2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Also the Raiders must be really happy with how the market for OGs is shaping up. They were set to pay Gabe and Richie a combined 15 million and now with how many OGs are available they will probably get two starters for 10 million or less if they do bring back Richie. 

I hope we spend it on a long term starter. 

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Apparently isn't a scheme fit in their new D. Could have interest joining his former DC again? Chargers fans (all 2 of them) saying he has declined recently and is 32. Could be a nice vet stop gap to teach the young guys the scheme.

I think he'd be a good add on a 1 year deal. 1 year deal though. IIRC he can play inside as well.

I want to add a decent vet CB who can either compete inside or outside. We have enough talent at CB (I'm including Isaiah Johnson who really really flashed last year for a 1st year player) that we should be okay in the long term. Not giving up on Amik either.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think he'd be a good add on a 1 year deal. 1 year deal though. IIRC he can play inside as well.

I want to add a decent vet CB who can either compete inside or outside. We have enough talent at CB (I'm including Isaiah Johnson who really really flashed last year for a 1st year player) that we should be okay in the long term. Not giving up on Amik either.

I agree on the one year deal, though would prefer him (or another vet, not Sherman though...) on the outside.Move Annette to the nickle, to be backed up by Amik.

I’m hoping the thumb and Covid (both lack of off-season and actually contracting the virus) contributed to Arnette’s year. In college he was a physical CB with + tackling (yes, I’m well aware he was terrible in this department this past year) which would be a big benefit at the position.

3 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

I agree on the one year deal, though would prefer him (or another vet, not Sherman though...) on the outside.Move Annette to the nickle, to be backed up by Amik.

I’m hoping the thumb and Covid (both lack of off-season and actually contracting the virus) contributed to Arnette’s year. In college he was a physical CB with + tackling (yes, I’m well aware he was terrible in this department this past year) which would be a big benefit at the position.

Arnette has all the talent and HWS. He is fast (idk why some people disagree) and physical. He has some developing to do, but with a full offseason, some coaching, and health I don't see why he can't be a lot better in year 2.

I still prefer Sherman over the others. Sherman was a huge key into the 49ers defense turning around(obviously having the dogs up front helps) but he United that secondary. Mullen and Arnette need a guy like Sherman. Sherman is more valuable to the Raiders then any other team. You don’t even need him to play just need him to be around the two young guys to drop that knowledge on them and if give you anything on the field it’s a bonus. 

Sherman signing would not make a lot of people here happy, but his value to the Raiders is high for what he can do away from the field on Sundays

56 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I still prefer Sherman over the others. Sherman was a huge key into the 49ers defense turning around(obviously having the dogs up front helps) but he United that secondary. Mullen and Arnette need a guy like Sherman. Sherman is more valuable to the Raiders then any other team. You don’t even need him to play just need him to be around the two young guys to drop that knowledge on them and if give you anything on the field it’s a bonus. 

Sherman signing would not make a lot of people here happy, but his value to the Raiders is high for what he can do away from the field on Sundays

My thing with Sherman is that he is going to still want a LOT of money and Gruden is going to be happy to give it to him.  His decline in physical abilities have been pretty significant...  

Cheap deal sure, he’d be a phenomenal mentor. However, I get Darrell Revis vibes from him. He’s going to go to the highest bidder and I want none of it. 

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

I would want Sherman at FS where he can play the ball instead of sticking to a WR. he is great football mind, physical, an alpha. He might have lost a step at corner, but name a bad Sherman team. He would take our young Dbs under his wing

50 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

My thing with Sherman is that he is going to still want a LOT of money and Gruden is going to be happy to give it to him.  His decline in physical abilities have been pretty significant...  

Cheap deal sure, he’d be a phenomenal mentor. However, I get Darrell Revis vibes from him. He’s going to go to the highest bidder and I want none of it. 

Yeah I've read that he's going to want a 2 yr/$28M deal, that's a ton of money for a 33 year old CB that has missed 21 games over the last 4 years. I wouldn't say that his decline in physical ability has been significant though, he was an All-Pro in 2019 and hurt almost all of 2020. But I agree that signing him to a big deal is pretty risky business. 

The two free agents that we've been linked to the most are Sherman and Melvin Ingram. Two 32+ year old players that were hurt last season and who are both coming off of the worst years of their careers. 

17 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Who are your 10 building block LT’s over Miller? 

Yeah, I'm not getting the Miller hate. I thought Miller has been an exceptionally bright spot on the O-line. From last year's lineup, he's the one guy I can say I expect to be here 8-10 years from now.

21 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I would want Sherman at FS where he can play the ball instead of sticking to a WR. he is great football mind, physical, an alpha. He might have lost a step at corner, but name a bad Sherman team. He would take our young Dbs under his wing

Us bringing in guys and then asking them to switch positions hasn't worked out that well. Sherman has already said that he's not going to take a discount and will likely be seeking around 14M APY. If you give him a 2 yr/$28M deal to play FS he'd be the 4th highest paid safety in the league with zero experience at the position. 

I'm not a huge fan of potentially bringing him in but it has Gruden move written all over it. If we do sign him and pay him we'll probably play Sherman/Mullen outside and Arnette in the slot. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yeah, I'm not getting the Miller hate. I thought Miller has been an exceptionally bright spot on the O-line. From last year's lineup, he's the one guy I can say I expect to be here 8-10 years from now.

Miller is very good in pass protection but I think he struggled a little bit as a run blocker without Richie next to him at guard.