2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

No doubt we can't tell if Williams will keep this level of play or not. Just like we couldn't tell he would play so much better this season. So what would have been the reaction if we had traded for him and had to spend franchise tag money on him when he hadn't break out yet?

Are we going back to a 4-3 under?  Can Ferrell play the 5T, he has the length, and Crosby would be the Leo.  Kwiat as MLB Littleton as WLB but big hole at SLB.  I am not trusting Morrow to set the edge as the SLB.  Since the SLB plays more like a 3-4 OLB would you be willing to spend big here.  Would Shaq Barrett be a good candidate for this spot.  I understand the price but maybe a similar type of player.

Edited by drfrey13

6 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I think the backup NT is were both of us where sounding the alarm bell last offseason.  Thankfully Hankins stayed healthy.  We do not need a good backup NT but some one that hold a double team just in case.  Imagine how many yards we woud have given up on the ground if Hankins had gone down with injury or covid.

Absolutely.... it was so obvious we needed one.... and only you I and very select few agreed.  Heck, I was called an alarmist by many people here. but when you only have Hankins at NT and you know Collins is trash Versus the run and Hurst isn’t a run stiffer either and Daniel Ross is your only other player: your gonna be in trouble!
 I can’t believe Mayock didn’t believe so.... and given the fact you can find really good run stuffers in the 5th and 6th round and have them for 4 years at such a low price idk why we don’t draft one. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Are we going back to a 4-3 under?  Can Ferrell play the 5T, he has the length, and Crosby would be the Leo.  Kwiat as MLB Littleton as WLB but big hole at SLB.  I am not trusting Morrow to set the edge as the SLB.  

I believe we are going 4-3 Under.  I concur Ferrell could be a solid 5T and Crosby isn’t the ideal LEO due to the lack of elite speed but I think he can still do really well there... it’s just a different type of player then normal playing the role.  He might lack elite speed but he has crazy length and streching him out to 7 or 9 tech could help Him.

I really want to resign Morrow cuz I feel he stepped up big this year and there is a nastalgia value with him, he was a UDFA Long shot who became a solid starter IMO but he can’t play SAM At all.  He’d have to come bAck as an often used backup.  It’s doubtful that’ll happen if he gets any other offers.

11 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

No doubt we can't tell if Williams will keep this level of play or not. Just like we couldn't tell he would play so much better this season. So what would have been the reaction if we had traded for him and had to spend franchise tag money on him when he hadn't break out yet?

We’d all cry like the big babies we are! Duh!

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

I believe we are going 4-3 Under.  I concur Ferrell could be a solid 5T and Crosby isn’t the ideal LEO due to the lack of elite speed but I think he can still do really well there... it’s just a different type of player then normal playing the role.  He might lack elite speed but he has crazy length and streching him out to 7 or 9 tech could help Him.

I really want to resign Morrow cuz I feel he stepped up big this year and there is a nastalgia value with him, he was a UDFA Long shot who became a solid starter IMO but he can’t play SAM At all.  He’d have to come bAck as an often used backup.  It’s doubtful that’ll happen if he gets any other offers.

I just edited the last post to to address the SLB issue.  I was thinking a player similar to if not spending the money Shaq Barrett.  From what I understand the SLB in a 4-3 under is the same as a OLB in a 3-4.

Bud Dupree would be my target but coming off an ACL injury would mean his first year would not help much but also we could get him at a discount.  The edge from ND could be a good target in the first also to play this role.

Edited by drfrey13

22 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I just edited the last post to to address the SLB issue.  I was thinking a player similar to if not spending the money Shaq Barrett.  From what I understand the SLB in a 4-3 under is the same as a OLB in a 3-4.

Again we agree! I’ve said for the longest time we need a lengthy SAM who can rush the passer.... albeit this was dates back to TC and I threw out names to Draft such as Hamilcar Rashed to draft in round 3.  At the time I didn’t think Barrett would be a realistic option and was thinking more about using the draft to fill the need.

