2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

44 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Is anyone currently feeling good about this roster? Even adding a vet CB/FS, I can't see how this roster can compete with KC in the division or makes the playoffs. Wasn't 2021 suppose to be playoffs or bust?  

The moves feel erratic and roster feels worse than it was a year ago. The Oline feels unstable. There isn't a guy on it who is a stud. Kolton is solid. Add Yannick was a nice, but there are question marks at every other spot. 

This roster feels built more for the future and 2021 being a "prove it" year for a lot of young players and draft picks.

Really don't see any encouraging signs for this coming season. 

Pretty down to earth thoughts, it's easy to get a little carried away with FA signings and put the rose-coloured glasses on. IMO I'd say:

WR, TE positions should improve by virtue of Brown and the natural expected progression of Ruggs, Edwards and Moreau.

OL last year was in flux and we've lost Hudson and Gabe but we get back hopefully Incognito who was our best run blocker. Miller should be same or better and Good should be similar to Jackson. Young was RT who will be easy to upgrade so OC is the only real downgrade.

DL can't be worse really and Ferrell I'm a fan of, think he will be good, Ngakoue adds a speed element were desperately missing and Crosby if fit should be better. Any if our interior guys will be better than Collins and it's likely that at least one plays decently so I'd expect a decent improvement here.

LB I think Bradley makes a difference here and they play in their best positions and are better overall.

DB all our young guys I would expect to improve a little and show more hand in hand with he pass rush. FS will be a crucial position and as of right now is questionable. I do expect us to add a FA and a rookie and I expect we will be stronger at safety this year than last.

Therefore, I think although there has been no big changes really apart from Ngakoue, we have IMHO made a number of small incremental changes and they will add up to a better overall team providing the OL can play somewhere near last year - which we were very patched up so is not out of the realms of possibility at all.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Is anyone currently feeling good about this roster? Even adding a vet CB/FS, I can't see how this roster can compete with KC in the division or makes the playoffs. Wasn't 2021 suppose to be playoffs or bust?  

The moves feel erratic and roster feels worse than it was a year ago. The Oline feels unstable. There isn't a guy on it who is a stud. Kolton is solid. Add Yannick was a nice, but there are question marks at every other spot. 

This roster feels built more for the future and 2021 being a "prove it" year for a lot of young players and draft picks.

Assuming we add a good fs & cb in fa imo our defense has a good shot to be improved based on the players we kept and added.

Then add a new DC and by the looks of things also looks like they only pick guys that fit the scheme.

All in all i would be surprised if our defense wont be improved.

On O our oline will regress, but i expect more from our receivers and rb's. All in all i expect the same from the O.

Now if we just could have a Mack-Carr-Jackson draft for once ..... 

• Like 1

Here is my biggest issues with our FA signings:

1. We have decimated our Oline and we have not signed a WR who is a high volume, big bodied, physical RZ threat.  That is a major problem.  Our current WR corp is designed to stretch the field with Ruggs and Brown, we have Waller who is our high volume target but we need another proven high volume, physical threat.  Juju at 9 would have been a viable option but that never happened.  Trying to stretch the field with a porous Oline is a recipe for disaster.  I am hoping Edwards steps up but that is asking for a massive step forward from an unproven player.

If the front office is going to dismantle the Oline we need to put the pieces in place for Carr to get the ball out quickly and that involves the above mentioned WR.  I am talking about a reliable target who can go over the middle and win similar to Waller.  A porous Oline while allowing plays to develop downfield with small, speed WR's doesn't really make sense to me unless the FO is very confidant Edwards will be good for at least 75 receptions this year.  

2. Interior pass rush or lack thereof.  I agree there wasn't a sure fire stud 3T available and we signed Thomas who has upside potential so I like that move but he is a boom or bust player.  Jefferson is average but poses good value as a depth piece.  We are still lacking an interior force and that is a problem.  

3.  Cornerbacks....  We still lack a true #1 and have done nothing to address this.  I would love to get A. Jackson in the mix and a signing like that would put our CB's in their proper spots.  1. Jackson, 2. Mullin, 3. Arnette.  As it stands our CB's are below average and that is a problem.  

Our LB's are average at best and our current safety situation is embarrassing.  Signing Hooker would help here but is still a weak spot.

Overall I don't really see a plan from Gruden or Mayock.  Our O has taken a step back although I do like Brown and Drake but more needs to be done.  In terms of talent our D is still bottom 5 in the league and I don't think that is debatable.  I don't see quality players beating the door to come and play here and I dont blame them.  Gruden is a blowhard with no vision or direction.  YN was a good signing but he is on his 4th team in 2 years for a reason, let's not forget that.  

As it currently stands going into the draft this is a 4 to 6 win team for the reasons mentioned above.  

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

1. We have decimated our Oline and we have not signed a WR who is a high volume, big bodied, physical RZ threat.  That is a major problem.  Our current WR corp is designed to stretch the field with Ruggs and Brown, we have Waller who is our high volume target but we need another proven high volume, physical threat.  Juju at 9 would have been a viable option but that never happened.  Trying to stretch the field with a porous Oline is a recipe for disaster.  I am hoping Edwards steps up but that is asking for a massive step forward from an unproven player.

