2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Not necessarily.... there will be very good FS options in rounds 1 and 2 of the draft.  Look at the FS market.... it’s filled with guys drafted in the second to forth round that were near instant starters.

Do I prefer to wait until the draft to find a starting FS?  No, but if the FA market shakes out so that we can fill DT and DE/SAM with some very good players and we go that route instead of overpaying for a FS I’d happily draft a FS in round 2.

I don't want to add another youngster to our secondary. When you can get a John Johnson or Marcus Williams whom are still young but have 4 years experience in the league. But what you're said, that's why the price is never super high.

• Like 1

I personally think we are off to a good start to the offseason

• hired a coveted DC in Gus Bradley
  • brought back David Irving
  • making the right move and dropping Tyrelle Williams
  • signed Trey Quinn is a solid 5th/6th WR.  depth move with NFL talent
  • Rashaan Gaulden brought in as a reserve S. He's an actually NFL talent instead of the Juco talent Leavitt. Former 3rd round pick

• Kyle Sloter- this guy might surprise a lot of people.He's the perfect west coast QB. Could be a dark horse QB2

Assuming we make a ton of cuts and free up space, here's my free agency wish list. (Not sure if it'd work with our cap situation) 

• John Johnson III: 4 yr/$52M ($13M/APY) 

• Quinton Dunbar: 2 yr/$12M ($6M/APY)

• Kelvin Beachum: 2 yr/$9M ($4.5M/APY) 

• Jamaal Williams: 2 yr/$6M ($3M/APY)

• Hasson Reddick: 2 yr/$17M ($8.5M/APY) 

On 2/21/2021 at 12:44 PM, NYRaider said:

Assuming we make a ton of cuts and free up space, here's my free agency wish list. (Not sure if it'd work with our cap situation) 

• John Johnson III: 4 yr/$52M ($13M/APY) 

• Quinton Dunbar: 2 yr/$12M ($6M/APY)

• Kelvin Beachum: 2 yr/$9M ($4.5M/APY) 

• Jamaal Williams: 2 yr/$6M ($3M/APY)

• Hasson Reddick: 2 yr/$17M ($8.5M/APY) 

That would take T. Brown, T. Williams, Joyner, and Mariota to make all that happen.  I'm okay with that.

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

That would take T. Brown, T. Williams, Joyner, and Mariota to make all that happen.  I'm okay with that.

Let's not lots the fact that if Carr signs an extension that'll help a lot too.  Read an article that if he is inked to a 29-30 mill a year deal it adds like 18-20 mill to our cap space.  I forget the exact details.  But that's invisible free money.  

1 hour ago, Totty said:

Let's not lots the fact that if Carr signs an extension that'll help a lot too.  Read an article that if he is inked to a 29-30 mill a year deal it adds like 18-20 mill to our cap space.  I forget the exact details.  But that's invisible free money.  

Crazy.  I'm all for it personally.  I want us to go hard in FAs to bring in the top talent available.  There are FSs, CBs, WRs, DTs that we could definitely use.  We need upgrades across the board and the draft isn't going to suffice.

4 hours ago, Totty said:

There is no incentive for Carr to extend. He's already rich. He can play out the contract, take a franchise tag twice if he wanted.

A 2 year extension does nothing for him, but benefits the team. I wouldn't sign a contract extension at bargain 30 mil that would leave me open to being traded because of the value. Carr has all the leverage in this situation. 

22 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

There is no incentive for Carr to extend. He's already rich. He can play out the contract, take a franchise tag twice if he wanted.

A 2 year extension does nothing for him, but benefits the team. I wouldn't sign a contract extension at bargain 30 mil that would leave me open to being traded because of the value. Carr has all the leverage in this situation. 

It'd be a raise and he's a team guy.  I think that's an important factor.  Has several times over said he wanted to play out his days in silver and black.  I'm not saying your wrong I'm just saying don't count it out.  

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

The fact that he's already rich could be the biggest reason why he would do it. Carr doesn't strike me as the get every single dollar he can, mercenary type. It's entirely possible he realizes what will help his legacy and future the most is finally winning. And if sold on the idea of being able to free up money for an impact player it's possible. 

Plus he's currently playing without any guaranteed money. And that's big for a lot of players. If he gets a 2 or 3 year extension that guarantees his money over the next couple seasons that could be something that interests him. It's also the thing that keeps him from having all the leverage. He doesn't have any years left that make it hard for us to trade him or flat out release him if he fell off a cliff. He could absolutely see the advantage to taking a small discount from what he could get on the market (frankly I think his deal in 17 was a discount from what he would have got on the open market anyway) at 30 million a year if it guarantees his money in years 2 and 3. The NFL moves fast and on a contract like Carr is currently on, he's one major injury or down season away from losing out on the money on his current deal. 

Edited by Mr Raider
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Carr has stated he wants to remain a Raider, if that is true, he could sign a long term deal with a no trade clause to make that happen. 

On 2/20/2021 at 6:26 PM, OnlyGlove said:

If we leave FA without a stud FS we're messed-up.  Must be 6 good great options 

Draft has around that same number of quality Safeties in first 3 rounds. Would rather sign FS Hooker and draft one in the 2nd/3rd and let the best man win. If both can ball then Abram will see he better step up. 

On 2/20/2021 at 7:12 PM, jimkelly02 said:

Not necessarily.... there will be very good FS options in rounds 1 and 2 of the draft.  Look at the FS market.... it’s filled with guys drafted in the second to forth round that were near instant starters.

Do I prefer to wait until the draft to find a starting FS?  No, but if the FA market shakes out so that we can fill DT and DE/SAM with some very good players and we go that route instead of overpaying for a FS I’d happily draft a FS in round 2.

Was just saying something similar. Personally I'd like FS Hooker 1 yr/ 3 mil prove it deal before the draft and get the rookie S in 2nd/3rd. If Hooker is stellar and healthy sign him and Abram has a hot seat with a rookie waiting for him to miss time. 

I want a vet pass rusher and DT with Hooker. Draft BPA hopefully LB Parsons would fall to us. Then S in 2nd unless a T fell that we had rated a 1st then get S in 3rd if o=possible and trade up if necessary. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

There's an incentive for Carr. Getting guarantees which he has none left on his current contract.

• Like 1