2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

Rick Wagner RT might be a good stop gap RT which wouldn’t preclude us getting a tackle in the draft. 

Aj Bouye CB still hasn’t been picked up so wouldn’t be surprised if we take him. 

Hooker looks the best fit for FS for Bradley’s scheme. 

If we release MM maybe we go with Peterman as backup and maybe get a mid late round Qb in the draft. 

14 minutes ago, reddevil said:

You have to imagine that if Bradley wanted him, he would’ve pounded the table for him early. The fact that he didn’t at that price - I think tells you something 

This. And it also makes me feel very comfortable knowing guys like King and our fs/cb debacle are signing for 4 mio. We should be able to get 2 decent starters at db for 8-10 mio combined

I would be desperate trying to get Fuller in the building.

Obviously depends on price, but in the current climate, being a couple days into free agency, the lack of teams with significant cap space, and his age, and not playing up to the elite level he had previously last season leads me to believe he likely wont command HUGE money.

I wouldn't be shocked if he prefers the 1 year prove it route a lot of free agents are angling for this off season. I could see him taking a one or two year deal from anywhere from 6-9 million a year. 

And if I could sign him for that average per year on a one or two year deal max (preferably without a ton of it being guaranteed next year) I would sign him for that all day. He's still only 29, he's played at a pro bowl level for a decent stretch, he forces turnovers and deflects passes, and even last year in a down year he only gave up a 55% completion rate. Sure he's played on a better defense, but I would feel significantly better about our secondary with a guy like Fuller as our #1, pushing Mullen to a #2 that could become a high end #2 and let Arnette play the slot and on the outside at times too when Fuller could go to the slot.

I obviously think FS is a bigger overall need, but I don't think any of the safeties are as good an overall player as Fuller. Which means we could be better off with Fuller and a young safety than a worse overall veteran safety and relying on the corners we have. 

I ultimately don't think it will happen because the staff seems to like the youth movement in the secondary, and I am mixed on that line of thinking. And I honestly don't know how good of a fit Fuller is in Bradley's system but I always hope a coach can find a way to play to good players strengths.

I'd cut Richard, Nassib, and take anything for MM or cut him already and use that money to sign Fulller and either Hooker or Boston at S, and call the major free agency moves prior to the draft done. I think the DL has a chance to be pretty solid with Yannick, Thomas, Jefferson added to the guys already in the mix, particularly if we can add a DT and an edge in the first 2-4 rounds that can play in a rotation. And I may be in the minority but I feel like the LB core will be ok because I believe Littelton will thrive under Bradley and Kwit will be good enough (still love the idea of adding Parsons though), but I worry those units even if they are improved over last year still won't translate to much better defense because the secondary right now has a lot of potential to end up a total mess.

Our DL could be improved just with better depth and a very good pure pass rusher in Ngakoue, our LBs could see big improvements if Littelton returns to Rams form, but none of that will matter if Mullen doesn't take the next step, Abram and/or Arnette shows some of what made them a high pick, or Johnson or Robertson become huge surprises/we draft a FS and/or CB early that plays above 90% of rookie level. And at least with the DL we can say we expect improvement because we brought in a proven high end pass rusher and some good depth, and the LBs could improve in a better system and because Littleton has shown to have played at a pro bowl level. Those are tangible reasons to bank on the approach we are taking, we have seen Yannick and Littelton play at a high level in the NFL. Were banking on a secondary that doesn't have a single guy you can truly say that about. That's worrisome. 

Seems like currently we are basing our secondary play on simple draft pedigree and an approach of throwing as many wild cards and question marks in the secondary together and praying a couple of guys reward us. And Mullen is the only one I have real confidence deserves to be a starter this season in the entire backend. 

Edited by Mr Raider

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The Bears are shopping Kyle Fuller and Akiem Hicks. 

I'd definitely ask the question about Hicks. We saw for ourselves how much difference he made to the Bears D when we spanked then in London. He's a bit older (though not old) and he's had a few injuries but at DT he could be a fulcrum for a few years whilst our (hopefully) rookie DTs season. Great players are always worth looking into.

5 hours ago, Dessie said:

Rick Wagner RT might be a good stop gap RT which wouldn’t preclude us getting a tackle in the draft. 

Aj Bouye CB still hasn’t been picked up so wouldn’t be surprised if we take him. 

Hooker looks the best fit for FS for Bradley’s scheme. 

If we release MM maybe we go with Peterman as backup and maybe get a mid late round Qb in the draft. 

It's time for Peterman to be the backup if we going to continue to keep bringing him back. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

Just how I see it in my head looking at the young, high upside, low risk signings on the interior of the DL that were signed to prove it deals. Seems like the type of moves you make to insure you have a reasonable rotation should the board not fall your way and/or allow a deeper rotation that lets the rookie play to their strength and develop for a year without having to be THE guy at DT right off the bat. Especially because that position is one of the harder transitions in the NFL IMO and even the best can take a year or two to become high impact players.

That's my reading of the tea leaves and also how I would probably attempt to play it coming into the off season and currently after seeing the signings we have made. I think approaching it that way gives you your best mix between good enough play on the interior of the DL (hopefully witth even more improvement with a very very good pass rusher in Ngakoue) next season when the expectations will be playoffs, and long term outlook where we really need a pro bowl caliber player on the interior because that is such a huge boost to making a defense good

This is exactly how I see it. Sign a 1 or 2 year veteran who can start whilst drafting a high upside interior pass rusher (Nixon, Barmore and Levi O are my favourites right now) who don't have to get thrown in but can be brought along and have their rough edges smoothed out. They get a little experience, the veteran gets to try and make himself a hot commodity for impending FA and hopefully the team gets improved DT play.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

QB league so I would have declined that trade as well. The drop off from Russell to Dalton is dramatic and while Mack is a great player he doesn't effect the game at a level that you would trade a franchise QB for. 

Supposedly it was Mack and 3 1sts (and some other unknown player).

Clear a crap ton of cap space for next year and draft your new fresh QB with all that capital.  I do that in a heartbeat.