2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Give me a little early tease :) Who do you have us getting as our 3T?  I am assuming it's someone through the draft.

I have seen more mocks going with Barmore in the 1st and would not be opposed to that.  I still haven't done much research on the player but know 3T is our greatest area of need.  I also wonder if it would be worth passing on Barmore in the 1st and going with a top CB or Edge rusher in hopes that one of the 2nd tier guys (Nixon/Wilson) are available in the 2nd.  I want great players and good value!

I don't care who the 3T is I just want good value and for that player to be elite.  I hope we can land the best in the draft at rushing the passer from the inside and being stout against the run.  We need that player badly!

I don’t mean to be a Dk but i will tomorrow.  I’ve been up since 6am and working from 730a .... and it’s 1040PM here and I still have another hour and change left til I can leave.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah.... the financials is what I mean.

The issue is we’re so “upside down” on him we’d likely struggle to cut him and take the 3.5M and sign a comparable replacement in FA.  
Unless we draft his replacement or get a good deal on a 1yr rental/TryOut Deal DE we’d likely spend more in the long run.  It’s really hard to find 3rd DEs (1st backup) for under $3/3.5M

That's why i said earlier the restructure of his roster bonus into a prorated signing bonus seems to make the most sense. It would lower his cap hit to 6.6M and free up 2.87M on the 2021 cap. Imo, the contract is originally structured to be able to do that.

10 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I like Bowser a LOT as our SAM! He was my surprise FA sign in a mock off-season I’m working on 

Statistically, he was excellent in coverage with a low passer rating allowed and 3 ints. According to the chart below, he dropped in coverage a lot.

Er-1EkHW4AIcEwe?format=jpg&name=largeAnd he recorded a good amount of pressures as well. His 20, according to profootballreference, would have been 2nd on the Raiders. He looks like a versatile player and a good fit for the SAM in a 43 under. I don't think he breaks the bank either. There's an issue with missed tackles though.

• Like 1

Tyus Bowser was someone I liked in the first round when he came out. He was definitely on my short list. I am not sure if he is a fit for what Gruden wants to do one defense. I know he fits the SLB role on the Legion of Boom-era Bradley scheme, but it has changed quite a bit since then and Gruden expressly stated he wants "4 bigs" on the field.

I really think defensive tackle needs to be the priority in free agency. Ideally, I would like to see the Raiders sign two quality defensive tackles who can play the run and set the line of scrimmage. I haven't been able to "scout" much this season, but the names on the FA heap that stand out to me are:

• Dalvin Tomlinson
  • Sheldon Rankins
  • Larry Ogunjobi
  • Rakeem Nunez-Roches
  • Poona Ford
  • Davon Godchaux

There are likely more but these are under-30 names I recognize and should come at varying degrees of value.

I think if we....

1. Sign Malik hooker to a cheap deal

2. Keep takk and Irving on a cheap deal 

3. draft one of these pass rushers(barmore, ozzari, Phillips or Rousseau) 

4. Between whatever we don’t get in the first round (DT and edge) we draft in the second round

....I think with a new DC that brings a system that better suited for young players, We’ll be a completely different defense and a completely team 

6 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Statistically, he was excellent in coverage with a low passer rating allowed and 3 ints. According to the chart below, he dropped in coverage a lot.

Er-1EkHW4AIcEwe?format=jpg&name=largeAnd he recorded a good amount of pressures as well. His 20, according to profootballreference, would have been 2nd on the Raiders. He looks like a versatile player and a good fit for the SAM in a 43 under. I don't think he breaks the bank either. There's an issue with missed tackles though.

Thanks for doing a better job explaining why I like him then I would have.... lol.  You nailed it.  He only started 2 or 4 games too I forget so it’s not like he’s going to get PAID.  I think we could get him for 2y, 10m

8 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Tahir Whitehead is one of the dots near the 150 passer rating.

Cant see us getting a premium player but will look for some upside FAs. 

Mailk Hooker could be perfect for the scheme. Hasnt worked out with the Colts and has had injury problems. 

Only have Hurst at DT signed right now.  I like Roy Robertson-Harris to play as a 3tec, think he has some upside. 

Maybe give Desmond King Joyner's money. Knows the scheme already and proven in it. 

10 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

I think if we....

1. Sign Malik hooker to a cheap deal

2. Keep takk and Irving on a cheap deal 

3. draft one of these pass rushers(barmore, ozzari, Phillips or Rousseau) 

4. Between whatever we don’t get in the first round (DT and edge) we draft in the second round

....I think with a new DC that brings a system that better suited for young players, We’ll be a completely different defense and a completely team 

Those are all obvious, and everyone is saying the same things. Really hope MM doesn’t try to get cute or think he is playing chess.

2 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

Cant see us getting a premium player but will look for some upside FAs. 

Mailk Hooker could be perfect for the scheme. Hasnt worked out with the Colts and has had injury problems. 

Only have Hurst at DT signed right now.  I like Roy Robertson-Harris to play as a 3tec, think he has some upside. 

Maybe give Desmond King Joyner's money. Knows the scheme already and proven in it. 

That what we should be doing is signing upside guys on defense, we need to improve the talent and depth... PERIOD. I’m a sucker for former first round picks like Agholor. 

11 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Tyus Bowser has been a huge disappointment as a pass rusher. Ravens whiffed on that pick. Never developed into the pass rusher they thought he would when he came out of Houston. 

If he's really that good in coverage though, it would be a bonus for us. 

We don't rush LBs very often as is. I really don't expect that to change. 

Littleton-Kwit-Bowser would be a solid LB unit. 

Focus our pass rush on the D-line. 

With the TEs and RBs in the division, we could use help in coverage and with Littleton and Bowser playing more coverage from the LB spot, Abram could focus on box run stops. That leaves whoever we (hopefully) upgrade the FS spot with to double cover deep or spy. 

So long as we can get some pressure from the front 4, it would be fine that he's not a great pass rusher, imo. 

Focus our draft/bigger FA signings on DT, EDGE, FS. 

Think:

L. Joyner*      J. Abram

Littleton          Kwit          Bowser

Arnette *Johnson*                              Mullen

Ferrell-Hurst-Wilson-Rousseau

I coule live with that. Bowser shouldn't be super expensive. Joyner might be let go which saves us money and opens up the FS spot. Rounds 1 and 2/3 on the D-Line gives us some depth. And with that, D is done. 

Leaves us a 2nd or 3rd and a 4th to find O-line guys. 

Not a terrible situation if you ask me.