2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I would've considered making a move for Hunter pre Yannick but I'd probably pass now. He's coming off of a serious neck injury and wants a new contract. It's a huge risk. 

Yeah.... for me it comes down to compensation and the new contract he wants.  I know he’s a talented young player but trading a 1st AND giving top 5 position money for a guy with a neck injury doesn’t seem like a move that will pay off.

Honestly.... I’m not big on trading a 1st for a player that we’d have to extend.... almost ever.  Right now would you trade Yannick (13m), #17 and a player we can sign for 7m for Hunter?  Not me!

And it’s a neck injury- they scare me!  What if he re-injuries it year 1 and is done.... and now you have to Take a 20+M cap hit?  Sure all players can get hurt at any time,,, heck even when off the field.... cut neck injuries Are a different monster.  They’re very easy to happen again- and worse.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah.... for me it comes down to compensation and the new contract he wants.  I know he’s a talented young player but trading a 1st AND giving top 5 position money for a guy with a neck injury doesn’t seem like a move that will pay off.

He's set to make $17M next season so I'm assuming he's looking for $20M+ if he gets a new deal.

2 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Bears really looking like the only trade partner for MM at this point, but they have this make belief thinking that they can get Russell Wilson 

Seattle could be a suitor if they trade Wilson but that seems unlikely. The Dolphins or the Jets could also be suitors if they're looking for a veteran insurance policy assuming neither one lands Watson.

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

exactly what I was thinking ^  probably be better off just cutting him. Bears prolly draft someone 

Yeah Ryan Pace has shown that he is willing to move up in the draft for a QB if he likes one of the guys at the top. I could see them moving up for a guy like Mac Jones or Justin Fields. The only problem with that is Pace/Nagy's jobs are on the line if they can't take the next step this year so putting their trust in a rookie QB is risky especially after they missed on Tribusky. I could see them trying to trade for Sam Darnold or Jimmy G (if the 49ers move up for a QB) or signing someone like Alex Smith.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's set to make $17M next season so I'm assuming he's looking for $20M+ if he gets a new deal.

Yeah I figured he’d want 20M or so... but hadn’t looked at his contract....

and after looking at his contract he only has salaries of 12.15m each of the next 3 years. 
I understand him wanting to be paid as a top DE.... but he is under contract for 3 more seasons.  You don’t really re-do deals until The last year.  And The Vikings extended him on his rookie deal with 1 year left- they paid him a whole year early.  I’d tell him to kick rocks just off that.... cuz is he giving back last years paychecks?    It’s a two way street... you can’t always have your hand out asking for more.

9 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

exactly what I was thinking ^  probably be better off just cutting him. Bears prolly draft someone 

If there isn't a trade market for him we should cut him sooner rather than later so we can free up some space to add some more guys on defense. 

12 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Bears really looking like the only trade partner for MM at this point, but they have this make belief thinking that they can get Russell Wilson 

It’s time to just cut Mariota and move on..... his contract’s incentives AND the surplus of good stop gap QBs makes him worthless via trade.  

If you trade for him He costs to your team 20m or whatever.   His 1 game... and let’s be honest about the game.... he ran the ball well and was decent as a passer but ultimately lost the game indirectly by throwing a inaccurate pass that was INT’d.... which is what he’s always had issues With.... From what I saw I wouldn’t want him back for anything more than 5M to be Carr’s backup.... I certainly wouldn’t pay him 20m and give up a 3rd or 4th pick for him.

If there was a chance a team would give up a 3rd for him I’d hold onto hope but I just don’t see him bring back anything but a 5th or a pick swap.  For that little compensation I’d just move on now and have the cap space on hand now to sign a player we like.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

It’s time to just cut Mariota and move on..... his contract’s incentives AND the surplus of good stop gap QBs makes him worthless via trade.  

If you trade for him He costs to your team 20m or whatever.   His 1 game... and let’s be honest about the game.... he ran the ball well and was decent as a passer but ultimately lost the game indirectly by throwing a inaccurate pass that was INT’d.... which is what he’s always had issues With.... From what I saw I wouldn’t want him back for anything more than 5M to be Carr’s backup.... I certainly wouldn’t pay him 20m and give up a 3rd or 4th pick for him.

If there was a chance a team would give up a 3rd for him I’d hold onto hope but I just don’t see him bring back anything but a 5th or a pick swap.  For that little compensation I’d just move on now and have the cap space on hand now to sign a player we like.

exactly we be lucky for a day 3 pick, more likely a pick swap. Free agent vets would make more of an impact with the cap space.