2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He's playing way way better now that he's used as a west coast WR, not a vertical threat (which he is NOT).

Yeah Zay is solid in the intermediate areas of the field but anytime I see Carr launch a deep ball in his direction I say a prayer under my breath, hoping to god he can draw a penalty. 

$69M to work with but we need like $9M for the rookie class? So $60M to work with if we cut Nassib, Littleton, and Kwit. We could free up another like $7M if we cut Drake and Good but assuming both are healthy they're worth bringing back.

We have a ton of free agents on defense though including Hayward, Philon, Thomas, Jefferson, and Hankins. 

Will be interesting to see how we approach the offseason because we have so much roster flexibility. That is one thing that I will give Mayock credit for, we can pivot quickly this spring. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

A team can only have 2 post june 1 cuts before june 1 with "designation"...

Also don't forget that you make a big dead money for 2023 too this way...

I think Littleton will be a designated after june 1 cut pretty early. 7M DM for 2022 and then 7M DM for 2023. Would mean 8,7M cap saving for 2022!

Kwia will be a normal cut IMO. 5M DM, but still 3,2M cap saving.

Nassib will most probably get cut, but he might stick around if he agrees to a paycut IMO. Will depend on whether we have a new D staff or not. If Bradley and Co stick, he might stay around. A straight cut could save us 3M in cap space and then we won't need to roll DM for 2023...

I think one of the more improtant quests will be to trade Ferrell away somehow, since that way we can save 4,7M on his salary if I'm right about that process...I think only hos signing bonus would stay in our books...

Kenyan Drake could also free up 2,5M if that is needed, however I think I would just keep him for 2022, if he is healthy. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

$69M to work with but we need like $9M for the rookie class? So $60M to work with if we cut Nassib, Littleton, and Kwit. We could free up another like $7M if we cut Drake and Good but assuming both are healthy they're worth bringing back.

We have a ton of free agents on defense though including Hayward, Philon, Thomas, Jefferson, and Hankins. 

Will be interesting to see how we approach the offseason because we have so much roster flexibility. That is one thing that I will give Mayock credit for, we can pivot quickly this spring. 

You don’t save 7M cutting Drake.  His 5.5M Roster Bonus is guaranteed. His 2.5M salary isn’t.  

you could however restructure him and turn his 5.5M RB into a SB with void years and cut him as a June 1st Designation.  With 3 Added void years we’d save 4.125M from the RB/SB plus 2.5m of salary, but we’d have a dead cap of 4.125M in ‘23.

edit: so after writing all that I guess you can save 6.625M (instead of 7M stated above) Cutting Drake.  the point of my post was we’d have to do some maneuvering to get the savings and how it’d be done.  I wasn’t discrediting the Quoted post, just adding to it.  Just trying to Add some information, as its not A simple release and save due to the guaranteed RB.

btw, I have when we do year 2 guaranteed RB’s.  Off the top of my head it Feels like It never works out well for us, but I could be Forgetting some deals.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rolni said:

A team can only have 2 post june 1 cuts before june 1 with "designation"...

Also don't forget that you make a big dead money for 2023 too this way...

I think Littleton will be a designated after june 1 cut pretty early. 7M DM for 2022 and then 7M DM for 2023. Would mean 8,7M cap saving for 2022!

Kwia will be a normal cut IMO. 5M DM, but still 3,2M cap saving.

Nassib will most probably get cut, but he might stick around if he agrees to a paycut IMO. Will depend on whether we have a new D staff or not. If Bradley and Co stick, he might stay around. A straight cut could save us 3M in cap space and then we won't need to roll DM for 2023...

I think one of the more improtant quests will be to trade Ferrell away somehow, since that way we can save 4,7M on his salary if I'm right about that process...I think only hos signing bonus would stay in our books...

Kenyan Drake could also free up 2,5M if that is needed, however I think I would just keep him for 2022, if he is healthy. 

Do players on IR at the start of the season count against the Cap??

I don't think cutting Drake or Good is worth it. They provide value. Littleton and Kwit can be replaced, Perryman pretty much took a LB job over this year and Morrow and Deablo were showing they're worthy of a starting position. Our LB corps wouldn't be too depleted if we got rid of them. 

Nassib is a worthy DE backup who makes plays. Not sure why we'd cut him though. Not sure I'd be a fan. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NickButera said:

I don't think cutting Drake or Good is worth it. They provide value. Littleton and Kwit can be replaced, Perryman pretty much took a LB job over this year and Morrow and Deablo were showing they're worthy of a starting position. Our LB corps wouldn't be too depleted if we got rid of them. 

Nassib is a worthy DE backup who makes plays. Not sure why we'd cut him though. Not sure I'd be a fan. 

We missed morrow this year. Nassib is not worth the $, but is a fine backup player.

2 hours ago, NickButera said:

Nassib cap hit is $9.6m next year which is too much for a backup DE. We should take the post June 1st cut savings and hope Koonce can become the 3rd DE or get a cheaper vet. 

• Like 2