as cheaper guys that could play big roles on this team. Lawson has had his share of injuries if memory serves, but that is a much lower risk signing that Dee was and would only really have to play as that 3rd down pass rusher. I've always been a fan of Wallace since his Bama days, and I think he could push Moseley for a starting spot across from Verrett. 

17 minutes ago, GW21 said:

It seems like we've mostly been discussing our own guys so far in this thread, but a few external guys I would like to see us bring in are Levi Wallace (7th round shadow pick) and maybe someone like Carl Lawson as cheaper guys that could play big roles on this team. Lawson has had his share of injuries if memory serves, but that is a much lower risk signing that Dee was and would only really have to play as that 3rd down pass rusher. I've always been a fan of Wallace since his Bama days, and I think he could push Moseley for a starting spot across from Verrett. 

I don't think there's any way that Carl Lawson is coming cheap. My gut says he sticks in Cincinnati...they usually do a fair job of signing and brining back their own guys. 

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think there's any way that Carl Lawson is coming cheap. My gut says he sticks in Cincinnati...they usually do a fair job of signing and brining back their own guys. 

I'm not saying he'll be cheap, but cheaper than some of the other alternatives out there like Ngakoue. I expect a lot of guys to sign one year deals this offseason with hopes of cashing in during the next couple of offseasons. I think we'd be a pretty desirable location for pass rushers trying to increase their value with Bosa playing on the other side. Obviously we aren't going to be big players in FA if we can resign Trent Williams, but as you have often alluded to many times, that is far from a certainty. I still want to draft an edge high in this draft, but as our history has shown, you can never have too many pass rushers. 

• Like 1