2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

Also, a short extension allows him another contract in the near future when he could make even more than he would now. In 2021, teams have a valid argument to counter any contract demands from the players, the NFL made less money for the first time in decades. The expectations should be it won't be the case 2 or 3 years from now or we're all royally F.

2 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

There's an incentive for Carr. Getting guarantees which he has none left on his current contract.

Yeah this. No way he is just getting an extension to only 'help the team' without him getting something out of it (either more financial guarantees or stuff that makes it harder for him to be traded). 

I'm fine with getting him locked up longer. I think he is at peak trade value right now and you either trade him now or you commit to him for the next 5 years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

There's an incentive for Carr. Getting guarantees which he has none left on his current contract.

That's true, but if he was a FA currently, he'd get paid more than the Raiders will offer in an extension. So why sign a team friendly extension? Guy is subject to trade talks every offseason, he owes the team nothing. 

He's already rich, could easily play out his contract (albeit with some risk) and get paid as a FA or take a couple 40+ franchise tags. Basically the Kirk Cousins approach. 

Any extension he signs he's likely to be underpaid.

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

That's true, but if he was a FA currently, he'd get paid more than the Raiders will offer in an extension. So why sign a team friendly extension? Guy is subject to trade talks every offseason, he owes the team nothing. 

He's already rich, could easily play out his contract (albeit with some risk) and get paid as a FA or take a couple 40+ franchise tags. Basically the Kirk Cousins approach. 

Any extension he signs he's likely to be underpaid.

I don't know why you're calling it team friendly. He's going to get his market value on an extension. The kind of extension Cousins signed last season is exactly what i'd expect him to get. That means he'd get around a 30M signing bonus in 2021 instead of his 19M salary and probably some future base salaries guaranteed. From the team's perspective, they get a bunch of cap room this season. If they chose to trade him later, it creates some dead money but nothing that would make it impossible. It's a win-win.

Just now, oakdb36 said:

I don't know why you're calling it team friendly. He's going to get his market value on an extension. The kind of extension Cousins signed last season is exactly what i'd expect him to get. That means he'd get around a 30M signing bonus in 2021 instead of his 19M salary and probably some future base salaries guaranteed. From the team's perspective, they get a bunch of cap room this season. If they chose to trade him later, it creates some dead money but nothing that would make it impossible. It's a win-win.

Because signing an extension now is the best interest of the team. 

Similar to Cousins, he might get a 2 66 million with 50+ guaranteed? That's spread over the next 4 years. Makes him very tradeable. Benefits the team in the short term. 

Cap will likely increase in 2022 and 2023. An extension now would be a bargain. He could play out, and the franchise tag is probably close to 40 mil when he becomes a FA. 

If I'm Carr, I'm not signing an extension that doesn't pay me high 30's where I can would be tagged at in the next 2 years. And have some security from the team that my contract isn't easy to trade in a year or 2. 

An extension now would be benefit the team. He can play it out and make more money. So really depends on what Carr wants. Benefit the team with cap relief or play it out ultimately make more money.

Sure there is risk, but the guys already made 125 million. He can take that risk if he wanted. 

• Like 1

Ok. Let's assume he plays out his contract and ends up making 40M on the franchise tag in 2023. He'd make 80M over the next 3 years and none of it would be guaranteed at the moment. Or he can sign an extension that averages 30M over the next 3 years, he ends up making 90M over the next 3 years, and 60M is guaranteed the day he signs the contract. Are you telling me it's not in his best interest?

Edited by oakdb36
  • Like 1

Is Ricky Wagner washed? could be a cheap RT option. hope we are smart in free and no Nassib or Witten deals

Spend big on: Edge, UT, Allen Robinson or Kenny G(maybe pipe dream)

maybe spend on: FS , I wouldn't want set the market spending on a FS, its such a good free agent class. 

Look for value: SLB, NT, CB, RB2, QB2, RT

We tackle those position, we can truly go BPA and add talent to the program. No reaching on obvious needs like the last two years. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

6 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Ok. Let's assume he plays out his contract and ends up making 40M on the franchise tag in 2023. He'd make 80M over the next 3 years and none of it would be guaranteed at the moment. Or he can sign an extension that averages 30M over the next 3 years, he ends up making 90M over the next 3 years, and 60M is guaranteed the day he signs the contract. Are you telling me it's not in his best interest?

It's not 90 million over 3 years. You're extending his contract which spreads the money out over the remainder of his current contract and he'd be a FA in 2025. Adds 3 years to his current deal. It's more like 100 over 5 years

Currently, he'll get the remaining 40 on his contract and be a FA in 2023. He would get paid in FA. Or he's tagged twice. Either way, he has potential to make more without extending. 

If he was a FA this year, he'd make more than he will on any extension with the Raiders. I wouldn't sign an extension for less than high 30's per year where that tag is likely to put him.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

It's not 90 million over 3 years.

Yes, it is because that's the hypothesis i'm talking about. There's 1 year added to the contract and the remaining years are restructured. That's called an extension though.

Edited by oakdb36

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

That would be one hell of a dark horse.... The Raiders make no sense for Watt if he's trying to win a ring. What could he possibly add to his career in Vegas? 

this is his agent using the Raiders to drive up his prices. . . The Raiders are offering this 25m/yr deal, can you match it lol