2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

A guy I’m not going discount in free agency either is ha ha Clinton Dix. 

I wouldn't mind Dix, my only issue with him is why didn't we sign him last year when he was available and our safety play was horrible? 

Boston makes the most sense as he had his best year under Bradley and is only 28 years old. 

3 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

It’s not subject and miss to say that under Paul gunther our defense was ranked in the bottom 5 in the nfl while Gus Bradley In his worst year with the chargers was 22nd(and that’s if you completely ignore him developing the legion of boom from scratch) 

in order to explain the whole studs thing you would have to know why schemes matter it comes down to watching film and seeing what someone is a good fit for versus but they’re not a good fit for So I’m not actually sure if I can explain this one to you in a way that you would be able to understand it.

yes injuries are part of football so I’m not gonna comment there

While I would like a veteran corner like i’ve mentioned earlier, i’m pretty certain that both Mullen and Arnett are going to have much better seasons under Bradley(provided they don’t get hurt) simply based off of the simplified cover 3 scheme that Gus Bradley deploys that low round draft picks and cast off from other teams have thrived in. But again in order for me to explain that in a way for you to understand further it would require you to watch film and have a good understanding of the differences between schemes.

Haha I have forgotten more about football than you will ever understand.  How do you have any idea how much film I watch?  Once again an uneducated, worthless and opinionated guess.

You offer nothing of substance with anything you post.  It's all subjectiveness and your flawed excuse laden opinion.

Once again I ask you what elite level talent we had on D last year?  I also ask you based on our D talent level and Bradly where do you project our D to finish?

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I wouldn't mind Dix, my only issue with him is why didn't we sign him last year when he was available and our safety play was horrible? 

Boston makes the most sense as he had his best year under Bradley and is only 28 years old. 

The way I look at it is 1 Paul Gunther used to run this Super complicated Defense(The Vikings also run it) that I heard has this super dance playbook and that it’s very hard to come off of the street or come in your rookie year and play meaningful snap(unless you’re a D lineman)

As well as not a lot of defense of scale position players they got cut right before the season really got signed anywhere so he wasn’t really the only one.

Also I think his best fit is a single high safety which is what he played it Alabama and Green Bay

• Like 1

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

Haha I have forgotten more about football than you will ever understand.  How do you have any idea how much film I watch?  Once again an uneducated, worthless and opinionated guess.

You offer nothing of substance with anything you post.  It's all subjectiveness and your flawed excuse laden opinion.

Once again I ask you what elite level talent we had on D last year?  I also ask you based on our D talent level and Bradly where do you project our D to finish?

I can actually tell by some of the things you say and how you never provide film to prove any of your points. And then also how you resort to insults whenever I do mention film or scheme brushing it off as an excuse.

see what I mean LOL

I never at any point said that the Raiders had elite defensive talent(although there were players that were considered elite before they got here LOL). But even asking what elite talent we have to prove your point actually is a false premise.

With that being said there are a good amount of teams that were better than us this year on defense they didn’t have a Elite talent that were better than us(min, cin, ten, dal, hou, nyj,) however what help them is that while they don’t have the talent their defense of play caller and/or scheme that they playin helps them to play better than they are. Players knowing what to do can actually help them play better than their ability. 

As for your question about where we’ll finish defensively I think that questions that are answered after the rest of free agency and the draft.  

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I agree with that. They may also be holding out on a safety because they know that they have him in their back pocket. 

25 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think the offensive line "rebuild" is a little overstated. Hudson is obviously a big loss but we had a rag tag group for most of last season. If Richie can stay healthy he's still one of the better guards in the league and Good played as well, if not better, than Jackson last year. 

If we invest an early pick into a RT he should be better than what we had at RT last season. 

Hudson was never a great in the run and without Brown being fit left us with Young being weak.  Dont know much about  the new Centre's but maybe they're better in the run them Hudson (going to be a lot worse in the pass pro).  Get a tackle in that can move people and we'll already look better in the run game. Especially with Richie back 

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Boston and Thomas would both be nice, cheap veteran additions then. I just hope we add a guy before the draft. 

