Jump to content

2021 Free Agency


Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Haha, yes it's a total 180 in philosophy from the 1st round to the 3rd! 🙃

Parker actually looked passable on the left side though from what I saw so hopefully they abandon the harebrained scheme to play him on the right and he becomes our backup LT. Good can be the backup RT I feel and cover both guard spots too. No need to carry a dead weight like Young then who can only play one spot badly.

Yeah I guess, but I think Cable is massively overrated as a coach. Other than Miller he really hasn't developed anyone here, he inherited a very good group.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah I guess, but I think Cable is massively overrated as a coach. Other than Miller he really hasn't developed anyone here, he inherited a very good group.

Well, he did a decent job last year I reckon whilst missing Incognito for almost a complete year and Brown for most of the season. We seemed to be shopping and changing a fair bit with Young also dropping like a fly after every other series so we had to move Good around and whilst the line wasn't great, particularly in run blocking everyone keeps telling me how awesome the protection for Carr was, so there is that!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

Well, he did a decent job last year I reckon whilst missing Incognito for almost a complete year and Brown for most of the season. We seemed to be shopping and changing a fair bit with Young also dropping like a fly after every other series so we had to move Good around and whilst the line wasn't great, particularly in run blocking everyone keeps telling me how awesome the protection for Carr was, so there is that!!

He did an okay job of moving guys around but our run blocking took a major step back last season. And if guys that he pounded the table for like Simpson and Parker would've been ready to play our OL would've been much better. Our pass blocking is always somewhat over rated because Carr does an excellent job of getting the ball out quick.

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He did an okay job of moving guys around but our run blocking took a major step back last season. And if guys that he pounded the table for like Simpson and Parker would've been ready to play our OL would've been much better. Our pass blocking is always somewhat over rated because Carr does an excellent job of getting the ball out quick.

Our run blocking suffered because our two best run blockers, who are among the league's best at their positions, Brown and Incognito were not in the lineup for the vast majority of the season. Maybe Hudson and Jackson fell off a little but I personally would say Cable did a good job overall keeping the plates spinning whilst guys were dropping right and left.

I agree with you with regard to Carr making the OL appear more effective, he is decisive and gets the ball out quickly easing the pressure for the OL. Essential when we're trotting guys like Young out there.

However, in any Carr discussion we're constantly told that Carr needs elite protection or he's a jibbering wreck and he only performs well because he has such elite protection. Then all of a sudden Carr is the reason our protection looks so good but it's actually not that good............ 🤔 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

However, in any Carr discussion we're constantly told that Carr needs elite protection or he's a jibbering wreck and he only performs well because he has such elite protection. Then all of a sudden Carr is the reason our protection looks so good but it's actually not that good............ 🤔 

Carr definitely starts to get rattled when he's getting hit and has a fumbling problem. But he's also one of the better QB's in the league in getting the ball out quick which means our OL doesn't have to protect him for as long.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2021 at 1:02 AM, Darbsk said:

Our run blocking suffered because our two best run blockers, who are among the league's best at their positions, Brown and Incognito were not in the lineup for the vast majority of the season. Maybe Hudson and Jackson fell off a little but I personally would say Cable did a good job overall keeping the plates spinning whilst guys were dropping right and left.

I agree with you with regard to Carr making the OL appear more effective, he is decisive and gets the ball out quickly easing the pressure for the OL. Essential when we're trotting guys like Young out there.

However, in any Carr discussion we're constantly told that Carr needs elite protection or he's a jibbering wreck and he only performs well because he has such elite protection. Then all of a sudden Carr is the reason our protection looks so good but it's actually not that good............ 🤔 

Two sides of the coin Carr will not hold the ball and take shots downfield if he feels pressured, at the same time he can make them look better when he dinks and dunks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2021 at 11:22 PM, NYRaider said:

Yeah I guess, but I think Cable is massively overrated as a coach. Other than Miller he really hasn't developed anyone here, he inherited a very good group.

i think he deserves some credit for Denzelle Good as well and keeping things together when the OL was without two of its best players last year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

ya, I think Cable has been solid. I don't think people are really overhyping Cable. Most fans don't even know who is, unless you are a Raider or Seahawk fan. 

he got a really bad rep from a lot of fanbases around the NFL for his tenure in Seattle

Edited by Turnobili
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Turnobili said:

he got a really bad rep from a lot of fanbases around the NFL for his tenure in Seattle

Seattle refuses to draft OL.  They finally signed Jackson and drafted an OL this year I believe.  But they typically go for night club bouncers and guys that get rocked in Wal-Mart that are over 6'6".

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Turnobili said:

he got a really bad rep from a lot of fanbases around the NFL for his tenure in Seattle

20 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

ya, I think Cable has been solid. I don't think people are really overhyping Cable. Most fans don't even know who is, unless you are a Raider or Seahawk fan. 

We'll see how good he is this year with an OL he built. He was lucky to inherit a talented group when he took over. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2021 at 3:03 PM, Geezy said:

i think he deserves some credit for Denzelle Good as well and keeping things together when the OL was without two of its best players last year. 

I do not.  Good was already playing well in Indy.  He just had a prick coach that wanted him gone.  He had already logged 1293 snaps and started 20 games with the Colts.  He has continued to improve but I am not giving Cable the credit.  I would if we got him straight out of college.  What good O-linemen has Cable either turned their career around after their play sucked somewhere else or was not considered a good prospect coming out.  Andre James might end up being his first but he has proved almost nothing so far.  Like I have said many times before, Cable has hurt players careers or reached in the draft more than his teams have benefitted from him being there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2021 at 11:55 AM, NYRaider said:

We'll see how good he is this year with an OL he built. He was lucky to inherit a talented group when he took over. 

If Incognito stays healthy I will not be that impressed.  Incognito was a pro bowler 4of the previous 5 seasons he played in before signing with us.  He also has 2 1st round tackles.  A RG who was playing well before we signed him.  Only one that will impress me is James.  He will be a feather in his cap.  So in my eyes he has 4 chances to look bad and 1 to look good.  If Incognito goes down and Simpson plays well then I will start to believe more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

If Incognito stays healthy I will not be that impressed.  Incognito was a pro bowler 4of the previous 5 seasons he played in before signing with us.  He also has 2 1st round tackles.  A RG who was playing well before we signed him.  Only one that will impress me is James.  He will be a feather in his cap.  So in my eyes he has 4 chances to look bad and 1 to look good.  If Incognito goes down and Simpson plays well then I will start to believe more.

And if Incognito doesn't stay healthy then we'll have Cable's guy at LG as well. He has done a good job with Kolton Miller but that's about it. Cable also pounded the table for James Carpenter in Seattle who was pretty similar to Leatherwood and he was a bust. He also pounded the table for us to trade up for Parker over Brown. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

And if Incognito doesn't stay healthy then we'll have Cable's guy at LG as well. He has done a good job with Kolton Miller but that's about it. Cable also pounded the table for James Carpenter in Seattle who was pretty similar to Leatherwood and he was a bust. He also pounded the table for us to trade up for Parker over Brown. 

I completely agree.  I think we should get rid of him but Gruden likes him and even listens to him.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...