2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

17 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Is anyone currently feeling good about this roster? Even adding a vet CB/FS, I can't see how this roster can compete with KC in the division or makes the playoffs. Wasn't 2021 suppose to be playoffs or bust?  

The moves feel erratic and roster feels worse than it was a year ago. The Oline feels unstable. There isn't a guy on it who is a stud. Kolton is solid. Add Yannick was a nice, but there are question marks at every other spot. 

This roster feels built more for the future and 2021 being a "prove it" year for a lot of young players and draft picks.

Really don't see any encouraging signs for this coming season. 

Yup I said I few pages back this is a developmental year. It's way to many " if we stay healthy, if this guy and this guy progress, if this one year signing shows potiental", for this to be considered a good roster. I thought based on teams we play and gruden being able to run an offense. It will still be a 9-7 year. 

It's alot of one and two year contracts on this team. Carr and the 1st mayock draft class including. This is the year to see what you got in all those guys. James and good as a full time starters. Abram, mullens and Arnette in a better system. Ferrell with better dline talent beside him. Crosby in a better role. The whole roster is in Flux. Not sure how anybody can argue that. There isn't many players on team not on a rookie deal that we know will be here in 2 or 3 years. 

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

This is an excellent post, you've perfectly articulated what I think is the plan. I was very concerned after losing Hudson but taking emotion out of the decision, let's see what they do next in FA and the draft and reassess then 🙂

I appreciate it man. I fully acknowledge that I try to stay optimistic and that this team over the past 20 years has rarely ever rewarded that, and there is definitely a ton of things you can look at as examples on why Gruden 2.0 shouldn't have the benefit of the doubt. 

But for me defensively is where most of that blame and doubt can go. Offensively speaking, Gruden isn't perfect, but I still have quite a bit of confidence in him. He has shown me enough steady improvement and such to believe he can still construct and engineer a top 10 NFL offense. I actually think Gruden wants to get the bulk of the credit for breaking through and winning with a dominant offense, but wants to be the trend setter for today's NFL in sparking a return to a more balanced/run orientated approach. Because most guys today want to throw it 50 times a game. Gruden has shown not only does it want to, but will invest heavily in making his offense go on the foundation of pounding the rock. I genuinely think the offense will be fine. It might be worse in some areas, but better in others. He'll have the offense good enough. And even if you don't believe in Grudens offense as much as I do, having a Darren Waller, Josh Jacobs, and a proven franchise QB in Carr makes having a terrible offense unlikely IMO. 

Defensively even I am more pessimistic about. I thought letting Gunther go before last season was the obvious call. And there was very little bright spots on that unit last season. But I do believe Bradley is a solid DC and will put a heavier approach on the basics. More simplistic scheme to let guys play faster without so much on their plate, and will preach fundamentals on tackling and such. And I like the moves we have made on defense this off season. I don't think the defense can get much worse so at least some slight improvement should be expected. Heck if we can even just get lucky and force a bunch of turnovers even while being as bad as we were performance wise we probably win another game or two last season. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Is anyone currently feeling good about this roster? Even adding a vet CB/FS, I can't see how this roster can compete with KC in the division or makes the playoffs. Wasn't 2021 suppose to be playoffs or bust?  

The moves feel erratic and roster feels worse than it was a year ago. The Oline feels unstable. There isn't a guy on it who is a stud. Kolton is solid. Add Yannick was a nice, but there are question marks at every other spot. 

This roster feels built more for the future and 2021 being a "prove it" year for a lot of young players and draft picks.

Really don't see any encouraging signs for this coming season. 

The defense is still a major question mark but ideally we'll add another CB/FS in the draft or free agency. I actually have some faith in our defense improving this season though. Bradley is a better coach than Guenther and I think guys like Crosby, Yannick, Littleton, Kwit, and Abram will all play better in his scheme. The interior pass rush is still a question mark but we have some potential sleepers there. 

The offensive line was pretty unstable last two years and we still finished in the top 10 in both ypg and ppg in 2020. Hudson was obviously the anchor of the unit but Gabe Jackson missed a bunch of time in 2019, Trent Brown missed a ton of time in 2019/2020, and Richie Incognito missed all of 2020. 

These are definitely big "if's" and hypotheticals at this point but if we can draft a RT early that's ready to start from day 1, I think that our OL is in decent shape, assuming health. Miller - Incognito - Martin/James - Good - 1st round rookie isn't the worst group you could put out there and our OL wasn't great last season anyways. Cable has honestly been one of the better coaches on the staff and I have some confidence in him that we'll be able to put a solid line together. 

As far as competing with Kansas City did you watch the two games last season? We scored 71 points in our two matchups against them and if it weren't for a boneheaded mistake by Abram at the end of the second game we would've beaten them twice. Our offense should be even better this season with the additions of Drake/Brown and the continued development of Waller/Jacobs/Ruggs/Edwards/Moreau/Renfrow. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I was just looking into the top free agents for next year and it looks like half the league is going to be free agents.  I know some of it will change but that list is pretty incredible.

Yeah, if the cap gets back on track like it's expected too next off-season is going to be insane. 

4 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

Would he want to be back up to a high draft pick. Is the price affordable.  When will he be healthy. 

From what I've read he's expected to be 100% by the time training camp starts. If he is healthy I think it's highly unlikely he's backing up a high draft pick or that we even take a RT early considering Schwartz was an All-Pro in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Can’t see them bringing Schwartz in. Would be a strange move having spent the off season reducing the cost of your line, only to spend the money it would take to sign him.

At 32 coming off of a back injury how big of a deal is he really going to get? I'd expect it to be similar to what Kyle Long got. 

In Schwartz 5 years in KC his salary APY was $7.5M. He also had $3.75M in dead cap when the Chiefs cut him, which I believe they have to pay him in 2021. So I doubt he's going to break the bank wherever he signs. 

https://overthecap.com/player/mitchell-schwartz/296/

The most he has ever made in a season is $10.8M according to OTC. So with $3.75M coming from the Chiefs we could sign him on a 1 yr/$6-7M deal and it'd be his highest salary ever. 

Edited by NYRaider

12 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Nassib is not only the worst signing in the Gruden Mayock era but it’s one of the worst signings I’ve ever seen. 

there’s no excuse for signing a player that’s never had more than six sacks for 9 million as a 3rd edge rusher. That’ll never make sense.

This is the ripple effect of trading Mack. Gruden got desperate for pass rush. Then overdrafted Ferrel and paid big money for Nassib. The trade set them back in multiple ways.