2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

19 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Has anyone noticed that we havent signed any player more than 2 years?

Cap will shoot back up after this season. Players taking short deals and gambling on themselves to earn a bigger contract when more money is available soon.

Also means we can easily move on from the ones who don’t perform. It’s a good “rental” kind of environment.

1 minute ago, Nightmare said:

Cap will shoot back up after this season. Players taking short deals and gambling on themselves to earn a bigger contract when more money is available soon.

Also means we can easily move on from the ones who don’t perform. It’s a good “rental” kind of environment.

I'm always for short term prove it deals.  The ones that pan out get resigned for 2-3 years and the ones that don't can kick rocks.  I used D. Good as an example of this somewhere else on this forum.  Gruden and Mayock's goal this FA, from the looks of it to me, is to sign players between 25-28, on prove it deals, and then resign them for 2-4 years if they pan out.  Yannick of course is the one exception.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I'm always for short term prove it deals.  The ones that pan out get resigned for 2-3 years and the ones that don't can kick rocks.  I used D. Good as an example of this somewhere else on this forum.  Gruden and Mayock's goal this FA, from the looks of it to me, is to sign players between 25-28, on prove it deals, and then resign them for 2-4 years if they pan out.  Yannick of course is the one exception.

Even he kind of fits that mold. He'll only be 28 when his contract is up. He's produced enough to earn enough confidence for his "prove it" deal to be 2 years. If he produces at the level he's regularly played at, or even improves it's entirely possible he gets another 3 or 4 year deal with us for big money. 

He still fits the bill of a guy in his prime years age wise, that has some questions around him (just not so much on the productivity side) and we signed him to a deal that doesn't lock him in long term. He's here for 2 years, and then we will see. If he improves any, he will likely be back for longer. For his age and level of play what we signed him is just a larger version of the other deals we have signed. Young guys that theoretically have their best football in front of them that we aren't locked into for the long haul. 

It's the right way to approach free agency in general IMO. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

Even he kind of fits that mold. He'll only be 28 when his contract is up. He's produced enough to earn enough confidence for his "prove it" deal to be 2 years. If he produces at the level he's regularly played at, or even improves it's entirely possible he gets another 3 or 4 year deal with us for big money. 

He still fits the bill of a guy in his prime years age wise, that has some questions around him (just not so much on the productivity side) and we signed him to a deal that doesn't lock him in long term. He's here for 2 years, and then we will see. If he improves any, he will likely be back for longer. For his age and level of play what we signed him is just a larger version of the other deals we have signed. Young guys that theoretically have their best football in front of them that we aren't locked into for the long haul. 

It's the right way to approach free agency in general IMO. 

Absolutely.  A lot of people used to trash us for taking "past their prime" FAs.  We don't do that anymore.  I've noticed a lot of our additions these last two off-seasons were players between the ages of 24-28.  Agholor, Booker, Good, Kwit, and Littleton last year, and then you look at this offseason and every player is between 25-29 other than J. Brown (31).  I really like how we've been approaching FA.  I think we are building long term success the right way.

• Like 1

Agreed! Richard would seem redundant with Drake now, and not worth $3.5 for a 3rd string RB.. Cut him and Nassib, that’s $7 mil right there for a corner or safety and Mariota’s 10.7 mil gets you the other and then some. Draft for the oLine and BPA’s on D..  and I’d say B+ off-season.