2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

So at 4:00 PM EST teams can start to negotiate/announce free agent deals but they can't be made official until March 17, right? 

12 PM EST tomorrow teams can talk to players and announce agreements.

March 17th is when those deals can become official. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Wasn’t expecting Lawson to get that type of money but I shouldn’t be surprised if that’s what he gets. Seems pretty simple that the Raiders better bring big boy money to the table if they want a pass rusher in FA 

Top tier pass rushers almost never hit the market and guys that do almost always get overpaid. We've seen it the last two years in free agency. 

Robert Quinn: 5 yr/$70M 

Jason Pierre-Paul: 2 yr/$27M

Mario Addison: 3 yr/$30M 

Dante Fowler: 3 yr/$48M

Trey Flowers: 5 yr/$90M

Preston Smith: 4 yr/$52M

Za'Darius Smith: 4 yr/$66M

Shaq Lawson: 3 yr/$30M

Kyle Van Noy: 4 yr/$51M 

Edited by NYRaider

16 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Joel Corry is a former agent and he's talking about the price he'd target as an agent. It doesn't necessarily mean the market will get there for Lawson but it shouldn't be too far off.

FWIW PFF's projected contract for him is 4 yr/$55m ($13.7 APY) and that sounds about right based on what other guys have gotten recently.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I wouldn't be surprised but the free agency market is full of veteran guards and tackles. 

I read somewhere that Cable is being sent around to check out prospects.  Looks like they might be going O-line heavy in the draft.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'd expect a lot of guys to have the same mindset with the uncertainty about the cap and the upcoming TV deal. Guys that hit the market next season are going to cash in if the salary cap gets back on track. 

I have been saying this for a while now.  Big FAs are going to get paid but those tier 2-5 guys are going to be getting less on short contracts.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I read somewhere that Cable is being sent around to check out prospects.  Looks like they might be going O-line heavy in the draft.

I'm sure that's common practice though, why wouldn't you send your position coaches to go watch the pro days? Especially with no NFL combine. 

Vic Tafur said we want to bring back 2/3 of Good, Incognito, and Jackson. 

We'll see what happens but RT at #17 would be iffy.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I have been saying this for a while now.  Big FAs are going to get paid but those tier 2-5 guys are going to be getting less on short contracts.

Which is why I'd prefer to go after guys like Dunbar, Reddick, and Boston in free agency. All guys just entering their prime that can earn big pay days if they play well next season. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I'm sure that's common practice though, why wouldn't you send your position coaches to go watch the pro days? Especially with no NFL combine. 

Vic Tafur said we want to bring back 2/3 of Good, Incognito, and Jackson. 

We'll see what happens but RT at #17 would be iffy.

Sending positional coaches is but Cable was the most senior person checking out prospects.  Cable is also Gruden's shadow.  

I just read we are expected to sign Anthony Harris.  Once again a signing that is questionable without addressing the pass rush.  I hope we are getting good value for him. 

He was one of the top rated safeties in 2019 when the Vikings D bought the heat and he fell off hard last season as the Vikings D/ pass rush took a major step back with the loss of Hunter, Griffen etc.  

Bottom line is if we do sign Harris we better have a plan to address the pass rush with signing/ drafting an impact 3T and also signing and edge rusher or else this signing of Harris and not getting pressure on the QB is pointless.  

It depends on the contract but I would rather go after Hooker on a 1 year prove it deal and use that excess money to address other areas of need such as DE and a 3T.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

25 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I just read we are expected to sign Anthony Harris.  Once again a signing that is questionable without addressing the pass rush.  I hope we are getting good value for him. 

He was one of the top rated safeties in 2019 when the Vikings D bought the heat and he fell off hard last season as the Vikings D/ pass rush took a major step back with the loss of Hunter, Griffen etc.  

Bottom line is if we do sign Harris we better have a plan to address the pass rush with signing/ drafting an impact 3T and also signing and edge rusher or else this signing of Harris and not getting pressure on the QB is pointless.  

It depends on the contract but I would rather go after Hooker on a 1 year prove it deal and use that excess money to address other areas of need such as DE and a 3T.

Where'd you see that at? Harris played well in 2019 and fell off in 2020. Tre Boston had his best year with Gus Bradley in LA, would prefer him on a cheap deal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Where'd you see that at? Harris played well in 2019 and fell off in 2020. Tre Boston had his best year with Gus Bradley in LA, would prefer him on a cheap deal. 

Harris is....uninspiring. Boston or any of thw Chargers FA S's would be preferable imo. Probably cheaper too.