I think we only need the one FS.   We'll take another one early in the draft.  

We won't touch Earl Thomas he got that DV case. 

3 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I agree with that. They may also be holding out on a safety because they know that they have him in their back pocket. 

They probably know the is more safeties then teams needing a starter. If your a vet taking a prove it deal you need to be able to for a team that let's you get snaps so you can make money next year.  We'll probably go FS early in the draft and it's a rookie friendly scheme.   Probably waiting to see who we can get for a bargain price. 

Then use that extra cap on a corner 

1 minute ago, OnlyGlove said:

They probably know the is more safeties then teams needing a starter. If your a vet taking a prove it deal you need to be able to for a team that let's you get snaps so you can make money next year.  We'll probably go FS early in the draft and it's a rookie friendly scheme.   Probably waiting to see who we can get for a bargain price. 

Then use that extra cap on a corner 

That’s also the other side of it. Is that this is one of the most basic schemes in the NFL it just requires talent for it to run well. Theoretically a safety could play their rookie year if they are fit for single high safety. Earl Thomas played his rookie year

17 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I can actually tell by some of the things you say and how you never provide film to prove any of your points. And then also how you resort to insults whenever I do mention film or scheme brushing it off as an excuse.

see what I mean LOL

I never at any point said that the Raiders had elite defensive talent(although there were players that were considered elite before they got here LOL). But even asking what elite talent we have to prove your point actually is a false premise.

With that being said there are a good amount of teams that were better than us this year on defense they didn’t have a Elite talent that were better than us(min, cin, ten, dal, hou, nyj,) however what help them is that while they don’t have the talent their defense of play caller and/or scheme that they playin helps them to play better than they are. Players knowing what to do can actually help them play better than their ability. 

As for your question about where we’ll finish defensively I think that questions that are answered after the rest of free agency and the draft.  

Yes I do watch film, when I want to research a player and can dissect film with anyone.  Do I sit in front of my computer all day long and watch film on David Irving?  I certainly do not.  I have much better things to do with my day.  

I don't see you using film to back up your subjective, excuse laden opinions here.  However,I did see you pull up some worthless clip with someone else's opinion in regards to a juiced out Irving in 2017 which convinced you he is in line for 8 sacks this season LOL  

You think that pulling some clips with other people commenting and giving their opinion is an indication that you personally understand football.  You seriously cant be that dense.  

Houston didn't have elite talent?  What do you call JJ Watt? 

D. Law, Watt, Q. Williams, Lawson, Hunter (Injured) are all better players than anything we had on our D in 2020. 

Where did you have our D finishing last season and what was your stance on M. Collins before the season started.  I am sure you spent hours watching film convincing yourself he would be an impact 3t LOL Time well spent hahahah

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

33 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Yes I do watch film, when I want to research a player and can dissect film with anyone.  Do I sit in front of my computer all day long and watch film on David Irving?  I certainly do not.  I have much better things to do with my day.  

I don't see you using film to back up your subjective, excuse laden opinions here.  However,I did see you pull up some worthless clip with someone else's opinion in regards to a juiced out Irving in 2017 which convinced you he is in line for 8 sacks this season LOL  

You think that pulling some clips with other people commenting and giving their opinion is an indication that you personally understand football.  You seriously cant be that dense.  

Houston didn't have elite talent?  What do you call JJ Watt? 

D. Law, Watt, Q. Williams, Lawson, Hunter (Injured) are all better players than anything we had on our D in 2020. 

Where did you have our D finishing last season and what was your stance on M. Collins before the season started.  I am sure you spent hours watching film convincing yourself he would be an impact 3t LOL Time well spent hahahah

Lol see like clock work you resort to insult to replace the fact that you don’t watch film. 