Idk about SB... all depends what he costs... it’s hard to nail down his projected cost.

so besides the obvious massive need for a 3T and FS, we have secondary needs of SAM AND DPR/speed rusher DE for 3rd down.  Our pass rush sucks because we get no inside pressure and have no one who can win quickly to the outside of a LT. If we can add a speedy 3rd down DE and 3T it could massively change the DL.  

Sooo.... yes I’ve said for over a year we should get a lengthy, speedy SAM who can blitz occasionally on 2nd down and move inside to rush on 3rd down.  If we can fill both needs with 1 player it would allow us to spend more money in FA or spend a higher draft pick on.

39 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Absolutely.... it was so obvious we needed one.... and only you I and very select few agreed.  Heck, I was called an alarmist by many people here. but when you only have Hankins at NT and you know Collins is trash Versus the run and Hurst isn’t a run stiffer either and Daniel Ross is your only other player: your gonna be in trouble!
 I can’t believe Mayock didn’t believe so.... and given the fact you can find really good run stuffers in the 5th and 6th round and have them for 4 years at such a low price idk why we don’t draft one. 

I remember you called it... once we realized PJ Hall wasn’t going to work out, should have snatched a NT.... there were decent enough NTs on other teams practice squads but MM didn’t feel there was a need....

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Again we agree! I’ve said for the longest time we need a lengthy SAM who can rush the passer.... albeit this was dates back to TC and I threw out names to Draft such as Hamilcar Rashed to draft in round 3.  At the time I didn’t think Barrett would be a realistic option and was thinking more about using the draft to fill the need.

Idk about SB... all depends what he costs... it’s hard to nail down his projected cost.

so besides the obvious massive need for a 3T and FS, we have secondary needs of SAM AND DPR/speed rusher DE for 3rd down.  Our pass rush sucks because we get no inside pressure and have no one who can win quickly to the outside of a LT. If we can add a speedy 3rd down DE and 3T it could massively change the DL.  

Sooo.... yes I’ve said for over a year we should get a lengthy, speedy SAM who can blitz occasionally on 2nd down and move inside to rush on 3rd down.  If we can fill both needs with 1 player it would allow us to spend more money in FA or spend a higher draft pick on.

4 glaring needs in my eyes 

UT-

stud DE

FS

SLB - with pass rush ability.... 

41 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Morrow is solid but the same player as Littleton. Littleton is a better version of Morrow, and had to play out of position because they both are undersized, speed WLB.... only way Morrow can make it back is if Littleton or Morrow shift to MLB and Kwit would shift to SLB... I don’t see that happening, but Morrow showed he can start as a WLB. I think a team shows him starting WLB money....gone

Edited by Humble_Beast

27 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Bud Dupree would be my target but coming off an ACL injury would mean his first year would not help much but also we could get him at a discount.  The edge from ND could be a good target in the first also to play this role.

Are you talking about Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, the 6’2 216 “OLB” or Adetokunbo Ogundeji, DE.

JOK is way to small IMO to be consistently used as a rusher.  You use him on surprise blitzes and he can have success there.  

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I remember you called it... once we realized PJ Hall wasn’t going to work out, should have snatched a NT.... there were decent enough NTs on other teams practice squads but MM didn’t feel there was a need....

Yes...  the PJ Hall release was the breaking point for when I was ranting a raving like a crazy person.... and you were leading the charge to go out and find a replacement with me.

3 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Morrow is solid but the same player as Littleton. Littleton is a better version of Morrow, and had to play out of position because they both are undersized, speed WLB.... only way Morrow can make it back is if Littleton or Morrow shift to MLB and Kwit would shift to SLB... I don’t see that happening, but Morrow showed he can start as a WLB. I think a team shows him starting WLB money....gone

Exactly.  Ill Miss Morrow but wish him luck And hope he gets paid well.  The chances of him returning are very small.