2021 Free Agency

21 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I have criticized our front office a lot for moves specifically like this.  They take chances and commit money to players that do not workout and then they have opportunities they can not take because of the idiotic cap moves.  They back themselves into a corner.  A million here and there adds up quickly.

well next offseason we should have free money by these salaries being gone: MM, Richard, Richie, Hankins, Good, Nassib 

I could see us add a stud WR or CB, revamp the DT and Guard units too. 

2 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

well next offseason we should have free money by these salaries being gone: MM, Richard, Richie, Hankins, Good, Nassib 

I could see us add a stud WR or CB, revamp the DT and Guard units too. 

Nassib is still going to cost $4.6 towards the cap if cut, Good is a deal for a starting G,  Incognito costs about what Simpson makes, and Hankins and MM are good deals.  With the exception of Nassib we are going to have to replace them and will probably pay more or use draft capital for it.  I see us keeping Good next year and depending on the cost MM and Hankins also.  Richard is probably gone this year.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

Nassib is still going to cost $4.6 towards the cap if cut, Good is a deal for a starting G,  Incognito costs about what Simpson makes, and Hankins and MM are good deals.  With the exception of Nassib we are going to have to replace them and will probably pay more or use draft capital for it.  I see us keeping Good next year and depending on the cost MM and Hankins also.  Richard is probably gone this year.

we are suppose to have 50m in cap space without cuts. I'm on the fence with Good, let's see how he does as a full time starter. Hankins is pushing 30, I think we can draft his replace or go younger next year for cheaper. MM contract isn't bad but I think he will dip for a chance to start somewhere. Unless Nassib has a good year, I'll take that sunk cost for him. He isn't very good but paid like a starter 

46 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

we are suppose to have 50m in cap space without cuts. I'm on the fence with Good, let's see how he does as a full time starter. Hankins is pushing 30, I think we can draft his replace or go younger next year for cheaper. MM contract isn't bad but I think he will dip for a chance to start somewhere. Unless Nassib has a good year, I'll take that sunk cost for him. He isn't very good but paid like a starter 

Problem with drafting a DT is that you need to give them a year to transition.  Even top picks do not play well their first a lot of the time.  I wish we would have drafted a DT this year.  Nixon and Shelvin would have been good choices in the 4th and the 5th.  MM could because he is a very good backup.  Good showed he can play LT at an above average level last year so at $4.6 million I keep him no matter what.  We are going to need Gs regardless if Simpson and Good workout or not.  We have some cap but that will dry up quickly.  

I can not wait until we can get rid of Littleton's contract.  Not that he can not be a good player but he is getting paid twice what his worth is.  To many bad contracts.  

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Problem with drafting a DT is that you need to give them a year to transition.  Even top picks do not play well their first a lot of the time.  I wish we would have drafted a DT this year.  Nixon and Shelvin would have been good choices in the 4th and the 5th.  MM could because he is a very good backup.  Good showed he can play LT at an above average level last year so at $4.6 million I keep him no matter what.  We are going to need Gs regardless if Simpson and Good workout or not.  We have some cap but that will dry up quickly.  

I can not wait until we can get rid of Littleton's contract.  Not that he can not be a good player but he is getting paid twice what his worth is.  To many bad contracts.  

who are the bad contracts? there isn't that many when you think about. I think Littleton bounces back this year, but he prolly gets cut if he doesn't play at a high level. 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

who are the bad contracts? there isn't that many when you think about. I think Littleton bounces back this year, but he prolly gets cut if he doesn't play at a high level. 

Paying Richard $3.5

Hudson counting $12+ against the cap

$15 for Littleton

$10 for Ferrell  Make a bad pick that early in the draft it turns into a bad contract.

$9 for Nassib  Even if you cut him it still cost $4.6

$8 for Drake

$3.5 for James  Could go either way here.

Beyond just the cost we have a lot of dead money in almost all of the contracts. Combined with a lot of underperforming first round picks that if they do not produce we will have to spend in FA on.  So we will waste more draft capital and cap space.  Until they learn how to draft we will not be set up to succeed in the long run and giving guaranteed money to questionable players just slows down the process.