You keep referencing JuJu as a red zone threat but he only had 6 TD's in the red zone over the past two seasons combined. For comparison (red zone TD the last 2 seasons): 

Foster Moreau: 6 

John Brown: 3 

Darren Waller: 9 

Hunter Renfrow: 4

Not to mention adding Drake gives us a different dynamic with a change of pace back who has scored 16 TD's in the red zone over the last two seasons. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah.... if it’s a close call.... and your looking at getting a 3/4th rounder it helps steer the choice one way..:.. but when it’s low level picks and solid starters you picking from you pick the better player and fit.

Not sure what we're talking about. I'm talking about the current FAs.

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You keep referencing JuJu as a red zone threat but he only had 6 TD's in the red zone over the past two seasons combined. For comparison (red zone TD the last 2 seasons): 

Not to mention adding Drake gives us a different dynamic with a change of pace back who has scored 16 TD's in the red zone over the last two seasons. 

You're about as dense as they come.  Parroting the same trash over and over like anyone really cares. You must have spammed this board with NA was going to resign for 7 million at least 100 times.  Straight nonsense. 

You clearly can't grasp what I am saying when I am referring to a big bodied, physical WR who can be a RZ threat.  You just keep spewing out RZ TD's over the last two years while not seeing the big picture.  If you think Hunter Renfrow poses a similar threat/ skillset in the RZ as a player like Juju you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.  

33 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

If the front office is going to dismantle the Oline we need to put the pieces in place for Carr to get the ball out quickly and that involves the above mentioned WR.  I am talking about a reliable target who can go over the middle and win similar to Waller.  A porous Oline while allowing plays to develop downfield with small, speed WR's doesn't really make sense to me unless the FO is very confidant Edwards will be good for at least 75 receptions this year.  

2. Interior pass rush or lack thereof.  I agree there wasn't a sure fire stud 3T available and we signed Thomas who has upside potential so I like that move but he is a boom or bust player.  Jefferson is average but poses good value as a depth piece.  We are still lacking an interior force and that is a problem.  

3.  Cornerbacks....  We still lack a true #1 and have done nothing to address this.  I would love to get A. Jackson in the mix and a signing like that would put our CB's in their proper spots.  1. Jackson, 2. Mullin, 3. Arnette.  As it stands our CB's are below average and that is a problem.  

Our LB's are average at best and our current safety situation is embarrassing.  Signing Hooker would help here but is still a weak spot.

Overall I don't really see a plan from Gruden or Mayock.  Our O has taken a step back although I do like Brown and Drake but more needs to be done.  In terms of talent our D is still bottom 5 in the league and I don't think that is debatable.  I don't see quality players beating the door to come and play here and I dont blame them.  Gruden is a blowhard with no vision or direction.  YN was a good signing but he is on his 4th team in 2 years for a reason, let's not forget that.  

As it currently stands going into the draft this is a 4 to 6 win team for the reasons mentioned above.  

1. I agree but I also want to see what Edwards does this year.

2. I think we can all agree that while we don’t have an established starting 3T we’re heading shoulders more talented than we were last year at the position

3. corner I agree but at the same time I want to see what the corners that we already have do with a better pass rush. I personally know how hard it is to cover with no pass rush. 

Definitely agree about the safety part. That needs to be taken care of or were screwed(especially in this system)

not sure about the taking a step back offensively and being bottom 5 defensively. 

and we haven’t lost enough players to say were a 4-6 win team next year

35 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You have a point here lol

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Lol! Tell us something we didn't know.

38 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

1. I agree but I also want to see what Edwards does this year.

2. I think we can all agree that while we don’t have an established starting 3T we’re heading shoulders more talented than we were last year at the position

3. corner I agree but at the same time I want to see what the corners that we already have do with a better pass rush. I personally know how hard it is to cover with no pass rush. 

Definitely agree about the safety part. That needs to be taken care of or were screwed(especially in this system)

not sure about the taking a step back offensively and being bottom 5 defensively. 

and we haven’t lost enough players to say were a 4-6 win team next year

Explain to me how we have not taken a step back on O? 

We have holes along the Oline and best case scenario Brown matches NA's stats from last year.  Are you claiming the addition of Drake offsets the loss of Hudson, Jackson and Brown?

What else have we done to not take a step back?

2 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

We have holes along the Oline and best case scenario Brown matches NA's stats from last year.  Are you claiming the addition of Drake offsets the loss of Hudson, Jackson and Brown?

Trent Brown played 5 games... Not re-signing Sam Young would be a bigger issue right now.

5 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Brown didn’t play and Jackson was clearly regressing(everyone knew The Raiders we’re going to move on from them so that’s no news)

The Hudson loss is tough(he can’t really be replaced). But I do think whoever ends up starting at center next year whether it’s Andre James or Nick Martin will be a solid starter (based on the fact that Nick Martin was a solid starter on the Texans and if Andre James beats him out that would mean that he is a better player than someone who started multiple years in this league)

Statistically speaking there’s a chance that brown if not injured will be better than Nelson Agholor.

And while I don’t like the Drake acquisition I understand it because it actually keeps Josh Jacobs fresh which has been a key raider problem at the second half of the last two seasons. our running game starts breaking down because of the injuries. So I do think it’s key to have a high-quality back up

So overall do I think the offense has regressed? Not exactly but to be sure that we have to make sure that we get a right tackle(remember Sam Young played the whole season you had had no business doing so last year)

• Like 1