2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

On 2/24/2021 at 6:03 PM, drfrey13 said:

We need to focus on getting the QB situation under control.  For any players that uses winning or playing for a potential playoff team they need to see that we have the most essential player locked up and ready to go along with the coaches and front office having a singular plan.  Money is generally the #1 factor but you have to sell the player on the city and the organization.  You want Carr meeting with potential FAs and them asking if he is going to be the starter next year.  Like it or not Carr is our ambassador to potential FAs.

Yep. This has been a thorn in our side. Too much chatter about Carr doesn't help us. In a way, it's like getting rid of Mack again- everyone pretty much knew it was coming and didn't help us much at all. 

Outside of Carr, all we have is a bunch of unknowns. 2-3 O-line spots up for grabs, no true #1 WR someone is itching to play with, lackluster depth at RB where we weren't lighting the world on fire. 

On D, we have next to nobody with the kind of credibility it takes to attract people here in a meaningful way. 

We've got Waller and Carr as established guys (aka: not just "full of potential"). And love him as I do, TEs aren't exactly selling points. 

I know Carr catches some flak from fans, but I've generally heard he's fairly well regarded amongst players. The QB limbo we seem to play doesn't help us in that regard. It makes us look like we don't have a clear direction, and it makes us look non-committal to players.

If folks want to grab a superstar QB that's fine. If the coaching staff wants to, that's fine too. Nobody is saying we have to be married to Carr until he retires. But you don't dilly dally around it endlessly. The Carr trade rumors were around last year too. I understand the brass wants to wait and see what might come along, but if you constantly fail to endorse the guy you have, you're going to have a tough time attracting those you don't. The almost yearly "Will we, won't we" game we play with Carr needs to be put to rest. Either endorse the guy or make him unequivocally available for trade. "We're not 'currently' listening to offers for Derek Carr" isn't inspiring anyone. 

Maybe making him absolutely available signals a rebuild and some guys get attracted by the idea of who we might bring along. Maybe we attract some guys who he can sit with and say "What I'm expecting next year from you is this or that". But you're right, the uncertainty is definitely not an attractive thing. 

31 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I wouldn't be mad if we sign 2 defensive tackles AND draft one in the first 3 rounds. Keep throwing **** at the wall until it sticks.

That's what I have been saying.  Sign Rankins and Tomlinson then if value presents itself in the 2nd for a 3T like Nixon pull the trigger.  We have nothing on our interior Dline that should be starting. Building up the interior Dline needs to be Mayocks focal point this offseason.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yep. This has been a thorn in our side. Too much chatter about Carr doesn't help us. In a way, it's like getting rid of Mack again- everyone pretty much knew it was coming and didn't help us much at all. 

Outside of Carr, all we have is a bunch of unknowns. 2-3 O-line spots up for grabs, no true #1 WR someone is itching to play with, lackluster depth at RB where we weren't lighting the world on fire. 

On D, we have next to nobody with the kind of credibility it takes to attract people here in a meaningful way. 

We've got Waller and Carr as established guys (aka: not just "full of potential"). And love him as I do, TEs aren't exactly selling points. 

I know Carr catches some flak from fans, but I've generally heard he's fairly well regarded amongst players. The QB limbo we seem to play doesn't help us in that regard. It makes us look like we don't have a clear direction, and it makes us look non-committal to players.

If folks want to grab a superstar QB that's fine. If the coaching staff wants to, that's fine too. Nobody is saying we have to be married to Carr until he retires. But you don't dilly dally around it endlessly. The Carr trade rumors were around last year too. I understand the brass wants to wait and see what might come along, but if you constantly fail to endorse the guy you have, you're going to have a tough time attracting those you don't. The almost yearly "Will we, won't we" game we play with Carr needs to be put to rest. Either endorse the guy or make him unequivocally available for trade. "We're not 'currently' listening to offers for Derek Carr" isn't inspiring anyone. 

