2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Suh signed a 1 yr/$9.2M deal in 2019 and a 1 yr/$8M deal in 2020. Have to assume it'd be in that same range. While Tomlinson will likely be seeking a similar deal to what DJ Reader got last offseason (4 yr/$53M).

ah. yeah then no to dalvin hah. i didnt know his market would be that high

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I was more than happy letting Cook walk. I never wanted him. He's the poster child for questionable effort. For every highlight reel catch he makes, there's 4 or 5 catches he absolutely bails on. There's a reason he's a career journeyman. 

In 2018, his last year, we had Cook, Butler, Carrier, Lee, and Waller. 

In 2019, we wound up adding Luke Willson and Eric Tomlinson and drafting Moreau.  

Cook was our leading receiver in 2018 with 900 yards. We signed Wilson who had 13 catches for 83 yards the previous season, brought back Derrick Carrier who had 7 catches for 86 yards the previous season, and drafted Foster Moreau in the 4th round who was used almost exclusively as a blocking TE in college and only had 22 catches for 272 yards during his senior season. 

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2019/08/06/raiders-preseason-battle-tight-end/

Just now, OnlyGlove said:

If we want to be sensible. You don't pay Tomlinson.  Good DT but is he a every down DT. 

Can you get a Malcom Brown for half the price, get the same level of run stopper and use the difference on a guard

I'm not against it but he's not at the same level. Tomlinson is incredibly consistent and has never missed a game.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Cook was our leading receiver in 2018 with 900 yards. We signed Wilson who had 13 catches for 83 yards the previous season, brought back Derrick Carrier who had 7 catches for 86 yards the previous season, and drafted Foster Moreau in the 4th round who was used almost exclusively as a blocking TE in college and only had 22 catches for 272 yards during his senior season. 

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2019/08/06/raiders-preseason-battle-tight-end/

Never said he wasn't our leading receiver. Raw box stats aren't debatable. 

What I said was I didn't care to keep him any more than he cared to be a Raider and give his maximum effort, and we traded having a solid TE for a big ? in return for potentially having one of the league's best WR corps. 

Williams and Brown >>>> any combination we could have had with Cook. Anyone would've let Cook go if that's what they thought they were getting, along with ridiculous depth in Grant and Nelson. 

You're making it sound like we let Cook walk because we knew "what we had" iin Waller, and that just isn't an accurate portrayal of history and our moves that season. 

Edited by ronjon1990

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If you're a free agent WR/RB we have to look like an attractive option. Nelly and Booker were both after thoughts in free agency last year and both got paid after playing for us.

Was thinking the same, definitely a good look. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Never said he wasn't our leading receiver. Raw box stats aren't debatable. 

What I said was I didn't care to keep him any more than he cared to be a Raider and give his maximum effort, and we traded having a solid TE for a big ? in return for potentially having one of the league's best WR corps. 

I'm saying that we let Cook walk even though he was our most productive pass catcher because we believed in what we had in Waller, despite the fact he had limited production and we signed him off of the Ravens practice squad.

This is from an article during our 2019 training camp

Look, strictly talking football, this guy has the skillset to tear up the league. 

There is a definite buzz around the Raiders, according to reports, that they believe he is going to do just that this season. 

Nelly had 48 catches for 900 yards last season. We just spent the 12th pick on Ruggs as the 1st WR off the board, we have to have some faith that he can step into a bigger role in year 2. 

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If you're a free agent WR/RB we have to look like an attractive option. Nelly and Booker were both after thoughts in free agency last year and both got paid after playing for us.

Problem is, how many Booker/Agholor types are out there? I see potential upgrades on them (mostly guys looking to cash in and don't need a career rehab) or old guys who aren't going to have much tread left. 

I'm definitely cool with upgrades, obviously, but I really don't see anyone comparable to those 2 in terms of rehab upside. I think expecting to find a WR/RB for the price we paid and their upside is a bit steep this year unfortunately.

• Like 1