2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

8 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Need one more IMO.

How many DL do you think we'll carry? Ferrell, Crosby, Yannick, Nassib, and Hankins are all locks to make the team. That's 5 right there, so then maybe 3/4 of Irving, Jefferson, Thomas, Philon, and a draft pick which would be 9.

I'm hoping for Tyler Shelvin in the middle rounds and the DL to be: 

DE - Ferrell | Nassib

DT - Jefferson | Irving | Thomas

DT - Hankins | Shelvin

DE - Yannick | Crosby 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

Not sure what our cap situation is looking like or if we can free up any more space but there are still a few intriguing options on the board: 

Richard Sherman: Stop gap CB that knows the scheme and would provide leadership in the locker room and secondary. 

Casey Heyward: Another stop gap CB that knows the scheme and would provide leadership in the secondary. 

Mitchell Schwartz: One of the best RT's in the league when healthy, dealt with a back injury last season but will reportedly be 100% by training camp. 

KJ Wright: Knows the scheme and has played really well the last two years, would provide some much needed LB depth.

Ricky Wagner: Long time starting RT for the Packers who could be a stop gap OT here.

Alejandro Villanueva: Long time starter in Pittsburgh and former Pro Bowler that could be a stop gap OT. 

11 minutes ago, Roninho said:

If we go parsons in the 1st and sign sherman and heyward would or defense be decent?

It would be improved for sure. I'm not wild about Sherman at this point, but I get the intrigue. I just think his days as a productive CB are behind him, and Joseph + day 1 or 2 pick would make a move to FS redundant. Great as Sherman is, he's not Charles Woodson. 

However, we need our young guys to improve, and Gruden''s hard-on for vets can be a problem when bringing in old players at positions we're likely going to draft early. Last thing we need is someone Wittening snaps away from someone who needs to see the field or be cut. 

10 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

It would be improved for sure. I'm not wild about Sherman at this point, but I get the intrigue. I just think his days as a productive CB are behind him, and Joseph + day 1 or 2 pick would make a move to FS redundant. Great as Sherman is, he's not Charles Woodson. 

Sherman was elite in 2019, he just got hurt in 2020. 

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Sherman was elite in 2019, he just got hurt in 2020. 

Sherman wasn't 33 years old coming off of an injury in 2019. Dude is going to be closer to 34 than 33 for the vast majority of the season.  A 33 year old CB who has missed 16 games over the last 4 seasons is what he is at this point. And one with a history of lower body injuries. 

And in 2020, when he did play, he was starting to get picked on noticeably. If he was anywhere close to his 2019 form, or even expected to be, people wouldn't have been speculating about him switching positions. 

Like I said, I get the intrigue. I also get the intrigue of someone poking a light socket with a paperclip. Intrigue alone doesn't make a good idea.

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

Sherman wasn't 33 years old coming off of an injury in 2019. Dude is going to be closer to 34 than 33 for the vast majority of the season.  A 33 year old CB who has missed 16 games over the last 4 seasons is what he is at this point. And one with a history of lower body injuries. 

And in 2020, when he did play, he was starting to get picked on noticeably. If he was anywhere close to his 2019 form, or even expected to be, people wouldn't have been speculating about him switching positions. 

Like I said, I get the intrigue. I also get the intrigue of someone poking a light socket with a paperclip. Intrigue alone doesn't make a good idea.

I'd sign him on a 1 year, incentive heavy deal. I wouldn't expect him to be a lock down, #1 CB, but I think he could still be a good outside CB for us. Plus he knows the scheme, is a high character guy, and would bring leadership into the locker room. 

Steven Nelson would be another good pick up but I don't think we can afford to pay him with our current cap situation.