2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

52 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I still feel like we need a big bodied WR in the RZ, a CB and a FS.  Hopefully we have the cap space to make these moves happen.  I would like to see us go after Juju, A. Jackson and Hooker if the price is right.

Not against that at all but would like to see a edwards get more PT this year

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Kyle Fuller, former All-Pro CB and only 29, please Grudock. 

Wouldn't mind Fuller. But he's on his last year of his 2 year deal. 9 Mil salary is worth it, but losing a draft pick for player we'd lose next year isn't. \

Edit: Looks like he's being cut, no?

3 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Wouldn't mind Fuller. But he's on his last year of his 2 year deal. 9 Mil salary is worth it, but losing a draft pick for player we'd lose next year isn't. \

Edit: Looks like he's being cut, no?

I’m seeing cut too. But also thought gabe and rod got cut so who knows... regardless I’d love to add him. 

Edited by FreshPrince

Just now, NYRaider said:

Yeah the salary cap isn't real, teams can just restructure deals and create space. One thing about it though, aren't most deals that are restructured done so using signing bonuses? And isn't Davis one of the brokest owners in the league? 

I mean....that's a very relative issue. I think "broke" evokes an idea amongst fans as to what "broke owner" means. Cash poor, maybe? Idk.

Either way, I don't think it's enough of a factor. When we release Mariota, there's a big chunk of change. And other moves we made or could have made. 

What's so perplexing about it to me is that we clearly had money to move around coming into the week, with room to cut fat and save even more. Instead, we still have some of the worst contracts in the league while we've purged "expensive" but at least actually productive players. 

Now we're asking Mariota to take like a 70% pay cut? That's not gonna sit well with players, not after the shady shenanigans we've been (reportedly) up to. Whoever thought it was a good idea to allow the narrative to become "the Raiders are holding guys hostage for pay cuts" is a fool. 

We could've just cut him and tried to resign him. It's clear we don't want a motivated Mariota on the team. We wanted to trade him and now want a laughable paycut to be accepted. There were better ways of getting the same results we're going to get. 

Even if someone is a fan of particular moves (Yannick, Drake, Brown all seem like good pickups), I don't see how anyone can say the Raiders appear good at doing business as a whole. We had some money and options for more, but went about it in some of the sloppiest ways I've seen instead of some of the most obvious ones. Just totally unnecessary.

1 minute ago, agarcia34 said:

KC paying Long $1.45 mil guaranteed. I like the Raiders decision to move on

Looks like KC doesn't much believe he's that great either. Money talks, when 70% of your contract is incentivized, they can cut him lose easy if he isn't performing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Without watching and analyzing the games myself, I can't take your word for it. I know Heath is very athletic and has played a lot of games in the NFL. Often times what I find after watching the film myself is that players are more than their reputation. I have always gotten the impression that Heath is a better player than Cowboys fans said, and I thought he played pretty well last year all things considered.

Plus, Guenther was known for starting bad players and benching good ones.

Heath is versatile and I never said he can not play single high but would not be an ideal choice to do so.  He is probably better at SS and I would give him a chance to beat out Abrahm.  I would definitely look to upgrade FS and like I said I would not mind Heath as a backup.  He is a backup quality FS and a borderline starter at SS.  I like him as a 3rd S since he can back up both.

2 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Looks like KC doesn't much believe he's that great either. Money talks, when 70% of your contract is incentivized, they can cut him lose easy if he isn't performing. 

Wouldn't be surprised if our contract for Thomas is similar.