2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I said this to someone earlier but I think they expect tre Boston or ha ha to be there late in free agency. 

We need to clear up cap space and trim some fat.  I read we are currently 1.8 over but didn't confirm.

MM needs to be gone and hopefully we can deal him, Richard cut and Nassib....  Well I hope he's gone but it appears he will be here.  Another worthless signing that never panned out.

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

We need to clear up cap space and trim some fat.  I read we are currently 1.8 over but didn't confirm.

MM needs to be gone and hopefully we can deal him, Richard cut and Nassib....  Well I hope he's gone but it appears he will be here.  Another worthless signing that never panned out.

I think Nassib will have a decent year.  I think it is smart also how they did his contract this time considering the situation.  

7 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Nassib is not only the worst signing in the Gruden Mayock era but it’s one of the worst signings I’ve ever seen. 

there’s no excuse for signing a player that’s never had more than six sacks for 9 million as a 3rd edge rusher. That’ll never make sense.

I think Richard has to go in order for a Kenyan Drake signing to make sense.

I think with Mariota they’re just trying to see if they can trade him or not and usually the draft is a good time to trade because that’s when a team knows for sure whether or not they missed out on maybe a quarterback that they were aiming for.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Explain to me how we have not taken a step back on O? 

We have holes along the Oline and best case scenario Brown matches NA's stats from last year.  Are you claiming the addition of Drake offsets the loss of Hudson, Jackson and Brown?

What else have we done to not take a step back?

Not an action done by the fo, but i expect more from ruggs and edwards after a 2nd offseason/preseason. 

Imo the loss on the oline is mainly Hudson. Brown had only negative impact and imo Jackson is replaceable. Realy depends on incognitos health.

6 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

Ferrell is perfect for the base end too, I can see him having a break out year if he stays healthy he actually looekd really good last year, on the tape he looked a lot better then his stats said.

This is a really good point. I think sometimes we can get caught up in the stats but when you watch him play it's clear Ferrell has improved and if he's healthy this year and gets a consistent run of games I think he will surprise a few people. His hand usage, play strength, leverage and get off seemed to improve last year. He was my anticipated break out player last year and sadly it didn't materialise for one reason or another but I think we may be sleeping on him this year............ we'll see 😀

58 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

This is a really good point. I think sometimes we can get caught up in the stats but when you watch him play it's clear Ferrell has improved and if he's healthy this year and gets a consistent run of games I think he will surprise a few people. His hand usage, play strength, leverage and get off seemed to improve last year. He was my anticipated break out player last year and sadly it didn't materialise for one reason or another but I think we may be sleeping on him this year............ we'll see 😀

At the moment we have different members of the forum pumping up Irving, Thomas, Nassib, Ferrell and Jefferson. Gonna be interesting how much game time they all get and Hurst. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roninho said:

Not an action done by the fo, but i expect more from ruggs and edwards after a 2nd offseason/preseason. 

Imo the loss on the oline is mainly Hudson. Brown had only negative impact and imo Jackson is replaceable. Realy depends on incognitos health.

The Raiders O-line was ranked 24 in the NFL and the D-line was 26 there is no where to go but up.

6 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

In fairness doing that now is comparing a fully constructed roster with all of free agency and the draft to a team that is literally 4 days into free agency. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison. 

Say we find a way to sign Hooker or Boston, and/or Adore Jackson, and a veteran RT, any or all of that is entirely possible and something we can't factor in currently to this comparison but is why we need to give time for free agency to completely play out. A couple of savy low priced free agents in a couple weeks when most teams are out of cap space (in an off season where that was scarce for the majority of teams to begin with) and it changes things. 

Not to mention there's an entire NFL draft that needs to take place and is the thing most commonly referred to as the thing that must be done well to build a winning NFL football team, and is an idea I wholeheartedly agree with. Free agency is a supplemental talent thing to help aid in building a team, but the foundation is the young guys you draft that are young, fresh, athletic, hungry, bring youthful energy. That is where we can find the guy(s) that change the complexity of this team. 

