2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'm not complaining, I'm just prepared for a 5-6 win season. 

You really think this team is going to be significantly worse than last year? I'm trying to be unbiased, but man that's pretty bleak. Our defense was historically bad, I can't see them getting worse. I prepared for another 8 win season or so.  Pass rush should be better, Carr may be sacked a bit more. All things being equal I think it evens out: We don't start out as hot as we did but also don't go practically winless down the stretch. 

• Like 1

overall I like what we did in free agency:

players signed or retained

QB: MM, Peterman

RB- Drake, Theo

WR- John Brown, Snead, Zay

TE- Carrier

OL- Richie, Good, N Martin

DL- Jefferson, Thomas, Philon, Yannick, Dickerson, Irving, Hankins

LB- Morrow

DBs- Joseph, Lawson, Gaulden

the only two moves I probably would have skipped would have been Lawson, and Zay Jones

Edited by Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, NickButera said:

You really think this team is going to be significantly worse than last year? I'm trying to be unbiased, but man that's pretty bleak. Our defense was historically bad, I can't see them getting worse. I prepared for another 8 win season or so.  Pass rush should be better, Carr may be sacked a bit more. All things being equal I think it evens out: We don't start out as hot as we did but also don't go practically winless down the stretch. 

The offensive line is what scares me the most. Gruden's offense is built around being able to run the ball effectively. Last season we were 7-3 in games we rushed for 100+ yards and 1-5 in games that we didn't. As it stands we really only have two OL that we know are above average to good in Good and Miller. Incognito was good in 2019 but he's 38 and coming off of an Achilles injury so who knows how he'll look. James has started 1 game in his career and didn't play well. The only other NFL caliber OT we have on the roster is Brandon Parker. 

I'm getting shades of 2018 where Carr was sacked 51 times and we had the 25th best rushing offense in the league. Carr crumbles under pressure and we're going to have a rebuilt, inexperienced offensive line protecting him. 

Gus Bradley should help but our pass rush is still a question mark, especially with a coach like Bradley who blitzes less than anyone in the league. And our secondary is unproven, Mullen is the only DB we have that has played at an above average level, everyone else has been a liability in coverage. 

We finished 8-8 last season but if Vic Fangio and Greg Williams didn't crap the bed in clutch time in the Broncos and Jets games we would've finished 6-10 on a 6 game losing streak. We needed miracles and help from opposing coaches to get wins over two of the worst teams in the league.

36 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I like most the guys we kept, but I didn't really like bringing Lawson back. Seemed to be better options for cheap

We didn't address the secondary and took our biggest strength (OL) and made it a major question mark.