2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

51 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

If we’re serious about adding any real talent to this defense, we can’t be chucking $14m at Robinson.

I’d love to sign him, but doing so severely hampers our ability to build up the DL, which a Gus Bradley defense requires.

14 would be a steal for Robinson. I would cut other guys on offense to get him. I think he'll get at least 18 so it will be pretty rich. 

For those of you who think Trent Brown should be kept:

Trent with Patriots on January 25th, 2019

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/01/30/trent-browns-super-bowl-appearance-with-pats-part-performance-part-destiny/amp/

..... 37M paid out and 2yrs later:

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/platform/amp/2020/11/1/21545070/las-vegas-raiders-trent-brown-hospitalized-cleveland

if he was 380 in NE he had to be pushing past 415 with us in that photos.  No wonder he had injuries... I mean “injuries”.  

and you think your going to get the best version of TB in 2021 if you keep him?  Dude can’t even look down and see his privates his belly is so big!

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

14 would be a steal for Robinson. I would cut other guys on offense to get him. I think he'll get at least 18 so it will be pretty rich. 

Yeah if Robison can be had for so little money we should get him... restructure his contract so it has a low and affordable ‘21 cap hit with higher caps later on.

but it’s like zero chance he takes 14m apy

27 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

So.... Shaquil Barrett? Any chance Tampa doesn't/can't retain him? Do we break the bank for the guy or go after a few smaller FAs?

I’d break the bank for any impact dl. Barrett is really good. So is Ngakoue. Maybe judon. Leonard Williams too. Ingram would be a little cheaper and is still playing very well.

11 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

With the way some of these teams are in such a bad place cap wise we could see a lot of good vets enter FA after being cut or players who wouldn’t normally become available become available in FA just due to the team cap situation. 

Like Marcus Williams only reason he will hit FA is because the Saints cap and he is known for that play in Minny a couple years ago but he’s done a good job bouncing back from that and becoming one of the better FS in the league. 

Sheldon Rankins is another one from the Saints. Young and continues to improve every year. 

Think those are two names that have to be at the top of the list. 

Also a guy like F.Cox will most likely become available when he get released with a post June 1st cut which will save them a lot in cap space. 

Wonder if Philly would take a 4th or a 5th just to get him off the books and realize some return. 

Hondo Carpenter from SI is hearing Agholor back on a potential 2 year 15 million deal. Not finalized. If so, an absolutely FANTASTIC deal. Apparently the Raiders may be in on Shelby Harris as well. Harris is a PFF darling and bats down a lot of passes. He would be an excellent veteran add inside in addition to trying to grab a rookie. Less flashy than Leonard Williams, but he's a damn good player and can likely be had for a lot less.

If we can bring in someone like Harris and an edge rusher/safety, that would be a tremendous offseason (especially without shaking up the OL too much).

• Like 1

@jimkelly02the weight thing was noticeable this year, although I will say he's a big guy and idk how he exercised/ran with a bad calf injury. That being said, I'm not happy with Trent's conditioning and he has no dead cap after this year. If we can't land enough players and keep him, we can easily cut him after next year for 0 dead money, just in time for Kolton Miller's extension. So I see it as a prove it deal. He gets one more chance. That being said, if we cut him, I'm fine taking the money if we have a contingency plan (not a rookie).

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

So.... Shaquil Barrett? Any chance Tampa doesn't/can't retain him? Do we break the bank for the guy or go after a few smaller FAs?

If he becomes available, I'd break bank in a heartbeat. 

Other key positions can be addressed on draft day like DT, CB, OT, G, FS. 

I'm sure at least some of those can still be addressed via FA once we know how much space we'll have. He's a difference maker at a position sorely needed. 

I think I'm in the minority, but I don't want much in the way of splash moves on offense. Replace the parts needed, but leave the core intact. If we're going to spend big, go D and shoot for game changing impact. It's always fun to imagine this WR or that RB, but we're plenty serviceable on offense. We decidedly aren't on defense.

Our biggest needs on O are going to likely be OT and OG. Brown was a 7th rounder, Good was a 7th rounder, Jackson was a 3rd, Incognito was a 3rd. Not to say 7th rounders routinely pan out, but I think this class is fairly deep on both T and G. Going for them day 3 wouldn't bug me terribly, there's gonna be someone in FA fairly inexpensive, and I have to give Cable some kudos for often making something out of very little. It wasn't always pretty, but you get the picture. Other offensive pieces are basically depth unless we splurge on a different WR and let Agholor walk. 

On D, CB is a likely need, but DT and FS are necessities. 

In my mocks, I've had us going DT in rd 1, usually targeting Wilson, Barmore, and Tufele. Rd 2 I've consistently gone Andre Cisco, who seems to be something of a dream pick for some other posters. Rd 3, it's been a bit of a tossup between CB and BPA on the O-line depending on who remains. Rd 4, same. BPA 5-7. Hard right now to really guage since we don't know risers and fallers yet. Point being, EDGE rusher hasn't been on my draft radar as much, so using FA money on a Barrett type would be a possible added bonus that only furthers improvement without sacrificing a need elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Hondo Carpenter from SI is hearing Agholor back on a potential 2 year 15 million deal. Not finalized. If so, an absolutely FANTASTIC deal. Apparently the Raiders may be in on Shelby Harris as well. Harris is a PFF darling and bats down a lot of passes. He would be an excellent veteran add inside in addition to trying to grab a rookie. Less flashy than Leonard Williams, but he's a damn good player and can likely be had for a lot less.

If we can bring in someone like Harris and an edge rusher/safety, that would be a tremendous offseason (especially without shaking up the OL too much).

If we can resign NA for 2y, 15M that’d be a fantastic deal.  It’s pretty much what I feel completely comfortable paying him... which rarely happens.

