2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

On 6/29/2021 at 9:27 AM, Humble_Beast said:

I think they are high on Solomon Thomas. I'm hoping our 3rd round picks are better this year and prove their worth. our defense could really use it. still think our biggest needs going into next year are DT, CB, G I could see those being the top 3 picks 

Hard to really say what our biggest needs will be this early on. LB could also be a huge need for us depending on how our guys play under Gus.

On 7/2/2021 at 12:23 PM, Rolni said:

There is no training for short arms :)

That is his big issue in the NFL IMO. That is why he went UDFA IMO.

Ah, I was wondering why he would be an UDFA, a few guys here really liked him and I thought he'd be a round 5 to 7 pick as a guy who had good tape and production but limited size, maybe there is some kind of 'limit' whereby guys are overlooked. Any ideas why Nixon might have dropped so far? Good tape, good production and Awards etc. I would have loved to pick him up in the draft.

35 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Ah, I was wondering why he would be an UDFA, a few guys here really liked him and I thought he'd be a round 5 to 7 pick as a guy who had good tape and production but limited size, maybe there is some kind of 'limit' whereby guys are overlooked. Any ideas why Nixon might have dropped so far? Good tape, good production and Awards etc. I would have loved to pick him up in the draft.

Check Stils spider chart and % numbers:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/darius-stills

Height, weight, wingspan, armlenght, handsize are all really low. This has to be super rare, that he is this bad in every aspect of size.

If you put his weak bench press to this, which could suggest that he is weak too makes for a total train wreck.

He was able to live off of his athleticism and technique in college, but that is extremely unlikely in the NFL, where every OL is on a different level.

I don't know what was the issue with Nixon. I thought that he was a really good 3T prospect and thought that he would be a 2nd or 3rd dound guy. The fact that he is a 3T only probably limited his options and then maybe some teams felt like he won't be strong enough to be an every down guy. If you think he is a rotational piece only then it is hard to draft him early I guess... 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Height, weight, wingspan, armlenght, handsize are all really low. This has to be super rare, that he is this bad in every aspect of size.

If you put his weak bench press to this, which could suggest that he is weak too makes for a total train wreck.

He was able to live off of his athleticism and technique in college, but that is extremely unlikely in the NFL, where every OL is on a different level.

This is really useful tool, thanks Rolni 👍😀

I knew he was 'small' but I suppose if teams are using analysis like this to help them grade then that makes sense as every team passed on him so there must be some common criteria.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rolni said:

I don't know what was the issue with Nixon. I thought that he was a really good 3T prospect and thought that he would be a 2nd or 3rd dound guy. The fact that he is a 3T only probably limited his options and then maybe some teams felt like he won't be strong enough to be an every down guy. If you think he is a rotational piece only then it is hard to draft him early I guess... 

but they had Sheldon rankins ranked extremely low in comparable categories but he was a first rounder and a guy some here wanted to sign in fa 

Sam mills was too small, brees ,Wilson, Murray were too short. Lol. Not saying stills will succeed but there are endless stories of athletes who defied the odds. They got a metric for “heart”? Lol. 32 teams passed on the “goat” for 5 rounds..... nuff said!!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Devilshark69 said:

Sam mills was too small, brees ,Wilson, Murray were too short. Lol. Not saying stills will succeed but there are endless stories of athletes who defied the odds. They got a metric for “heart”? Lol. 32 teams passed on the “goat” for 5 rounds..... nuff said!!

Sure thing!

But how many short QB's failed?

The exceptions are always the great stories, but there are size thresholds for a reason in the NFL. It is super difficult to succeed with that size. Could Stills be an exception? Sure. But a GM won't put his job on the line with risky decisions like that. That is why he went undrafted and the reason he was signed after the draft by us, is because we bet on him being an exception. You can and should bet on guys like him in the UDFA period or late in the draft if you roster is already strong.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 4:01 PM, Devilshark69 said:

Yeh, my favourite non Raider John Randle is another prime example. I think you can use these tools as guides but at the end of the day a great player on the field should still get drafted on his play, we may be lucky with Stills that he didn't get drafted.........

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, my favourite non Raider John Randle is another prime example. I think you can use these tools as guides but at the end of the day a great player on the field should still get drafted on his play, we may be lucky with Stills that he didn't get drafted.........

Talk about a player that should have been a Raider.  Not saying this because I want to see every great player in a Raiders uniform.  His personality screamed Raider.  Just close your eyes and try to imagine him talking trash in a Raiders uniform.  It is pretty easy.  

John Randle trash talk - YouTube

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Devilshark69 said:

Just think, we could’ve had him and Watson, -3 1rst rd picks......plus all that headache.lol. Sometimes things not happening is a good thing. Of course, nobody has a flippin crystal ball for this kinda sh*t.

While it's always fun to pick at the over reactionary among us who seem to put an outsized value on "name" free agents, this is far too accurate. 

When it comes to offseason issues, Sherman would be one of the last people to cross my mind. 

That said, we would've 100% fielded a real life Mean Machine this year under some people's watch lol

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Uh oh.

“On Richard Sherman: It’s standard practice to hold the suspect in a domestic violence case without bail until he appears before a judge. Per ESPN, Sherman allegedly tried to force his way into the home of a family member & fought with police when they arrived. No one was injured.”  It wasn’t his wife as some are saying. It was someone else in his family who called the cops (probably someone he’s been supporting) all this is standard procedure and being blown up because of who it is. “

Interesting I was curious about the burglary part