Maybe making him absolutely available signals a rebuild and some guys get attracted by the idea of who we might bring along. Maybe we attract some guys who he can sit with and say "What I'm expecting next year from you is this or that". But you're right, the uncertainty is definitely not an attractive thing. 

This. It’s getting old either commit or trade him. I know it’s a business but dam it’s hard to move forward when you don’t know what you have in the building. Also doesn’t help carr taking on a leadership role. Hard to respect a guy who’s being shopped every year.

I'm back and forth about T. Brown, he's elite when out there, but obviously 4-6 games not worth the money. Unless we have a solid RT lined up for draft or FA, not sure what we do. Backup RT's didnt get it done. 

With that said, Obviously FS/DT is big for us to grab more than RT. Then We need a real #1 to pair with Ruggs. Edwards may develop into that guy but didn't see him get ton of seperation. I like Nellie but at what cost? 10mill/year sure i could do it for that. 15/year? dunno if i pay him that over some of the others guy a little more. 

9 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

This. It’s getting old either commit or trade him. I know it’s a business but dam it’s hard to move forward when you don’t know what you have in the building. Also doesn’t help carr taking on a leadership role. Hard to respect a guy who’s being shopped every year.

How do you know he's being shopped every year?  Is it because the media says so?  I have news for you, don't believe everything you read...

Any GM with half a brain would be looking for an upgrade at any position if the value is there but to think that we are actively shopping Carr every offseason is downright foolish.  This is the slow part of the offseason where these talking head stooges on TV need clicks on their twitter feed and you guys eat this garbage up like it's gospel.  It's actually quite amusing how gullible some people can be....

1 hour ago, roi34 said:

I'm back and forth about T. Brown, he's elite when out there, but obviously 4-6 games not worth the money. Unless we have a solid RT lined up for draft or FA, not sure what we do. Backup RT's didnt get it done. 

With that said, Obviously FS/DT is big for us to grab more than RT. Then We need a real #1 to pair with Ruggs. Edwards may develop into that guy but didn't see him get ton of seperation. I like Nellie but at what cost? 10mill/year sure i could do it for that. 15/year? dunno if i pay him that over some of the others guy a little more. 

He wants out by the looks of his social media and i'd let him.

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

How do you know he's being shopped every year?  Is it because the media says so?  I have news for you, don't believe everything you read...

Any GM with half a brain would be looking for an upgrade at any position if the value is there but to think that we are actively shopping Carr every offseason is downright foolish.  This is the slow part of the offseason where these talking head stooges on TV need clicks on their twitter feed and you guys eat this garbage up like it's gospel.  It's actually quite amusing how gullible some people can be....

Well carr reads/hears it too and it gets in his head. He even commented on it last year multiple times.

12 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

That's what I have been saying.  Sign Rankins and Tomlinson then if value presents itself in the 2nd for a 3T like Nixon pull the trigger.  We have nothing on our interior Dline that should be starting. Building up the interior Dline needs to be Mayocks focal point this offseason.   

Yeah the Interior rush matters for us to address wayy more than the edge rush(contrary to popular belief). I believe that we Will be looking at Clelin Ferrell and Max Crosby in a very different light if we address that properly this year. 

If we’re going to get another edge rusher it should be Azeez ojulari because he can play that linebacker position that Bruce Irvin played where work out come down to rush the passer on third down rather than out right replacing either of them(Yet lol)

With that being said I really like Jalen Phillips

14 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Titans waived Breon Borders. Not a star by any means, but I seem to recall some interest from some other Raiders fans when he first came out. 

Anyone got a scoop on him?

lol... Borders was an URFA with the Raiders in 2017. One of those training camp / preseason hyped players this fan base loses their mind over when they get cut.

He's been on 7 rosters, hasn't stuck with any of them, all you need to know.

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

lol... Borders was an URFA with the Raiders in 2017. One of those training camp / preseason hyped players this fan base loses their mind over when they get cut.

He's been on 7 rosters, hasn't stuck with any of them, all you need to know.

But he was solid last season in his most extensive action so far. I'm actually surprised he was waived.