I always liked Shelby Harris.... for a short DT he’s got a knack for batting balls down:  9 and 7 PD the last 2 Years.  I think he’s a solid 3rd DT who can even play LDE in heavy fronts.  I still Really want LWilliams is be becomes available.... I think he’ll be a 8-10 sack player at least for the next 4-5 years but more importantly he’ll give you 40-50 pressures.  I think a 3Tech like LW would allow guys like Ferrell and Crosby to really step up.  Add LW and a speed rusher DE and we’re set.  I’d also really like to resign Vic Beasley if he’s real cheap, like sub 1.5m cheap.... and see what he can do as a SAM in Bradley’s system.  That is of course if we can’t sign or draft someone better.

36 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

If we can resign NA for 2y, 15M that’d be a fantastic deal.  It’s pretty much what I feel completely comfortable paying him... which rarely happens.

I always liked Shelby Harris.... for a short DT he’s got a knack for batting balls down:  9 and 7 PD the last 2 Years.  I think he’s a solid 3rd DT who can even play LDE in heavy fronts.  I still Really want LWilliams is be becomes available.... I think he’ll be a 8-10 sack player at least for the next 4-5 years but more importantly he’ll give you 40-50 pressures.  I think a 3Tech like LW would allow guys like Ferrell and Crosby to really step up.  Add LW and a speed rusher DE and we’re set.  I’d also really like to resign Vic Beasley if he’s real cheap, like sub 1.5m cheap.... and see what he can do as a SAM in Bradley’s system.  That is of course if we can’t sign or draft someone better.

I don't care if we comically invest in the DL this year. If it means spending 2 high draft picks and a lot of cash, Im all for it.

2 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

I just can’t stomach paying someone  the 2nd highest RT salary league wide (14m) after he’s already received 37.5M over 2 years and only played 11 games at a high level and was totally average and absolute out of shape for another 5.  Taking Trent back for 1 more year feels like having your girlfriend cheat on you, admit It and show no remorse, and take her back because your afraid you can’t do better and can’t be alone for a little bit.

Why did NE let Trent walk? They didn’t even transition tag him after he okayed at a high level?  Because they’re smart and saw what would happen when he got paid.  We did quite well with Sam Young for basically 12 whole games.... and Sam Young is barely making rosters coming out of TC at this point in his career. 

There will be plenty of good and much cheaper options at RT for us in the off-season.  Heck, if you want you can take that 14M and sign Taylor Moton... who actually will play like a top RT2.  I don’t thing that’s too wise longterm Because Kolton Miller will soon need a massive extension.

Trent is 100% not going to give you 16 games..... 100% not going to give you over 12 Games.... and 100% not going to give you any of those at his 2018/2019 level of play.  It’s not POSSIBLE!  He’s not going to come into camp in great shape.... and a guy his size can’t carry even more excess weight then he normally does.  

The smart play is to sign a FA veteran for 1-2 years and draft his successor AND extend Miller early so you can pay him the 17-18M APY he’ll command but only have cap hits of 12-14M because you’ve put some of his extension into the last year of his rookie deal when you extend him.  so you can have Miller on his extension making costing 12-14M and a draft pick making under 2.5M For the next 4 years.  You’d round out the OL with Hudson having 1 year (2022) at 15M and a dead cap of 5m in ‘23 plus Simpson on a rookie deal and Jackson making just under 10m in ‘21 and a draft pick from ‘21 taking over for him in his second year.  We can’t have a winning roster when we’re spending nearly 50m on the OL.  You need to balance veterans and rookie deal contracts.

Starting point: 17.9 mil over the cap per Spotrac

Cuts: 61.6 MIL TOTAL SAVED - Trent(14 mil), Tyrell(11.6 mil), Joyner(8.7mil), Mariota(10.7), Nassib (3.7), Incognito(6.3), Richard(3.5), Heath(3.1)... If a few can be traded for 5-7th round picks, ship em.  

Restructure/Extensions: Carr - 5 year/150 mil, lower ‘21 base to 10 mil, 12 mil cap savings spread out over next 5 years for cap hits of about 32.5 mil in ‘22-‘26 seasons (if doing that correctly)... Gabe Jackson - 4 year/40 mil, lower ‘21 base to 2 mil, 7.6 mil cap savings spread out over next 4 years for cap hits of about 11.9 in ‘22-‘25 seasons.

Start of free agency cap space: 63.6 mil

WR Nelson Agholor - 2 year/15 mil (7.5 mil cap figure per year) as being reported could be done soon

OG Denzelle Good - 2 year/10 mil (5 mil cap figure per year)

FS Justin Simmons - 5 year/75 mil (‘21 12 mil cap figure, 16.25 mil in subsequent seasons)

DT Leonard Williams - 4 year/48 mil (12 mil cap figure per year)

RT Taylor Moton - 5 year/72.5 mil (‘21 12.5 mil cap figure, 15 mil in subsequent seasons)

LB Denzelle Perryman 3 year/18 mil (‘21 4 mil cap figure, 7 mil in subsequent seasons) 

Resign Vic Beasley and Tak McKinley to a vet minimum deals with incentives. 

Resign Raekwon McMillan to vet minimum deal. 

53 mil spent in free agency, 8.6 mil left for Draft class

Don’t know enough about the draft prospects as of yet, but going to say if the off-season played out like this, I would say biggest needs would be DT Round 1 to compete with Hurst for spot next to Leonard Williams, Edge rusher round 2 to compete with Crosby, Ferrell, Beasley and Key, backup QB round 3 that can be groomed, backup RB round 4 to replace Booker, rest of draft could be more Safety and corner depth. Besides that, year 2 and 3 improvements from previous 2 draft classes, improved defense from additions, draftees and coaching and we could be a legit contender.