2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Us bringing in guys and then asking them to switch positions hasn't worked out that well. Sherman has already said that he's not going to take a discount and will likely be seeking around 14M APY. If you give him a 2 yr/$28M deal to play FS he'd be the 4th highest paid safety in the league with zero experience at the position. 

I'm not a huge fan of potentially bringing him in but it has Gruden move written all over it. If we do sign him and pay him we'll probably play Sherman/Mullen outside and Arnette in the slot. 

Nobody is paying Sherman that kind of money. He will be lucky to get a short term deal for higher than $5-6 million 

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Arnette has all the talent and HWS. He is fast (idk why some people disagree) and physical. He has some developing to do, but with a full offseason, some coaching, and health I don't see why he can't be a lot better in year 2.

He's about average from a H/W perspective but the issues with him are his length and speed. His 30" arms put him in the 7th percentile for CB's and his 4.56 forty time put him in the 24th percentile for CBs. I still have some hope for him though, didn't we primarily use him in off coverage last year? And isn't Bradley bringing in a scheme that relies more on zone concepts for the CBs? How does Arnette fit into his scheme? 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Miller is very good in pass protection but I think he struggled a little bit as a run blocker without Richie next to him at guard. 

Oh, the run game definitely struggled. In Miller's defense, the lack of consistency we had on the O-line was a recipe for a letdown in general. Absent an absolutely transcendent player, no one O-lineman is going to mask a lacking O-line. 

Miller-Incognito-Hudson-Jackson-Brown on paper should have been a top tier unit. Even with Good, still a solid unit. But the best ability is availability and Incognito and Brown both had little-to-none of it. 

Our run game was a mess no matter what. Injuries, inconsistency, questionable play calls and designs, Jacobs being hampered/limited....my main point is I just don't understand anyone slamming Miller at this juncture. 

1 minute ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Nobody is paying Sherman that kind of money. He will be lucky to get a short term deal for higher than $5-6 million 

Spotrac the site that lists all of the NFL contract info projected that he'll get a 2 yr/$20M deal and PFF projected that he'll get a 2 yr/$28M deal. He made $13M in 2019 and 2020 and has already said the reason he won't be back in SF is because he's not going to take a pay cut. 

38 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's about average from a H/W perspective but the issues with him are his length and speed. His 30" arms put him in the 7th percentile for CB's and his 4.56 forty time put him in the 24th percentile for CBs. I still have some hope for him though, didn't we primarily use him in off coverage last year? And isn't Bradley bringing in a scheme that relies more on zone concepts for the CBs? How does Arnette fit into his scheme? 

He obviously ran a faster 40 than that. The combine time was obviously off and there is video/report evidence of it. I rarely saw him beat deep and ran stride for stride with Hill and Ruggs this year. 

Bradley runs cover 3 with some press man concepts as well. Arnette definitely can fit in with that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 101Raider said:

I agree on the one year deal, though would prefer him (or another vet, not Sherman though...) on the outside.Move Annette to the nickle, to be backed up by Amik.

I’m hoping the thumb and Covid (both lack of off-season and actually contracting the virus) contributed to Arnette’s year. In college he was a physical CB with + tackling (yes, I’m well aware he was terrible in this department this past year) which would be a big benefit at the position.

I’m fine with arnette in the nickel if it’s his best spot. Wherever guys can make plays I’m all for it. 

12 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Bradley runs cover 3 with some press man concepts as well. Arnette definitely can fit in with that.

With Bradley blitzing less than any coordinator in the league it's going to be extremely important for us to improve our pass rush. Hard for even the best CB's in the league to stick in coverage when the QB has all day to throw. 

46 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Spotrac the site that lists all of the NFL contract info projected that he'll get a 2 yr/$20M deal and PFF projected that he'll get a 2 yr/$28M deal. He made $13M in 2019 and 2020 and has already said the reason he won't be back in SF is because he's not going to take a pay cut. 

I don’t care what Spotrac says. I’m extremely confident that he will not get paid $10+ million at 33 coming off an injury plagued year when the salary cap is going down and teams have to be judicious with their resources. 

Just now, jpaulthe1st said:

I don’t care what Spotrac says. I’m extremely confident that he will not get paid $10+ million at 33 coming off an injury plagued year when the salary cap is going down and teams have to be judicious with their resources. 

I think you'd be surprised. He was an All-Pro in 2019 and he himself said he's not taking a discounted contract. It's not a great free agency class for CB's and he is just one year removed from an All-Pro season. 

Darrelle Revis signed a 1 yr/$12M deal at a pretty similar stage in his career. There also actually quite a few teams that have cap space to work with. 

Raiders mouth piece Vinny predicts

John Johnson 4 year 51 Million 26 million guaranteed

Dalvin Tomlinson four-year, $50-million deal, with $25 million guaranteed

Melvin Ingram three-year, $25-million deal, with $16 million guaranteed

Mitchell Schwartz two-year, $16 million contract, with $11 million guaranteed

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Those would be awesome except Tomlinson seems like an overlay. Schwartz on a buy low if he doesn’t retire would be a steal.

15 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

That would be a decent haul although I'd probably pass on paying Tomlinson when we can draft a guy like Tyler Shelvin to play the exact same role in the 3rd round.