2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

What I think it is is of a lot of raider fans don’t watch film. They see a need and then they see that maybe there’s a free agent that’s highly sought after that plays the same position and they think it’s an automatic fit.

Scheme fit is what actually matters. 

Scheme fit is the most important aspect of any player, draft or FA. What's why Rotating coaches (HC,DC,OC) is bad for the organization as a whole. That's what killed the Raiders for 20 years. Stable system can let players grow and improve with in the organization.

6 minutes ago, reddevil said:

While I agree he has not been playing single high in the system he has been in - is that not partly circumstantial i.e., the reason he isn’t a scheme fit is that he hasn’t been playing in a single high, not that he can’t?

No doubt that as a result of not having seen him play our system, there is no evidence or ‘tape’ if you want to call it that of him successfully playing single high then it is a projection or a risk. But if you think he has the physical skill set and the mental ability learn to play in a less familiar scheme (plus the character to offer leadership and culture to an area of the team full of young and inexperienced players) - might it be worth the risk if you feel he could offer elite play at the position? 

Sure you could argue that but that’s also why were in the situation that we’re in defensively. We get defensive players that are good but didn’t fit the system(Joyner and Littleton). The question you have to ask yourself is do you want to pay 15 mil to find out if he can play single high safety? And then if he doesn’t pan out people on here complain.

the reason why he is a highly touted FA is because he thrived in a scheme. Schemes matter because we don’t know if he would be as highly touted if he played in a different scheme. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Scheme fit is the most important aspect of any player, draft or FA. What's why Rotating coaches (HC,DC,OC) is bad for the organization as a whole. That's what killed the Raiders for 20 years. Stable system can let players grow and improve with in the organization.

This might be the truest & realist thing I’ve heard anyone say on this forum. 

8 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

If we can walk out of FA/ draft with signing these players I will be very happy.  I also hope we can trade Maroita for a 3rd as well.  I am basing the draft picks off of a TDN mock draft where these players were available when I selected

Here are the FA's I would target:

Juju WR 12 per for 4 years 

Carl Lawson DE 12 per for 4 years

Sheldon Rankins DT 8 per for 2 years

Jarrad Davis LB 4 per for 1 year

Solomon Thomas DT 1.5 for 1 year

Malik Hooker S 2 for 2 years

Tevin Coleman HB 1.5 for 1 year

Kyle Fuller OL 750K for 1 year

Draft:

1. Jaycee Horn CB

2. Davion Nixon DT

3A. Javonte Williams HB

3B. Andre Cisco S

4. Tyler Shelvin DT

There is a few things I absolutely love about this;

A grade draft from me, if we can come away with that, I'd be ecstatic!

Quadruple dipping at DT, I like all those guys and the roles they could potentially play, we could rotate heavily and always have fresh guys in there though I'd still bring back Hankins as the big run stuffer as I don't see that in the team and we'd get run on rather easily I feel. Nixon I really like as a rookie with a ton of potential. Shelvin too has lots to like.

Horn, Hooker and Cisco is really exciting to add to the defensive backfield. I just love Cisco as an unpolished diamond if we can ease him in and potentially mould him into a true ball hawking centre fielder. Hooker is pretty much everyone's favourite and with obvious reason high reward/low risk.

Lawson and Davis could have bright upsides too and Lawson could be a complimentary speed guy that is what we may be missing at DE. 

A couple things I'm not too keen on (sorry);

Not a huge JJS-S fan and I'd rather have Nelly for less if I'm honest. Maybe it's getting burned before but I'd go with what we know works and who had chemistry with Carr. 

Not sure if bringing Big Gabe back is realistic, if it's not that right side of the OL would keep me awake at night. Not sold on Good at RT as any more than a temporary fix but at OG I think he can be a decent to, dare I say, good starter.

I'd look to add a vet FS as a backup to Hooker if Cisco isn't ready to start - unless the plan is Heath can play FS. 

Abram is irritating as heck but I think he's going to play well in Bradley's Defence and I want to see him at SS in what seems to me like a tailor made role.

7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Mark Davis is too damn nostalgic.

I wanted to draft both the Long boys when they came out of college but it seems likely that ship has sailed now. Maybe if he'll come in and compete for a cap friendly deal that we can easily get out of...... Probably Gruden will guarantee him 7 million a year though for 3 years. 

6 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Didn't Ifedi play under Cable at Seattle?? Maybe started off at tackle......

You're right, he was drafted in 2016 when Cable was with Seattle. He played RG as a rookie, then RT. Could be an option.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I saw it on Twitter but didn't copy the link and maybe I misread it.  It may not have said expected to rather predicted too.  That's my bad.

Regardless I hope it was not true as Harris is 29 and I want to get young players, at good value, with upside potential, not guys who are at the end of their career, who's production fell off when his teams pass rush diminished...  Want to know why that is?  It's because we still have one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL and just like Joyner it will not end well with no pass rush.  #football 101

Harris did play with 2 rookies in the secondary. Still only gave up a 58% completion rate. That would be next level on this defense lol.

8 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We should release mariota ASAP and use the $ to sign a defensive player or right tackle.

What's the rush? They have 6th most cap space going in. Mariota has value, just a matter of timing when a team gets left out on QB (Chicago or Washington).

8 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

FFS lol.

Raiders just can't help themselves with this stuff can they. Maybe he rebounds, but he's not played a full schedule of games since 2015.

This is what makes this team so frustrating. Any "legacy" player they have to be involved and simply ignore injury history, etc. Then wonder why their Oline is struggling midseason. 

Just now, big_palooka said:

Raiders just can't help themselves with this stuff can they. Maybe he rebounds, but he's not played a full schedule of games since 2015.

This is what makes this team so frustrating. Any "legacy" player they have to be involved and simply ignore injury history, etc. Then wonder why their Oline is struggling midseason. 

The good news he is visiting KC next. He wont pass up an opportunity with KC unless they pass him up

There's no downside in signing someone for what will probably be the vet minimum to see if he can still play. If it's on an expensive deal, do complain. Anyway, it's not even to the point where we're signing him, just checking where he's at.

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Jacksonville because they weren’t paying him and he wasn’t the only player that had problems with Jacksonville. For example Jalen Ramsey had problems with Jacksonville and was traded to the Rams and is now a model citizen on their team. And none of us have problems with Jalen Ramsey

Only thought... it's easy to be a model citizen and teammate on a winning team. Players of this stature playing on bad teams like the Jags and Raiders is where things start to deteriorate after the honeymoon phase. 

4 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

There's no downside in signing someone for what will probably be the vet minimum to see if he can still play. If it's on an expensive deal, do complain. Anyway, it's not even to the point where we're signing him, just checking where he's at.

In theory you're right. The issue is Davis is an emotional buyer on players like this. They can play him against the Chiefs and he'll ignore any logic.