I have already gone on at length about the OL and how in general the OL can still be good as a better than the sum of the individual parts thing in another post. But I do think the OL thing could be majorly overblown. It absolutely could take a huge step back. OR we could draft a first round RT that hits the ground running and gives us improved RT play over the patchwork guys we had and lazy Trent Brown for an 8th of the season. We could find a receiver that comes in year one in the third or fourth and is an effective possession/redzone guy. Or any number of things. Point being I don't believe it's fair until we even see the event that takes place that brings in the true potential blue chip guys. I think the OL woes is being a little overblown. They were good at pass protection, but a great deal of that is because Carr is decisive and makes quick reads and gets the ball out quickly. Grudens offense is also heavily reliant on the quick short passing game. Makes pass protecting a heck of a lot easier. The OL was also pretty bad IMO at opening up any running lanes. It's entirely possible with some good health fortune we are better there. Not to mention Drake IMO is a substantial upgrade over Booker and running is what makes Grudens entite offense go at it's highest level. We lost a good but very expensive starting center, a slightly above average overall RG (good pass protector, bad run blocker equals average overall) that was also highly paid but less good performance means overpaid. And a lazy RT that was off the field more often than on it that we signed to the richest deal for an OL ever. Hudson can be questioned but the third round pick makes that more debatable on whether it was the wrong move. I genuinely believe moving on from Brown and Jackson were the type of moves good teams make. And the fact we moved on from injury prone and declining players that are extremely highly paid while getting draft compensation for it in a covid effected year makes it that much smarter. 

I also think there's a very real possibility that Brown is better than Nelson last season. I think he has 1000 potential, he's done it in the past. There will be plenty of opportunities. He's proven to be a better NFL player throughout their entire careers. He probably won't be greatly more productive, but slightly, plus a real likelihood he doesn't have as many ill timed drops to kill drives. 

Like all things it will come down to what we do with those picks and the money to replace these guys on whether we improve overall. I won't ramble on about the defense but that unit is clearly improved. Yannick could make a big difference, we didn't add any more elite players, but our DL has some high upside mixed with decent role players, and it's not arguable that it's much deeper. And the last thing I will say is player growth and improvement will be huge for our success. It's no surprise a team won't get better and be able to withstand losing players if the drafted young guys don't grow and do more with their opportunities. If Ruggs steps up and takes Nelson's role and gives us similar production Browns production than becomes a bonus and not an equal replacement. Edwards was drafted to be a possession and red zone monster. He will be given a chance. Both of those guys are talented enough to be productive players. Will they? Only time will tell, but it's the biggest key to our improvement as a team and something you can't quantify to compare this year to last and say which is better. It will come down to guys like Ruggs, Edwards, Moreau, James, etc to improve and be the biggest factor to not dropping off on offense and the staff has made moves to confirm that is the plan and they have belief in them. Who knows if they are correct in placing belief in those guys. But if they improve than additons like Brown and Drake become supplemental pieces that add to our offense instead of trying to replace things.

It's sink or swim time for the young guys that we have brought in and placed faith in being worth considerable resources. It may work, it may not, but that isn't something anyone can bring supporting evidence to show it will improve our team. At the very least lets maybe table the debate over how much we have improved from a complete team with an entire free agency and draft class to a team that is constructed with returning players and 5 days of free agent signings and no draft picks. 

This is an excellent post, you've perfectly articulated what I think is the plan. I was very concerned after losing Hudson but taking emotion out of the decision, let's see what they do next in FA and the draft and reassess then 🙂

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dessie said:

At the moment we have different members of the forum pumping up Irving, Thomas, Nassib, Ferrell and Jefferson. Gonna be interesting how much game time they all get and Hurst. 

Yeah, it's impossible to tell right now. We probably can have a pretty good idea of the roles Ngakoue and Hankins will have but for everybody else we'll have to wait and see.

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Bradley blitzed less than any DC in the league in 2020. His system is entirely dependent on the front 4 being able to generate consistent pressure. 

Could that possibly have something to do with personnel too though, I mean he did have guys like Bosa, Nwosu and Ingram (albeit Ingram was injured)........did he blitz infrequently with most of his defences over the years? Not doubting it at all, just not sure if it's a characteristic or if it depends on players at his disposal? I thought the Seahawks blitzed quite a bit when he was there with Chancellor, Irvin and a DB who's name escapes me. 

6 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Isn’t it literally impossible to be over the cap? League won’t approve a transaction if it puts you over the cap. 

overthecap and spotrac show different numbers as well

6 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Nassib is not only the worst signing in the Gruden Mayock era but it’s one of the worst signings I’ve ever seen. 

there’s no excuse for signing a player that’s never had more than six sacks for 9 million as a 3rd edge rusher. That’ll never make sense.

Unfortunately i can remember a bunch in the final part of the Al Davis era. Javon Walker, Gibril Wilson, Kwame Harris and Deangelo Hall in one offseason anyone?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Could that possibly have something to do with personnel too though, I mean he did have guys like Bosa, Nwosu and Ingram (albeit Ingram was injured)........did he blitz infrequently with most of his defences over the years? Not doubting it at all, just not sure if it's a characteristic or if it depends on players at his disposal? I thought the Seahawks blitzed quite a bit when he was there with Chancellor, Irvin and a DB who's name escapes me. 

In 4 years as the Chargers DC he blitzed less than any DC in that same time span. 

• Like 1