2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

7 hours ago, Dessie said:

Carl Lawson Bengals would be someone I’d be interested in. Played LB a bit, good pass rusher probably a tier below the likes of Dupree/Ngakoue.

Yes, Lawson can be a more affordable and potentially as effective signing. There are many defensive players i'd be happy to sign and a bunch could come at very reasonable prices.

Tyus Bowser is another 2nd tier FA i think we should consider to play the SAM in Bradley's scheme.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Yes, Lawson can be a more affordable and potentially as effective signing. There are many defensive players i'd be happy to sign and a bunch could come at very reasonable prices.

Tyus Bowser is another 2nd tier FA i think we should consider to play the SAM in Bradley's scheme.

Yeah with Nassibs contract I’m not sure we would want to pay top money for another DE. Think we need to get a SLB/DE at a reasonable price. 

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

Yeah with Nassibs contract I’m not sure we would want to pay top money for another DE. Think we need to get a SLB/DE at a reasonable price. 

I think they'll restructure Nassib's contract very easily. That roster bonus he's due can be turned into a prorated signing bonus.

1 minute ago, oakdb36 said:

I think they'll restructure Nassib's contract very easily. That roster bonus he's due can be turned into a prorated signing bonus.

Would we want to do that ? Wouldn’t we just play him next year and then have no further gtd money. Or is that to lessen the cap hit if we cut him? 

2 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Would we want to do that ? Wouldn’t we just play him next year and then have no further gtd money. Or is that to lessen the cap hit if we cut him? 

I'd want to do that. His 2021 cap hit would be 6.6M, which is less than 1M more than his dead money hit if he's cut. That's nothing that would allow us to make some move. The dead money for 2022 would be reasonable at around 2.8M. The salary cap should start raising again by then.

3 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I'd want to do that. His 2021 cap hit would be 6.6M, which is less than 1M more than his dead money hit if he's cut. That's nothing that would allow us to make some move. The dead money for 2022 would be reasonable at around 2.8M. The salary cap should start raising again by then.

Ah ok, got you, makes sense. 

March 21st is the date Carl Nassib will have circled on his calendar. That's when his base salary is guaranteed. Which is $3,500,000. The Raiders owe him the $5,750,000 not matter what. So they can cut ties and eat the 5.75 million and not pay the 3.5 which would save them the money towards the salary cap. Do you really want to pay him more money by keeping him and not admit your mistake. His 5.75 million hit can always be spread out over two years. 

You don't restructure his contract you tell him goodbye.

March 21st is also an important date for Nick Kwiatkoski cause thats when his salary becomes fully guaranteed 

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

March 21st is the date Carl Nassib will have circled on his calendar. That's when his base salary is guaranteed. Which is $3,500,000. The Raiders owe him the $5,750,000 not matter what. So they can cut ties and eat the 5.75 million and not pay the 3.5 which would save them the money towards the salary cap. Do you really want to pay him more money by keeping him and not admit your mistake. His 5.75 million hit can always be spread out over two years. 

You don't restructure his contract you tell him goodbye.

March 21st is also an important date for Nick Kwiatkoski cause thats when his salary becomes fully guaranteed 

If we cut Kwit, I'm gonna be pissed. Nassib is meh. He was alright, but I'd rather eat the money and go after someone else.

On 1/24/2021 at 12:47 PM, oakdb36 said:

I like Bowser a LOT as our SAM! He was my surprise FA sign in a mock off-season I’m working on 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we cut Kwit, I'm gonna be pissed. Nassib is meh. He was alright, but I'd rather eat the money and go after someone else.

The Nassib contract is definitely a tough call.  Do you pay 5.75m to cut him or 3.5M more to keep him?  It’s no mans land .... 

how Do you all feel he fits as a 5T DE to backup Ferrell?

27 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I like Bowser a LOT as our SAM! He was my surprise FA sign in a mock off-season I’m working on 

Give me a little early tease :) Who do you have us getting as our 3T?  I am assuming it's someone through the draft.

I have seen more mocks going with Barmore in the 1st and would not be opposed to that.  I still haven't done much research on the player but know 3T is our greatest area of need.  I also wonder if it would be worth passing on Barmore in the 1st and going with a top CB or Edge rusher in hopes that one of the 2nd tier guys (Nixon/Wilson) are available in the 2nd.  I want great players and good value!

I don't care who the 3T is I just want good value and for that player to be elite.  I hope we can land the best in the draft at rushing the passer from the inside and being stout against the run.  We need that player badly!

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

The Nassib contract is definitely a tough call.  Do you pay 5.75m to cut him or 3.5M more to keep him?  It’s no mans land .... 

how Do you all feel he fits as a 5T DE to backup Ferrell?

Eh. It's hard. It really comes down to financials. I think we can do better.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Eh. It's hard. It really comes down to financials. I think we can do better.

Yeah.... the financials is what I mean.

The issue is we’re so “upside down” on him we’d likely struggle to cut him and take the 3.5M and sign a comparable replacement in FA.  
Unless we draft his replacement or get a good deal on a 1yr rental/TryOut Deal DE we’d likely spend more in the long run.  It’s really hard to find 3rd DEs (1st backup) for under $3/3.5M