2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

51 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I really liked Rankins coming out of Louisville, not sure he'll live up to the contract though. Needs to stay healthy and we'll see how he looks when he's not playing alongside other All-Pros on the DL. 

He's playing next to Q. Williams and Lawson.  Those guys are not chump change and that is why I think he lives up to his contract if he can remain healthy.  In LV he would have been our only inside force in NY he will be seeing a lot of one on ones.  

44 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:
‘One of the best DE's in football when healthy but I think we're set at DE now that we have YN and you're right he would want 20+ which we can not afford to do with so many others holes to fill. I am now fascinated to see how we address the interior DL. I would like to double dip on Rankins and S. Thomas for 10 million total. That would give us some rotational pieces along the front.”

that part I don’t necessarily disagree with from a theoretical standpoint(that comes down to it whoever signs him has to think he’s more than a rotational player because obviously 8 million is too much for that)

that being said Solomon Thomas I think gives us options because he only cost 5 million at most(that’s absolute most). And he also has the absolute talent to become the starting 3T. He was completely used wrong in San Francisco he has a chance to be a steal but at the very least he’s a rotational guy that if he gets hurt or doesn’t materialize we can just get rid of in a year. That’s actually why I think the Raiders have all of the interior guys on one of your deals they want to see which one sticks which I am 1000% for that. It’s actually really smart(get a bunch of talented guys that are coming from weird situations, possibly draft a guy Day two or later give them all the same coaching from a D lineman that they say is supposed to be really good And see who sticks because you’re not committed to any of them). I think it’s the best you can do with what was available at defensive tackle this off-season.

Rankins is coming off of an injury and is not Aaron Donald who will be seeing 850+ snaps.  He would be our best option at 3T and would see the majority of snaps there if he remains healthy. 

Those two pieces combined with what we currently have and Nixon who I projected to us in the 2nd would form a nice rotation to keep all of our interior D lineman fresh. At 2 years and 16 million is what I projected, you cut bait after 1 year with not much ventured or lost if he cant remain healthy or is injured again.  Well worth the risk for a top 12 pick coming off of 2 injury plagued seasons. 

I suppose anyone not playing 100 percent of the snaps is technically a rotational piece so if one is splitting hairs nearly every player is technically a rotational piece.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The Jets have a lot lower risk than we do. They are a pretty mediocre team and have a lot more $$$ to work with. I'm fine with our investment at DT, as long as we don't pass on a good one in the draft.

We still have nothing on our interior Dline that can get after the QB.  Time will tell if Rankins would have been a better investment at 8 as opposed to Thomas at 5.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I really liked Rankins coming out of Louisville, not sure he'll live up to the contract though. Needs to stay healthy and we'll see how he looks when he's not playing alongside other All-Pros on the DL. 

That was actually my point from the very beginning. That the line was one of the best in the NFL the last 3-4 years. That’s definitely something that we can’t just overlook. And of course it’s definitely something that we all keep an eye on this season. 

23 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Do we know what the incentives are.  Sometimes they are team incentives and sometimes personal.  

No idea.... Nothings been announced to my knowledge.  If forced to guess, id assume their a mixture of gameday/active bonuses, given the fact he’s coming of an injury, as well as playing time incentives or stat/pro bowl incentives.

whatever the incentives are they’re most likely going to be “unlikely to be achieved incentives” so they don’t cost towards the cap unless he hits them.

5 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Robert Saleh probably doesn't negotiate contracts.

And has never been a head coach or a personnel decision maker. The 49ers had a top 10 defense and a winning record in 1/4 years he was their defensive coordinator.

That defense was stacked too with Richard Sherman finally healthy, the additions of Fred Warner and Kwon Alexander at LB, and a defensive line that featured Bosa, Ford, Armstead, Buckner, and Thomas. From a talent perspective that was one of the most talented defenses we've seen in the league the last decade. 

If you remove their one great year in his other 3 seasons there they gave up an average of 25.1 ppg. For comparison, in 3 years with Ken Norton Jr as our defensive coordinator we gave up 24.1 ppg.