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I agree we have definitely mishandled the DT position. I really hope we bring in one of the vets.

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Paying Richard $3.5

$15 for Littleton

$10 for Ferrell  Make a bad pick that early in the draft it turns into a bad contract.

$8 for Drake

Beyond just the cost we have a lot of dead money in almost all of the contracts. Combined with a lot of underperforming first round picks that if they do not produce we will have to spend in FA on.  So we will waste more draft capital and cap space.  Until they learn how to draft we will not be set up to succeed in the long run and giving guaranteed money to questionable players just slows down the process.

Heads up: the Raiders are projected to be 50 million under the cap next year

5 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Heads up: the Raiders are projected to be 50 million under the cap next year

Yes but we are going to lose maybe 6 starters and we only have 41 players under contract.  We will spend $7 on draft picks and the only contracts we can save on are players we should probably keep.  We will have to make a decision at QB and whether we replace or resign Carr it is going to cost $10 more because we have not developed a QB behind him.  The cap money will go really fast.  So for us to keep improving this team is going to have to get good at drafting really fast.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I agree we have definitely mishandled the DT position. I really hope we bring in one of the vets.

I just read Thomas is expected to play DE now and will be competing against Ferrell.  Once again this team tried to get cute and screwed up.  I wonder how many people wish they could go back and sign Reed.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Paying Richard $3.5

$15 for Littleton

$8 for Drake

2021:

• Richard isn't even that horrible- on his last year
  • Hudson - okay thats one. man was overpaid and I personally thought it was time to move on

2022: 

• idk where you got have 15m for Littleton. I see 11m which is an overpay, but its not 15m
  • Ferrell could be overpaid if he doesn't develop. if he doesn't show much, we would just be on the hook for 22, we could not pick up his 5 year option
  • Nassib paid contract- take that sunk cost 
  • Drake- if you consider Jacobs is still on a rookie deal for 22, so the money being spent at the position isn't too bad for explosive playmakers 
  • James could be good value if he is actually good

honestly don't think it's that bad

Edited by Humble_Beast
21 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Hankins is pushing 30, I think we can draft his replace or go younger next year for cheaper.

Why are so many guys keen to get rid of Hankins, don't we watch the games? He's been really good for us and is payed very fairly. If you're looking to cut guys to creat cap there's about 40 other guys I'd cut first.

Also, we could draft his replacement and get younger and cheaper but do you think we'll successfully be able to draft a player as good? I don't have belief that we could, and certainly not in the 4th or 5th round which I presume is where most people would look for a run stuffing NT type. Hankins, whilst he's playing well should be the least if our worries over cap hit 🙂

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Why are so many guys keen to get rid of Hankins, don't we watch the games? He's been really good for us and is payed very fairly. If you're looking to cut guys to creat cap there's about 40 other guys I'd cut first.

Also, we could draft his replacement and get younger and cheaper but do you think we'll successfully be able to draft a player as good? I don't have belief that we could, and certainly not in the 4th or 5th round which I presume is where most people would look for a run stuffing NT type. Hankins, whilst he's playing well should be the least if our worries over cap hit 🙂

starters I could see gone in 2022

• John Brown- hoping Edwards and Ruggs are the truth. By this team next year JB is nothing more then a WR4
  • Richie- heard Simpson might be stealing his job 
  • Good - his is okay, I think we can upgrade with a stud. not the biggest of needs but would be nice to add an all pro
  • Hankins - younger and cheaper replacement. Want DT to be an emphasis next offseason
  • Jefferson- feels like a stopgap
  • Hayward- another stopgap in my eyes. hoping Arnette and Mullen step up 
    • Kwiatkoski- this might seem to come out of left field. but if Morrow or Deablo are out playing him, I could see him being a surprise cut. Could use that money on DL, or a stud shut down CB or great WR1
Edited by Humble_Beast
17 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I just read Thomas is expected to play DE now and will be competing against Ferrell.  Once again this team tried to get cute and screwed up.  I wonder how many people wish they could go back and sign Reed.

I think Thomas Farrell are gonna play DTs in the NASCAR package.

• Like 1