2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

@ronjon1990 the same things were said when we let Jared Cook walk in free agency and didn't really address the TE position outside of draft Moreau because we knew what we had in Waller. 

I was more than happy letting Cook walk. I never wanted him. He's the poster child for questionable effort. For every highlight reel catch he makes, there's 4 or 5 catches he absolutely bails on. There's a reason he's a career journeyman. 

In 2018, his last year, we had Cook, Butler, Carrier, Lee, and Waller. 

In 2019, we wound up adding Luke Willson and Eric Tomlinson and drafting Moreau. 

I don't recall many, if anyone, saying that we were ignoring the position. And if your argument is that we knew Waller, a converted WR coming off of a league suspension with a history of substance abuse issues, was going to be one of the top TEs in the league, you're either taking full advantage of hindsight or you're a savant and I now demand to know exactly what our 2021 record will be.

It was nothing but a crap shoot we were going to deal with under the pretense that we were going to have Williams and Brown as our top 2 WRs, had just signed Grant and JJ Nelson, and drafted Renfrow. Williams, Brown, Grant, Nelson, and Renfrow, on paper, looked like a premier unit with Williams being a top tier WR2, Brown being among the league's best, and both Nelson and Grant having legit WR2/3 resumes. We didn't address the TE spot heavily because we couldn't afford to, didn't think we needed to, and got extremely lucky that Waller worked out and Moreau came along as a nice #2. Pure dumb luck. 

• Like 1

Just now, Turnobili said:

dno about ET, those other 2 are good though. dont know how much Suh would cost, compared to making a play for a guy like Dalvin Tomlinson

Suh signed a 1 yr/$9.2M deal in 2019 and a 1 yr/$8M deal in 2020. Have to assume it'd be in that same range. While Tomlinson will likely be seeking a similar deal to what DJ Reader got last offseason (4 yr/$53M).