2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

7 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Bennett came after Bradley. Bradley used Patrick Kerney (classic 4-3 DE), Kentwan Balmer (DT type) and Red Bryant (DT) at base SDE with Seattle. Tyson Alualu, Red Bryant and Jared Odrick with Jax. It's a bit different with the Chargers although he did use Damion Square at End. Watt brings more than any of those because he's obviously more than just a run defender.

When Bennett came to Seattle, Bryant remained the starting base End with Bennett getting heavy rotation snaps.  

Ah yes, well remembered! Red Bryant was a beast there, forgot about him. Very underrated player indeed. It seems at first glass that Bradley has and will adapt to players on the roster which would be a refreshing change......

You don't take a WR in the 1st and another in the 3rd to pay a WR in FA.  Especially when the defense is so bad and needs talent. 

If we want a WR in FA have some prove it deals. 

Spend the money on defense.  Trust Ruggs and Edwards to step up next year. Waller, Moreau, Jacobs, Ruggs, Edwards and Renfrow is enough weapons, everybody offers something different.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

“He’s under contract and when he’s healthy he’s dominant. And you’ve got to juxtapose that with his inability to play, week to week, over a two-year period,” Mayock said, via Vinny Bonsignore of the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “We’re excited about the player, but we’ve got to get a more consistent player. And obviously, we’re talking about everything right now. We think he’s the best right tackle in the league when healthy.”

I think we all knew this but Mayock seems clear that we will move on from Brown.

Maybe I'm totally wrong but from reading those comments it sounds to me like we're not intending moving on but are trying to give Brown another chance to be more 'consistent'.........

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Maybe I'm totally wrong but from reading those comments it sounds to me like we're not intending moving on but are trying to give Brown another chance to be more 'consistent'.........

We got to get and we got to have are two different statements.  Got to have means maybe you are going to see if he can do it.  Got to get means you are looking for something you do not currently have.

9 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We got to get and we got to have are two different statements.  Got to have means maybe you are going to see if he can do it.  Got to get means you are looking for something you do not currently have.

This is GM talk. Keeping options open going into the offseason

8 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I dont think that correlates really............. can Brown get more 'consistent' .......or can we get a more 'consistent' Brown....... or can we get a more 'consistent' alterative player can all be speculated and read into that statement. Anyone who says shined instead of shone I dont think you can really read that much into one word in the whole comment 😁

I was thinking more of the effusive praise and Mayock specifically calking him the best RT in the game and calling him dominant and being 'excited' about him really. I guess its all speculation either way 😀 and I'm not sure either way what would be best if I'm honest.

3 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I dont think that correlates really............. can Brown get more 'consistent' .......or can we get a more 'consistent' Brown....... or can we get a more 'consistent' alterative player can all be speculated and read into that statement. Anyone who says shined instead of shone I dont think you can really read that much into one word in the whole comment 😁

I was thinking more of the effusive praise and Mayock specifically calking him the best RT in the game and calling him dominant and being 'excited' about him really. I guess its all speculation either way 😀 and I'm not sure either way what would be best if I'm honest.

If he is healthy then he is the best.  If not we are better going in another direction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

That was my take as well. Give him a mulligan for 2020 because of Covid and the training staff hospitalizing him.... least they can do lol

• Like 1

Bottom line on Brown. Gruden know Carr needs GREAT protection to be successful. He knows Carr panics under pressure and it effects him mentally. Second, he wants to be a dominate running team. 

Since joining the Raiders his priority has been the Oline and making sure it's sound. 

I don't see Gruden giving up on Brown and risking a potential issue on the right side that could effect his QB and put his offense off schedule. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

Surely Watt would play 3tec here if he came and Ferrell would play the edge still. I actually really like Ferrell, box score stats don't show how well he's actually done. Wouldn't be surprised if he plays the Melvin Ingram roll really well for us going forward. 

I think it'd be Ferrell and Watt at DE in base. Then Watt inside with Crosby at DE in sub packages.

20 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Bottom line on Brown. Gruden know Carr needs GREAT protection to be successful. He knows Carr panics under pressure and it effects him mentally. Second, he wants to be a dominate running team. 

Since joining the Raiders his priority has been the Oline and making sure it's sound. 

I don't see Gruden giving up on Brown and risking a potential issue on the right side that could effect his QB and put his offense off schedule. 

I don't know about that. Brown played 4 games and 3 snaps this season and the offense was better than last year.

3 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I don't know about that. Brown played 4 games and 3 snaps this season and the offense was better than last year.

I get it. But it was a revolving door at RT and they ended up with a lot of help from among others Witten on that side. 

If Gruden can convince himself Trent will stay healthy for 16 games, then he will keep him. Will be something to watch.

40 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

That was my take as well. Give him a mulligan for 2020 because of Covid and the training staff hospitalizing him.... least they can do lol

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

I get it. But it was a revolving door at RT and they ended up with a lot of help from among others Witten on that side. 

If Gruden can convince himself Trent will stay healthy for 16 games, then he will keep him. Will be something to watch.

As much as people hate it, I think it's better to give him one more shot seeing as his contract is not guaranteed past this year. If not, we open up a massive hole that needs to be filled.

Just now, big_palooka said:

There's no doubt Brown is a better player than Young or Parker but what this season showed is the offense can still work without him. But i really don't know. If he's healthy, we're better.