I can see why you would see the things I would say as excuses because you don’t watch the film to know what skill sets are best for Paul gunthers scheme vs Gus Bradley’s. Good place to start is do you know the difference between Paul Gunther‘s scheme and Gus Bradley’s?

How about Trevon Mullen and Damon Annette? What are their skill sets? Are they best at off man press cover 2 or cover 3? 

Besides Hunter who didn’t play last year, Max Crosby who I called a complementary pass rusher in both the 2019 and 2020 seasons had more sacks than all the people that you mentioned. That’s something to think about isn’t it? 

i’m sure it’s hard to know if I’m lying or not but I wasn’t a big fan of Collins due to the fact that I don’t like defensive tackles can’t play the run. So we were asking someone to start that is really more like a situational guy. And if you really think about it there was not very much of a difference between him and Maurice Hearst. It looked like Paul Gunther was going after some kind of Geno Akins which he obviously wasn’t.

Edited by Jeremy408

3 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Explain to me how we have not taken a step back on O? 

We have holes along the Oline and best case scenario Brown matches NA's stats from last year.  Are you claiming the addition of Drake offsets the loss of Hudson, Jackson and Brown?

What else have we done to not take a step back?

In fairness doing that now is comparing a fully constructed roster with all of free agency and the draft to a team that is literally 4 days into free agency. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison. 

Say we find a way to sign Hooker or Boston, and/or Adore Jackson, and a veteran RT, any or all of that is entirely possible and something we can't factor in currently to this comparison but is why we need to give time for free agency to completely play out. A couple of savy low priced free agents in a couple weeks when most teams are out of cap space (in an off season where that was scarce for the majority of teams to begin with) and it changes things. 

Not to mention there's an entire NFL draft that needs to take place and is the thing most commonly referred to as the thing that must be done well to build a winning NFL football team, and is an idea I wholeheartedly agree with. Free agency is a supplemental talent thing to help aid in building a team, but the foundation is the young guys you draft that are young, fresh, athletic, hungry, bring youthful energy. That is where we can find the guy(s) that change the complexity of this team. 

I have already gone on at length about the OL and how in general the OL can still be good as a better than the sum of the individual parts thing in another post. But I do think the OL thing could be majorly overblown. It absolutely could take a huge step back. OR we could draft a first round RT that hits the ground running and gives us improved RT play over the patchwork guys we had and lazy Trent Brown for an 8th of the season. We could find a receiver that comes in year one in the third or fourth and is an effective possession/redzone guy. Or any number of things. Point being I don't believe it's fair until we even see the event that takes place that brings in the true potential blue chip guys. I think the OL woes is being a little overblown. They were good at pass protection, but a great deal of that is because Carr is decisive and makes quick reads and gets the ball out quickly. Grudens offense is also heavily reliant on the quick short passing game. Makes pass protecting a heck of a lot easier. The OL was also pretty bad IMO at opening up any running lanes. It's entirely possible with some good health fortune we are better there. Not to mention Drake IMO is a substantial upgrade over Booker and running is what makes Grudens entite offense go at it's highest level. We lost a good but very expensive starting center, a slightly above average overall RG (good pass protector, bad run blocker equals average overall) that was also highly paid but less good performance means overpaid. And a lazy RT that was off the field more often than on it that we signed to the richest deal for an OL ever. Hudson can be questioned but the third round pick makes that more debatable on whether it was the wrong move. I genuinely believe moving on from Brown and Jackson were the type of moves good teams make. And the fact we moved on from injury prone and declining players that are extremely highly paid while getting draft compensation for it in a covid effected year makes it that much smarter. 

I also think there's a very real possibility that Brown is better than Nelson last season. I think he has 1000 potential, he's done it in the past. There will be plenty of opportunities. He's proven to be a better NFL player throughout their entire careers. He probably won't be greatly more productive, but slightly, plus a real likelihood he doesn't have as many ill timed drops to kill drives. 

Like all things it will come down to what we do with those picks and the money to replace these guys on whether we improve overall. I won't ramble on about the defense but that unit is clearly improved. Yannick could make a big difference, we didn't add any more elite players, but our DL has some high upside mixed with decent role players, and it's not arguable that it's much deeper. And the last thing I will say is player growth and improvement will be huge for our success. It's no surprise a team won't get better and be able to withstand losing players if the drafted young guys don't grow and do more with their opportunities. If Ruggs steps up and takes Nelson's role and gives us similar production Browns production than becomes a bonus and not an equal replacement. Edwards was drafted to be a possession and red zone monster. He will be given a chance. Both of those guys are talented enough to be productive players. Will they? Only time will tell, but it's the biggest key to our improvement as a team and something you can't quantify to compare this year to last and say which is better. It will come down to guys like Ruggs, Edwards, Moreau, James, etc to improve and be the biggest factor to not dropping off on offense and the staff has made moves to confirm that is the plan and they have belief in them. Who knows if they are correct in placing belief in those guys. But if they improve than additons like Brown and Drake become supplemental pieces that add to our offense instead of trying to replace things.

It's sink or swim time for the young guys that we have brought in and placed faith in being worth considerable resources. It may work, it may not, but that isn't something anyone can bring supporting evidence to show it will improve our team. At the very least lets maybe table the debate over how much we have improved from a complete team with an entire free agency and draft class to a team that is constructed with returning players and 5 days of free agent signings and no draft picks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

My issue is why are we defending this staff while also tossing out the names of guys who haven't played football in over a year as guys who are going to come in and change the team's trajectory. 

If we can't attract FAs who didn't spend last year at home or injured and needing a job, that speaks volumes.

Earl Thomas, Kyle Long, HaHa Clinton Dix. LOL. Well, Malik McDowell apparently wants to come back and play, let's go after him too!

We are the NFL repository for other teams' trash. And people are still defending it. 

Anyways, to answer your question, we didn't sign him because our genius staff felt that Leavitt and Harris were adequate. And we still haven't signed any because our brass is f'n clueless as they have always been. We start guys who can be upgraded by couch surfers. What does that tell you about their ability to scout players?

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Lol see like clock work you resort to insult to replace the fact that you don’t watch film. 

I can see why you would see the things I would say as excuses because you don’t watch the film to know what skill sets are best for Paul gunthers scheme vs Gus Bradley’s. Good place to start is do you know the difference between Paul Gunther‘s game and Gus Bradley’s?

How about Trevon Mullen and Damon Annette? What are their skill sets? Are they best at off man press cover 2 or cover 3? 

Besides Hunter who didn’t play last year, Max Crosby who I called a complementary pass rusher in both the 2019 and 2020 seasons had more sacks than all the people that you mentioned. That’s something to think about isn’t it? 

i’m sure it’s hard to know if I’m lying or not but I wasn’t a big fan of Collins due to the fact that I don’t like defensive tackles can’t play the run. So we were asking someone to start that is really more like a situational guy. And if you really think about it there was not very much of a difference between him and Maurice Hearst. It looked like Paul Gunther was going after some kind of Geno Akins which he obviously wasn’t.

You've shown me nothing in terms of football comprehension in your 2 months on this website and have shown one video of someone else's film breakdowns from youtube and try to justify that as you watching film and being educated on football.  I seriously couldn't make this up if I tried....

Bradley runs a cover 3 and Gunther 4-3 base, press man/ double A gap, frequent use of 4-2-5 nickel in passing situations, doesn't blitz much, stop the run first mentality.... blah blah.  Now we have players drafted/signed who were supposed to excel under for Gunthers press man scheme and are switching to a cover 3.  I hope our at best average talent players from 2020 can adjust. Hahaha

If you're trying to tell me that you think Maxx is on the same level as Q. Williams, Watt, Hunter or D. Law then that completely confirms that your football comprehension is below average.  

I also don't believe you regarding Collins and as you posted earlier you expect Irving to have 8 sacks as our 3t this season based on the film you;ve spent all this time watching LOL  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz